Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

The Vanguard Hybrid

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

The Vanguard Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool The Vanguard Hybrid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YmgVcd_aAE

I am new to this board, but I did try to search for "vanguard" before I posted this to make sure this topic wasn't beat to death. I would be suprised if this video hasn't been posted here, maybe the search is fubar?

I live in South FL and am looking to build a bike to get around my area without being totally covered in sweat in the summer. I came upon this "Vanguard Hybrid" that was being built in Santa Monica, CA. The webpage seems to be down ( www.vanguardbicycles.com ) but he has some pictures up on MySpace ( https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=185478904&albumId=286128 ). This bike is a little too "chopper" looking for me (leather satchels, huge front fork, etc), but I enjoy an extended beach cruiser for the comfort factor moreso than the look.

I am new to the entire electric bike movement, but I have a background in engineering and am soaking up all the information like a sponge.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll limit this first post to a few:

-This bike seems to be the from Felt, but I'm not sure the exact model ( https://www.feltracing.com/08/thumb.asp?catid=1519 ). I'm definitely looking for something cheaper... any opinions on a good beach cruiser to add a hub motor to? Anything that doesn't rust would be a huge plus. I'm already scouring craigslist.

-I have read numerous posts comparing front vs rear hub placement, but in an area like South FL that is very flat and using a heavier bike (beach cruiser), would you all still go with a rear hub motor? And using an electric bike in flat area, do you want to have gears or will a single speed suffice? In my head having a motor driven front wheel and pedal powered rear wheel for all wheel drive would be great... but I don't have any real world experience.

-While I am not in love with the BionX kit (as seems like I can do better for my intended use at 1/3 the price DIY), I do like how the battery mounts to the frame instead of sitting on a rear bike rack in a bag. Is there any battery kits out there that mount like this? Should I just resign myself to the fact that the battery will be over the back wheel or in saddlebags on the side (wouldn't they bounce a lot)?

-I am still researching batteries and motors... hopefully I'll make the right choice. Florida law states that an electric bike that doesn't go over 20mph is street legal and subject to the same laws as bicycles. I can limit myself when the cops are around if it goes a little faster... and there are tons of road bikes around here that I have seen going faster than 20mph so I'm not really worried.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Anything you can add or any advice would be great. If you think I'm an idiot for wanting a beach cruiser let me know...

Last edited by vinnysucks; 05-15-08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 05:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I as well live in South Florida and commute almost daily on my Ebike. My bike averages 27mph while i am assisting slightly, and have past police numerous times so the law aspect here i feal is not an issue.

I did extensive research on what motor and battery etc to use. But cost also plaid a role in my decision.
IMHO i would use a front hub motor (either crystalite, golden motor etc.) and LifepO4 battery pack. The range and speed will determine how much you will need to spend.

I wanted a stealth looking bike, i don't want anyone knowing that i am even using an Ebike, but thats just me.
Being that we are in S FL. during the summer months every afternoon storms roll in and if they are bad enough i just put in on the front of the Metro Bus.

p.s. given the current fuel cost, honestly it's the best thing i've done lately

Good luck, jim.............
Old 05-16-08, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim,

I read through all of your posts and I have the same attitude about Miami. Although I grew up here, I plan on moving when I change jobs next to hopefully the West Coast if I can afford it. People are total pricks here and I didn't realize it until I was in my early 20s and did a bit of travelling.

Last weekend, I filled up the tank of my Chevy Silverado 1500 and it cost me $100 on an empty tank. I know... not very economical, but it was '00 when I bought it so give me a break . That huge bill prompted me to do something about my reliance on oil, and although I never see electric bikes down here... I started reading up. I'm still new at this but I'm learning a lot and I would really appreciate your input. I'm looking to build a kit VERY similar to yours (but probably on a cruiser instead of MTB).

Unfortunately I won't be able to use this to commute to my current job (35 miles each way... against traffic thank god), but hopefully I'll be able to use it the rest of the time and save on some gas.

