Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Snowboard face masks to fight the wind?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 10:06 AM
No Sidewalks.

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody try this? I was thinking it would be a sweet deal and I'd look pretty tough haha.

Or maybe a bandana.
Old 05-13-08, 10:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a neoprene ski mask in the winter for my commutes. They work very well.
Old 05-13-08, 11:12 AM
Super Scientist

Bikes: Novara Corsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My contacts get really dry from wind in face.
Old 05-13-08, 11:20 AM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The actual Ski Mask brand ones (neoprene with the nose and holes over mouth) I think would get pretty hot.

I prefer a loose fitting neck-gaiter or balaclava made out of fleece. Either way, it'll work.
Old 05-13-08, 12:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
The actual Ski Mask brand ones (neoprene with the nose and holes over mouth) I think would get pretty hot.

I prefer a loose fitting neck-gaiter or balaclava made out of fleece. Either way, it'll work.
They don't get hot. I've been using one in winter for the past three or four years.

I wear one below 32f. On the rare occasions I feel hot from it, I pull it down around my neck. I use neck gaiters on the days I can't find my mask. Neck gaiters don't keep the wind out, unless you're using windstopper or similar. I've also found that neck gaiters cause my glasses to fog more than the neoprene ski mask.
Old 05-13-08, 12:21 PM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
They don't get hot. I've been using one in winter for the past three or four years.

I wear one below 32f. On the rare occasions I feel hot from it, I pull it down around my neck. I use neck gaiters on the days I can't find my mask. Neck gaiters don't keep the wind out, unless you're using windstopper or similar. I've also found that neck gaiters cause my glasses to fog more than the neoprene ski mask.
Mileage varies. I spend a lot of days on the hill (I'm an instructor), and where I ski (Vermont) 32F is considered a balmy spring day. The facemask comes out if I'm going to be out for a long time (more than the typical commute) or if it gets to the low single digits, upper single digits with a good amount of wind. They're pretty warm and become covered with breath condensation and worse stuff pretty quickly.

Also, a ski mask is intended to be worn with goggles, so unless you're wearing goggles, there's a pretty big gap.
Old 05-13-08, 12:30 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorcycle neoprene
Old 05-13-08, 07:37 PM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by littlewaywelt

I use a fleece neck gaitor down to -10degF pretty comfortably. Neoprene just doesn't breathe. I get super sticky and nasty underneath, whether it's sweat or condensation, and it feels pukey.

Found a nice one at Dick's actually, it's a fleece balaclava, but it has a shaped nose like a Ski Mask, so it doesn't get uncomfortable.

I've seen some that even have mesh where the mouth goes, which would probably be a good idea.

I usually use the gaitor more for my neck and cheecks anyways, because I hate the obstruction over my airways.

Guess I don't really need it with windstopper

Oh yeah, and I don't wear glasses in the winter since I'm travelling in the dark.
Old 05-13-08, 08:07 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I have a Helly Hansen balaclava that I wear for cycling when it's between 10 and 25 degrees. It's made from thin polypropylene and breathes very nicely. It's just thick enough to keep the wind off my face, and keep my cheeks, lips, and nose from feeling like they are freezing. I wear clear lensed sunglasses with big lenses to keep the wind out of my eyes though I'm considering some cycling goggles (I think they're meant for downhill MTB'ing). Below 10 degrees, I get my neoprene mask out.