Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heart rate monitor Vetta V100HR

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 04:38 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm seriously looking for a HR monitor and the Vetta V100HR has caught my interest. Seems to do the basics and more, including the normal bike computer stuff (though it requires an add-on for cadence).

It gives:

Time above zone / avg heart-rate above zone
Tine in zone / avg heart-rate in zone
Time below zone / avg heart-rate below zone
Average heartrate overall

I also looked at a Timex one (a watch) that was $35 less. Didn't do the bike computer stuff (but that's okay). However, it didn't give much detail on heart-rate. I think it gave the average and maybe time in zone. Seems to me that the Vetta info could be more useful.

It would be nice if the Vetta could be worn like a watch, but I don't know of any other problems.

So, any comments?

Bob
Old 12-06-03, 07:21 PM
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Vetta 100HR Wireless for a little over a month and love it! It's accurate (I've compared it to other HRMs and - for distance - with my car's odometer), simple to setup/use, the display is easy to read and it's given me absolutely no problems. It also seems to be put together well and the documentation that comes with it is thorough and well written.

If you only wanted to monitor and record your HR with it, you could mount it anywhere or keep it in your pocket. Otherwise, it takes up very little room on the handlebar...
Old 12-06-03, 07:31 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
> If you only wanted to monitor and record your HR with it, you could mount it anywhere or keep it in your pocket. Otherwise, it takes up very little room on the handlebar... <

LOL! Hadn't thought about putting it in my pocket!

The problem on the handlebar is that I already have a headlight there (I start riding at 3:30 AM!) and my bike computer. Of course, this can replace the bike computer, but it doesn't have cadence unless I buy an add-on. I don't know what that costs but this is a sizable amount of money already!

I read the instructions as best I could at the shop. One thing I read online, but couldn't tell from the instructions, was that the odometer only operated when you had the timer on. This seemed very strange to me. Is that so? I'd hate to accidently fail to record any additions to my total miles!

Bob
Old 12-06-03, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually the odometer only starts recording when you have the timer on. It's the same with my Polar S710i. Well, all these bike computers with heart rate monitor do let you check in on your fitness. Assuming the rides are the same route, wind and environmental conditions are the same, a increase in speed and/or decrease in heartrate would mean increased fitness. The cheaper method would be just using a heart rate monitor and timing a loop that you usually run, a faster time and/or lower heart rate would mean a increase in fitness too.

You can check out the SRM, which I am pretty interested in right now. Otherwise the Vetta would be good, the one I'm using is Polar S710i which is pretty good for me, and the last one I know of would be ciclosport.
Old 12-06-03, 10:51 PM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The V100HR is a pretty sweet little number...I'd have to double check when I get back to the shop Monday, but I believe that is one of the Vettas that was recently discontinued and is becoming scarce. I know certain V100 variations were discontinued but don't want to lead you astray until I have concrete info.
Old 12-06-03, 10:56 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading through the instructions at the shop - 50 pages is a lot to digest quickly! - would I be correct that when the bike just sits for a long time (say at least 5 or 10 minutes) that the timer turns off automatically? Or does it stay on unless specifically turned off? If it stays on, then I wouldn't have to worry about from day to day since I'd just be resetting to zero if I needed to.

Bob
Old 12-06-03, 10:58 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo
The V100HR is a pretty sweet little number...I'd have to double check when I get back to the shop Monday, but I believe that is one of the Vettas that was recently discontinued and is becoming scarce. I know certain V100 variations were discontinued but don't want to lead you astray until I have concrete info.
Interesting. Don't know if that should have an impact on a buying decision or not. I think my bike shop had two of them in stock though. If they only discontinued some of the line, I would think they would retain something as basic as this one. Maybe drop the one with an altimeter or something (though I'd love to have that too to see how steep my hills are).

Bob