OK, from what I've read you went with (correct me if I'm wrong):

- You used your old MTB for your electric bike?
- You ordered the Goldenmotor front wheel hub kit? 500W, 600W?
- You ordered a LifePO4 battery pack? Which one? What volts? AH? From who, Ping?
- You have the battery, BMS, and charger inside a bag on a rear luggage rack that you attached to your MTB? Do you have a picture? I'm wondering how you can make the bike look stealth with the big pack behind the seat and the hub in the front wheel?

How much aftermarket modfication did you have to do while connecting the hub motor, battery pack, BMS, etc? I don't have a soldering gun or any electrical work tools currently and am wondering what I'm going to need.

How much weight did it add to your bike?

Oh, and did you ever decide on a headlight to use?

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate any and all help you can give me.
Old 05-16-08, 06:59 PM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI, i learned to use a soldering gun by reading how on the internet (used google) and bought my soldering gun at a dollar store (yes, for $1).

Other things I'd consider worthwhile that I bought were: lead free solder ($3 or so) and heat shrink tubing to cover the wires ($3 or so). you might want to buy special nonconducting grease, although I didn't buy any.
Old 05-17-08, 06:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vinnysucks,
I did use a MTB for the bike, but presently i am on the look out for a different bike due to the fact that it uses the twist grip shifters. When combined with the twist throttle for my golden motor they tend to be difficult to use. So instead of shifting i find myself leaving it in the 21st speed at all times, so starting off at lights is using all motor instead of me assisting things.

When i first configured the ebike i used 3 SLA's (reclaimed from computer UPS's). But i found this type not to be practical for me. I did buy lifepO4 pack from ping. It is a 36v 10ah, i ride with an av of 17 miles a day and have never run out of juice yet. If u can afford it definitely go this route.

As far as stealth goes, i first had the controller tie wrapped to the front handle bars (gave it that cyber look). Thats when i used my plastic liner insulated lunch box. It has a zippered front compartment, thats where i put the controller and leave it unzipped while driving. All the wires and connections are housed in the main lunch area with the battery pack. The box is tie wrapped in numerous points on the bottom to the back rack. The only time someone questioned me was when a bus driver asked me if my lunch box was going to fall off if he hits a bump. Presently ebiking is not that popular and the majority of people don't know what to make out of my front hub. I tell people that it helps me stop.

As far as skills u will need:
You will have to be able to plug the battery pack in and also charge it, so u have to use connection plugs male and female. Soldering really is needed to insure good connections, with a poor connection with 20amps going thru it is not good. This could easily ruin all the work u did along with all the equipment u purchased.
The end of the ping battery charger comes with a type of connection that is used for a computer power cord. So i ran with that theme, took a the connector out of a pc power supply, a house light switch, a car fuse. Soldered all wires, duct tape everything. Even making a duct tape handle to carry the battery

I'm guessing the weight i've added is 40lbs for the motor and 6-7lbs for the battery. Which also is a reason i'd like to find a different bike, i weigh around 210 plus the bike of 100lbs, when i am pedaling hard going 30 and use the brakes it doesn't really stop, it just slows down and eventually after thinking about it for awhile it will stop.

I bought a 3w LUXEON flashlight that comes with a mount for my front handle bar. It uses 3 AAA batteries but it's really bright. And a flasher light for my rear end.

I will take some photos this weekend to post, maybe it will give u some ideas

jim.....
Old 05-17-08, 02:48 PM
Son of Fred

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnysucks
-While I am not in love with the BionX kit (as seems like I can do better for my intended use at 1/3 the price DIY), I do like how the battery mounts to the frame instead of sitting on a rear bike rack in a bag. Is there any battery kits out there that mount like this? Should I just resign myself to the fact that the battery will be over the back wheel or in saddlebags on the side (wouldn't they bounce a lot)?
The Crystalyte Cannon kit comes with a battery that mounts inside the frame where a water bottle holder goes. It's sold by Ativ for a pretty reasonable price: https://www.ativsolutions.com/product...ersion-kit.htm
I am running the Cannon kit on my bike, but not with the stock battery (36v). I got a ping 48v battery so I could go faster...what's the point of having an ebike that can only go 20 when I can already pedal 20 on my regular bike With the 48v battery, my top speed is 30-32 mph.

