Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Light in the $150 range?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Light in the $150 range?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 12:05 PM

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Light in the $150 range?

I am looking for a light in the $150 range that has 2-3 hours of constant on time, decent light projection and is relatively rugged. Any common suggestions?
Old 05-13-08, 12:14 PM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cygolite Dual Cross Pro NiMH

4 settings, low setting is good for like 100 hrs. of run time, high setting (SUPER bright) is good for 4 hrs. of run time.

I think it's like $160, so a bit over, but it's well worth it.
Old 05-13-08, 12:56 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
L&M Solo NiMH
13W
2.5 - 3.0 hours runtime
$120

I've been beating the snot out of one of these lights for almost 2 years, year round: Rain, snow, summer sun... No problems at all.
Old 05-13-08, 12:58 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I'm really happy w/ my wife's niterider minewt x2. I am thinking $150 is right about the exact price for most any LED light that will make you happy but not necessarily guide in helicopters to land on you.

I have more gripes about my ~$125 (at the time) halo light, but can't think of anything meaningful to improve on the minewt (or probably any other similar LED). I ride on city streets and completely unlit trail.

The minewt we have by the way is Li Ion which might be closer to $180 than $150 but closer to 5 hrs run time than 3.
Old 05-13-08, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I'm really happy w/ my wife's niterider minewt x2. I am thinking $150 is right about the exact price for most any LED light that will make you happy but not necessarily guide in helicopters to land on you.

I have more gripes about my ~$125 (at the time) halo light, but can't think of anything meaningful to improve on the minewt (or probably any other similar LED). I ride on city streets and completely unlit trail.

The minewt we have by the way is Li Ion which might be closer to $180 than $150 but closer to 5 hrs run time than 3.
Typically Li-Ion has a shorter run time than NiMH, and NiMH is cheaper...just heavier
Old 05-13-08, 01:18 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

I've actually moved on to a Dinotte 200L due to it's smaller size (easier to carry around in my mess bag), but it's also about $60 more.

My Cygolite Dual Cross Pro lasted through an entire Seattle winter, including being left out in the rain for 8 hours at a time on my bicycle for a couple of months, with nary a hiccup. 4 hour runtime on high seemed accurate the couple of times I ran it down. The coverage the Cygolite provides is actually better than the Dinotte. Now the Cygolite has become my girlfriend's good headlight.

Very good light. Well worth the money.

Originally Posted by climbhoser
Cygolite Dual Cross Pro NiMH

4 settings, low setting is good for like 100 hrs. of run time, high setting (SUPER bright) is good for 4 hrs. of run time.

I think it's like $160, so a bit over, but it's well worth it.
Old 05-13-08, 01:22 PM
GATC

Typically Li-Ion has a shorter run time than NiMH, and NiMH is cheaper...just heavier
Really? Maybe w/in a light type (Minewt say) but the minewt's Li battery is vanishingly small against my cygo nimh battery pushing a 15W halo and has 3-5x the life per charge. Maybe it's just the beauty of LED
Old 05-13-08, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two Fenix LD2 flashlights with Two Fish mounts.
Old 05-13-08, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
B&M IQ Fly $100
Dynohub $50

Unlimited runtime, excellent output.
Old 05-13-08, 01:27 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only problem I've found with the Cygolite Dual Cross Pro NiMH is that on any of the less than max output settings, that whatever is doing the dimming of the bulbs emits RF signals that tell my wireless bike computer that I'm going about 50 mph. I've learned to just leave the light on full blast at all times. Actually, the only reason I ever dimmed it near the end of the lighting season when I started out in darkness but finished in daylight. I would set it to 25% to save battery power. No need really, especially since it lasts for days and costs nothing to recharge.
Old 05-13-08, 02:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Really? Maybe w/in a light type (Minewt say) but the minewt's Li battery is vanishingly small against my cygo nimh battery pushing a 15W halo and has 3-5x the life per charge. Maybe it's just the beauty of LED
There are several advantages to Li-Ion, but run time isn't one of them. NiMH batteries are always bigger and heavier, but quicker to charge, longer run time, and they actually behave better in the cold.

