Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Which mini u-lock?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Which mini u-lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which mini u-lock?

Looking to buy a mini u-lock, but can't decide between the kryptonite evolution mini and the onguard pitbull mini. I'm sick of carrying around my 5 pound chain. I ride a lemond nevada city (entry level bike) in NYC, so I need something pretty damn secure, but I won't be losing thousands if it's stolen. Has any website compared the two? Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-08, 09:29 AM
Inebriated Ninja Hatters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be fine with either or. Stick to Kryptonite if you're sincerely unsure.
Old 05-20-08, 09:31 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I just picked up a krypto mini this past weekend, super tough, came with a cool key with integrated light.
neato

Old 05-20-08, 09:35 AM
stay free.

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bulldog mini that works just fine for me.
cut the rubber off the U and wrap it with a layer or two of electrical tape and you will be able to lock to stuff easier as it gives you some extra space.
Old 05-20-08, 12:32 PM

Bikes: '80-something Puch Marco Polo fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the bulldog mini but ended up with the krypto evo mini because it was just slightly smaller and fit into my back pocket. I don't know if that makes a difference to you. The krypto has been great for me...
Old 05-20-08, 12:35 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i like the size of the mini krypto, didn't mind paying 60 bucks for a decent lock

Old 05-20-08, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. Both seem pretty great. My only concern with the krypto mini is that it only locks on one side, whereas the onguard locks on both sides and costs a bit less.
Old 05-20-08, 12:53 PM
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both locks will offer basically equally protection I'd reckon. My friend has the pitbull and the build quality is strong, it feels pretty hefty. You can get a mini online for about the same price if you look/care enough.
Old 05-20-08, 01:05 PM
asphalt demon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up my Kryptonite today...
Old 05-20-08, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive got the krpto, but only because it was the only mini at the shop. later on i realized it fit perfectly into the side pocket in my reload midpack. given a choice, that would have been a + for the krypto.
Old 05-20-08, 06:49 PM

Bikes: 2007 IRO Mark V fixed, 1971 Schwinn Spitfire stock newsie cruiser, 60's Schwinn Collegiate single speed, 1984 Azuki Imperial fixed, old unknown brand Tandem fixed.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone take the rubber off their Krypto Evo?
Old 05-20-08, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
krypto is smaller
Old 05-20-08, 07:04 PM

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a thread about this from circa 2004 or 2005. Can't recall the poster's name, but he definitely knew his stuff about locks. You should try searching that out, as it had solid data on lock quality.

I have a bunch of different locks, including the Kryptonite Mini Evo. I really like it, have had zero problems in five years.

I do recall though that the Onguard Mini Pitbull (I think that is the better one over the Bulldog) tested a bit higher. Can't remember why...maybe as someone wrote because it locks on both sides?

But, to second what people have written - both are great locks and if used properly should keep your ride in your hands. I use my Evo Mini around my rear triangle and a decent cable lock on my front wheel frame for low theft/daylight campus locking and two u-locks for night locks/high theft spots. On any bicycle that is halfway decent, a stolen wheel can cost as much to replace as half of the original bike cost if you purchased it stock. Just a PSA. And, your stuff can get stolen anywhere, so never assume you are safe. Keep those bikes locked

Found the thread and the poster...
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=lock+rating

Alanbikehouston knows his stuff about locks. Check out that thread.

And...
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=lock+rating

Never taken the rubber off a Mini, but if you get good at locking, the small amount of "reach" that gives you shouldn't be that necessary. I've been locking in a big U.S. city for five years with a Krypto mini...parking meters, hand railings, et cetera and never had a problem with my Mini being too small.

Last edited by nayr497; 05-20-08 at 07:11 PM. Reason: found thread
Old 05-20-08, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
onguard mini bulldog tc because it's about $20-25, while the kryptonite is $40+

I like how it locks on both sides because then I can slide the cylinder part straight over the U, instead of having to bend it into the curved portion of the U like in the krypto. Makes it a little easier to lock imo especially if it's a tight fit.
Old 05-21-08, 02:50 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lock testing sites:
https://www.soldsecure.com/Leisure.htm
https://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp

FWIW,I have both Kryptos and OnGuards,the Kyptos have a smoother action and aren't as finicky to how carefully you turn the key. I had a couple friends who were locked together spend 30min playing with an OnGuard because a couple of the anti-pick discs had turned. Never had it happen to me,but I'm always real careful with the OnGuards.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 05-21-08, 03:06 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Sirrus, KHS Solo SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
I had a couple friends who were locked together spend 30min playing with an OnGuard because a couple of the anti-pick discs had turned. Never had it happen to me,but I'm always real careful with the OnGuards.
Yeah I think I had that happen to me. Key went in, wouldn't turn, wouldn't come back out. Locked my bike and my friend's bike to a railing with one. Man that sucked for about 10 minutes.

I've only had my Krypto Mini for about a month now, but oh man, so much nicer than hauling around a chain.
Old 05-21-08, 09:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there a Fahgettaboudit mini? what are the options for mini u-locks besides the pitbull, bulldog, evolution mini..? or is that it? I use a bulldog and it's great, but I want to get a 2nd lock for extra security.
Old 05-21-08, 10:30 PM
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
krypto mini

Old 05-21-08, 10:32 PM
Garbage Aficionado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a krypto and have had some problems unlocking it on two occasions. The key slides in easily but wont unlock it. I also know another guy that has had the same problem with his. I don't know if others have had this issue but I'll be trying the onguard next.
Old 05-21-08, 11:00 PM
unofficial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive got the ongaurd and its never let me down
Old 05-21-08, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally have seen four OnGuard locks freeze up. I have never had a problem with either Kryptonite or Abus.
Old 05-21-08, 11:58 PM
SWAAAAAAAAAAAT

Bikes: masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the bulldog mini u. well, at least i own it, and it's in m4bandit's car. i need to get it back.

anyway, the yellow bumper things on the bulldog rip off when you look at them. so when those are gone, the rubarized skin that covers the lock cylinder and helps keep metal on paint starts scraping off if you sneeze too close to it. other than the skin and all the exterior stuff, the lock is pretty solid. unlike the cheap bell i was using before, you can't take the key out unless it's locked so it helps make sure you locked it, if you're forgetfull like me (leaving your atm card in the atm machine sucks dick)

i like it. it's cheap(er), fits in my back pocket. and would probably hurt someone if i swung it at them.
Old 05-22-08, 12:08 AM
eviltom

Bikes: 78? motomag 83 hutch 81 trek mtn 99 fisher sugar 4 80s paramount pdg30 mtn 06 fisher cronus 05 bianchi rollo 77 cotton picker repop 71 grey ghost too many to list here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone ever use the Masterlock Street Cuffs? Supposed to be no room for prying tools. Light, and they swivel for ease of use.
Old 05-22-08, 12:30 AM

Bikes: '05 Fuji Silhouette, '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp, '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dumpstergrub@gm
I have a krypto and have had some problems unlocking it on two occasions. The key slides in easily but wont unlock it. I also know another guy that has had the same problem with his. I don't know if others have had this issue but I'll be trying the onguard next.
Used to have this problem with my big krypto; dripped some lube in there and it's been buttery smooth ever since.
Old 05-22-08, 12:40 AM
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eviltom
Anyone ever use the Masterlock Street Cuffs? Supposed to be no room for prying tools. Light, and they swivel for ease of use.
These?

I think a hammer, or just about any large blunt object, would make short work of them. They are overpriced too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.