There is tons of info out there for your research on the ebike forums at endless sphere and VisforVoltage.
Old 05-18-08, 10:24 AM

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would check out FalconEV, he is in Florida and his hub motors are lighter I think. Use flux with the solder (you can buy solder with flux in it). I think Falcon has a water bottle LiFePO battery also. The hub motor bikes tend to be quite heavy.
Old 05-18-08, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim124
Vinnysucks,
I did use a MTB for the bike, but presently i am on the look out for a different bike due to the fact that it uses the twist grip shifters. When combined with the twist throttle for my golden motor they tend to be difficult to use. So instead of shifting i find myself leaving it in the 21st speed at all times, so starting off at lights is using all motor instead of me assisting things.

When i first configured the ebike i used 3 SLA's (reclaimed from computer UPS's). But i found this type not to be practical for me. I did buy lifepO4 pack from ping. It is a 36v 10ah, i ride with an av of 17 miles a day and have never run out of juice yet. If u can afford it definitely go this route.

I will take some photos this weekend to post, maybe it will give u some ideas
I wonder if a 3 speed or 7 speed would be good enough to pedal-assist at top speed? I guess it depends on the gear ratios? I suppose all 3/7 speed are not created equal?

The goldenmotor kit is one of the few that cannot run 48v w/out modifications to the controller, but you seem fine with 36v10ah ping batteries as far as range so that doesn't seem to be as big an issue. Do you prefer the twist throttle or would you rather have the thumb throttle that other kits (wilderness, etc) offer?

I would definitely be interested in seeing some pictures, thanks!

Originally Posted by Bander
The Crystalyte Cannon kit comes with a battery that mounts inside the frame where a water bottle holder goes. It's sold by Ativ for a pretty reasonable price: https://www.ativsolutions.com/product...ersion-kit.htm
I am running the Cannon kit on my bike, but not with the stock battery (36v). I got a ping 48v battery so I could go faster...what's the point of having an ebike that can only go 20 when I can already pedal 20 on my regular bike With the 48v battery, my top speed is 30-32 mph.
Thanks for the links to the other forums, I've been reading them.

I actually saw that kit just after I posted. When you switched to a ping battery, you obviously mounted it yourself and do not use the cannon battery mount anymore? Or did you manage to fit it in there? I suppose having the battery on the rear luggage rack isn't too bad if it weighs <10lbs...

Originally Posted by crackerdog
I would check out FalconEV, he is in Florida and his hub motors are lighter I think. Use flux with the solder (you can buy solder with flux in it). I think Falcon has a water bottle LiFePO battery also. The hub motor bikes tend to be quite heavy.
Seems like a very good supplier but the prices are a little out of my range. Thanks for the link though.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Last edited by vinnysucks; 05-18-08 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-19-08, 05:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I originally had the twist throttle setup on the right side but i have a problem with my right wrist (and i know what u are thinking, no i'm left handed ! ) so i set it up on the left side. It took me a little bit to get used to twisting it forward to go. The thumb or twists to my knowledge are both some what inconvenient. Cruise control would be preferred, but I haven’t figured out how to accomplish this yet with the equipment at hand.

Sorry for not getting the photos yesterday, to much refreshments..
jim....
Old 05-19-08, 08:10 PM
Son of Fred

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnysucks
II actually saw that kit just after I posted. When you switched to a ping battery, you obviously mounted it yourself and do not use the cannon battery mount anymore? Or did you manage to fit it in there? I suppose having the battery on the rear luggage rack isn't too bad if it weighs <10lbs...
You could fit it in the frame, but you would have to design a box and some way of mounting it there. My battery is 14 lbs, it is mounted on the rear rack in a tool box i got at Wal-mart for under $6. Motor and battery makes the back end kinda heavy, but it handles just fine.