Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

whaddaya think of this bar?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts

I ran across this at Performance last week, and am considering it for my son's fixie, partly because I've always been intrigued with flat tops ("wings") and because I've got an 120 Ritchey OS stem to reuse (this bar has a 31.8mm clamp area). Does this work as an alternative to a more typically shaped bullhorn? He wants a bullhorn with zero drop. Any pros/cons with this design?

I'm putting this on a short frame (tt=53cm, and he's 5'8"), but I've got a long stem (120mm), so I'm thinking the short (looking) reach of this Profile bar should be about right.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Last edited by sunburst; 05-19-08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 09:21 PM
noobster

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you look around, you should be able to find a better price for it. i know i've seen that one around for around 40$. try eBay too.
Old 05-19-08, 09:29 PM
unofficial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was thinkin about gettin them
then i got rb-021s and was very happy
Old 05-19-08, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheshyre
if you look around, you should be able to find a better price for it. i know i've seen that one around for around 40$. try eBay too.
I saw it at Bike Island for $46 and free shipping. That's where I grabbed the photo. Performance does price matching, then I get 10% back in points (and they really add up!).
Old 05-19-08, 09:50 PM
Tarck bike dot com

Bikes: Fuji tarck '08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10005
Then your son will be the coolest on the block.
Old 05-19-08, 11:41 PM

Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Custom MTB/SS/Commuter, Vintage Miele Fixie under construction

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought one on a whim, I had a shorter stem for my bike, wanted to give it a whirl. i thought that it was a little wide, but i only tried it for one ride. the flat top takes a second to get used to, but it quite comfortable, even with my smaller hands. i fully wrapped the bars to cover the logos, and i am not using brakes. i will put them back on soon, i just got used to flat bars on my ex road bike, and risers on my fixed. so im a little biased towards that style, and dont ride in a very aggressive position usually. i would like to get an even shorter stem to try them with, as riding on the horns has me stretched out a bit too much.

i say go for it, they are not really that expensive, your son might like them!