I think I'm happy paying less for a slightly bigger battery that last longer and charges faster
Old 05-13-08, 02:17 PM
GATC

I guess it depends what you're running off the battery 'cause I sure dislike my nimh battery relative to the Li one. Maybe if I switched the lightheads I'd like it again and not like the Li one that I have co-opted.
Old 05-13-08, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several advantages to Li-Ion, but run time isn't one of them. NiMH batteries are always bigger and heavier, but quicker to charge, longer run time, and they actually behave better in the cold.
Apples to oranges. Lithium battery is builkier than NiMH at the same weight, but they do store more power per mass unit. So, if Li-Ion was retrofitted on primary NiMH design this might be true, but LiIons would e better if design was with LiIons in mind from the beginning.

Plus Li-Ion has near zero self-discharge, which may be important if night rides are infrequent AND unplanned.

But, yes, NiMH are better in the cold.
Old 05-13-08, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ac220v
Apples to oranges. Lithium battery is builkier than NiMH at the same weight, but they do store more power per mass unit. So, if Li-Ion was retrofitted on primary NiMH design this might be true, but LiIons would e better if design was with LiIons in mind from the beginning.

Plus Li-Ion has near zero self-discharge, which may be important if night rides are infrequent AND unplanned.

Thass right, the zero discharge is a big advantage for many. I ride same hours every day, and use my light on the way in only, for about an hour one way on full or 3/4 full, so I typically charge it on Sunday night and am good for the week. I'm not as worried about the unplanned or discharge.

I think if you're building a light yourself then Li-Ion is the way to go, at least from what I've been told, but for the off the shelf lights if weight isn't a big deal then the NiMH seem to be cheaper and have better performance towards general commuting.
Old 05-13-08, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
Only problem I've found with the Cygolite Dual Cross Pro NiMH is that on any of the less than max output settings, that whatever is doing the dimming of the bulbs emits RF signals that tell my wireless bike computer that I'm going about 50 mph. I've learned to just leave the light on full blast at all times. Actually, the only reason I ever dimmed it near the end of the lighting season when I started out in darkness but finished in daylight. I would set it to 25% to save battery power. No need really, especially since it lasts for days and costs nothing to recharge.
The first light I got was a NiteRider Sol which died after a week in Seattle's rain.

Then I got the Cygolite.

Now I have the Dinotte.

They have have ALL messed with my wireless computer. The Dinotte less than the others, but I still get max speeds in the 60 mph+ range after a night ride.

Luckily part of the display on my wireless computer just died and I'm replacing it with a cheapo wired one.
Old 05-13-08, 05:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ac220v

They are? Than lithiums? Huh? I'm very, very confused.

Old 05-13-08, 06:13 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Typically Li-Ion has a shorter run time than NiMH=
Until you get below 40F
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-13-08, 06:18 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ccd rider
They are? Than lithiums? Huh? I'm very, very confused.

They aren't.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-13-08, 07:13 PM
Mr. cost-benefit analysis

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're at all handy, and really need to maximize your bike lighting dollars... spend your money on a good rechargeable battery and smart charger here https://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2462 Then build yourself a 12 volt, 20 watt halogen headlight out of inexpensive items available at any Home Depot for about $20 more. You'd be surprised at how easy it is. And it's fun if you're a DIY'er.

For about a hundred bucks I get 2.25 hours of 20 watt light - brighter actually, since I'm over-volting it a bit, but halogens tolerate it just fine. That kind of performance would probably have cost me double that, especially with a NiMH battery and smart charger, had I bought a comparable unit from Nite Rider or CygoLite.

So if you're at all interested, there are several tutorials in the electronics section of this here bike forums. And Batteryspace also has all the sockets and connectors you need pretty cheap.

DanO
Old 05-13-08, 07:16 PM
Mr. cost-benefit analysis

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But NiMH is light compared to those Led Acid batteries of old. How quickly we forget.

DanO
Old 05-13-08, 07:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Li-Ion does tolerate extreme temps better, so apologies about that.

What I was thinking was that NiMH self-discharge slows down with cold temps...but, there's still the problem of warming it up to get it to pump the proper juice for light if it's left in the cold.

Li-Ion is probably overall better, all things considered, but it just isn't as affordable. I'll probably upgrade when I have nothing else to upgrade