Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

More Memphis..worst city

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

More Memphis..worst city

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
More Memphis..worst city

Nice Article on the front page of the Commercial Appeal.
Make sure to read the comments.
Old 05-18-08, 10:59 AM
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.... I was in Memphis a couple of weeks ago and My brother who lives there showed me some of his bike routes. I'm surprised he's still alive. Besides living in Old Town by the zoo which happens to be right next to one of the high crime areas, the roads really suc there. He could use info on group rides or other safer places to ride. Any ideas? He has only been in Memphis for about a year.
Old 05-18-08, 12:08 PM
Second Tier Member

Bikes: Felt F75, Old Diamondback MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spoke50
Yes.... I was in Memphis a couple of weeks ago and My brother who lives there showed me some of his bike routes. I'm surprised he's still alive. Besides living in Old Town by the zoo which happens to be right next to one of the high crime areas, the roads really suc there. He could use info on group rides or other safer places to ride. Any ideas? He has only been in Memphis for about a year.
I live in memphis and have just gotten my first road bike recently. Most of the LBS in town seem to have good group rides. There is also the Memphis Hightailers who have several rides a week. It is not as bad as it looks here, but it is pretty bad.
Old 05-18-08, 12:28 PM
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks.... I'll forward the info.
Old 05-18-08, 02:55 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28590 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
I think an absence of bike lanes is the rule rather than the exception in Tennessee. In Knoxville there's no bike lanes to speak of, and a very limited number of short greenway sections.
Old 05-18-08, 03:31 PM

Lots of awesome group rides around Memphis. Have him google Memphis Hightailers. They have group rides as well as links to some of
the other local rides.
Old 06-04-08, 01:09 PM
Ricardo Cabeza

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City, Trek 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in midtown Memphis. I won't ride my "good" bike, because in my neighborhood I am just as likely to get a gun stuck in my face by a crackhead than I am hit by a car. I used to ride outside the city, on the trails with my Trek, but I got tired of having to put my bike in the car and drive for 30 minutes to ride for an hour. Plus, the trails just weren't that good anyway. For the longest time I simply forgot about riding in the city, and only rode when I was out of town. Last month I searched for a local club and found the Hightailers. I haven't joined yet but I did participate in the Greenway ride last Sunday. Looking forward to some of their organized weekely rides.
Old 06-08-08, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by botto
what part?

i got more **** (pickup riding up behind, holding their horn; cans of soda thrown at me) in the 'burbs, where as in midtown all i got were smiles, or
the occasional "how much does your bike cost?"
That's called casing in Memphis
Old 06-08-08, 11:45 AM

what part?

i got more **** (pickup riding up behind, holding their horn; cans of soda thrown at me) in the 'burbs, where as in midtown all i got were smiles, or the occasional "how much does your bike cost?"
I agree....riding downtown was never a problem. I did the Sunday ride with the Hightailers pretty regularly. The ride went from the East Side through Midtown to Mud island. Never had any problems. But riding South of Collierville and Germantown I would always be passed way to close and like Botto said...lot's of projectiles being thrown from dually Pick Up's
Old 06-08-08, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so I ride in south east memphis and have a question Anybody know a way across the south leg of 240 from the airport east that isnt going to get me killed. I want to start to ride to work but the jobs on mendenhal and I have to cross the loop to get there. All I can find is perkins,mendenhal and getwell and they all are just a bit more than I want to deal with
Old 06-10-08, 07:12 PM
NOT a Trek Junkie

Bikes: 2015 Electra Townie, 2007 Orbea Orca(FOR SALE), 2001 Giant Rincon (SOLD), 1999 Softride Powerwing (SOLD)650

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently moved to Olive Branch, MS and drive all the way out to Bartlett to ride with the group at RB's on Tuesday's and Saturdays. On Thursdays, I ride with the group out of the BPAC (Bartlett Performing Arts Center). Saturday, we had 43 riders on a 65 mile route. Nice easy pace, a little over 17 mph, and the group waits on everybody..flat tires, mechanical problems, or slower riders. What a change!

The Thursday ride out of BPAC is basically a "find your speed group" ride. Bunch of people start out together. After about 5 to 10 miles, the group spreads out to varying speed groups.

The Tuesday night ride has been an all out, hammer night. Very well marked for the folks that get dropped...speaking from experience!
Old 06-11-08, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue-Shamu
I recently moved to Olive Branch, MS and drive all the way out to Bartlett to ride with the group at RB's on Tuesday's and Saturdays. On Thursdays, I ride with the group out of the BPAC (Bartlett Performing Arts Center). Saturday, we had 43 riders on a 65 mile route. Nice easy pace, a little over 17 mph, and the group waits on everybody..flat tires, mechanical problems, or slower riders. What a change!

The Thursday ride out of BPAC is basically a "find your speed group" ride. Bunch of people start out together. After about 5 to 10 miles, the group spreads out to varying speed groups.

The Tuesday night ride has been an all out, hammer night. Very well marked for the folks that get dropped...speaking from experience!
try the tuesday GPAC ride if you want a genuine 'all out, hammer night.'
Old 06-13-08, 02:34 PM
Second Tier Member

Bikes: Felt F75, Old Diamondback MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you tried the Tuesday night ride in Collierville at Bike World. Nice group. About 30 miles. Closer to OB.

Anyway. Memphis is now the #2 city for violent crimes according to the FBI, maybe we can do better next year. When did win in property crimes, coming in #1. I wonder what our prize will be?
Old 06-13-08, 08:22 PM
Ricardo Cabeza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what part?

i got more **** (pickup riding up behind, holding their horn; cans of soda thrown at me) in the 'burbs, where as in midtown all i got were smiles, or the occasional "how much does your bike cost?"
Cleveland and Poplar area, behind the Pyramid Academy.

I've been commuting for the last couple of weeks, and the drivers seem pretty nice (as nice as drivers can be I guess). I try to stay out of their way as much as possible, if not out of courtesy then for my own safety. Almost got hit by a damn MATA bus the other day - stupid so and so ran a red light. Anyway, I have to take an indirect route - I work over by the library just off Poplar. No way I'm riding down that deadly street.
Old 06-13-08, 08:28 PM
Ricardo Cabeza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Were you there yesterday? That was an enjoyable ride, although I could not keep up after about 8 miles. I tend to be a jackrabbit, so I felt fine and then all of a sudden I didn't. Fortunately there were a couple of other slowpokes I could ride with

What's the RB ride on Saturday? I was going to head over to the Super Lo tomorrow morning. 65 might be a little much for me yet. I can manage the 17 mph for some distance but probably not the full 65. I really haven't ridden much in the last 4 years so it will take a bit for me to catch up.
Old 06-16-08, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kennymc80
Have you tried the Tuesday night ride in Collierville at Bike World. Nice group. About 30 miles. Closer to OB.

Anyway. Memphis is now the #2 city for violent crimes according to the FBI, maybe we can do better next year. When did win in property crimes, coming in #1.
I wonder what our prize will be?
#1 in clamidia and gonorrhea, and a strong challenger for syphilis at #2.
Old 06-18-08, 06:39 PM
Ricardo Cabeza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride up central, then cut across on fenwick, or through chicksaw gardens.

btw - good library. i spent some time there gong through their collection of old press clippings a few months back.
It is a nice library, isn't it?

I've been going east along Overton Park, south on Cooper to Central, then north on Fenwick.