Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Can food make you feel crappy?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 01:08 PM
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One word: YES. Had a "working" lunch at a bar, and kid you not, had to be the most unhealthy menu I've ever seen. I decided oh what the hell, I'm hungry, and had a swiss mushroom burger.

Now, an hour later, I feel like complete crap No energy, brain can best be described as "depressed", and just overall not good. No motivation to do anything, etc etc. This is basically the first time I've eaten something like this in.. a long time. I had a burger the other night, but it was home-made with 93% lean - I can assure you the "sports bar & grill" didn't use 93% lean...

Anyway.. anyone else had this happen? This sucks, I wish I could bail out of work right now and get on the LHT...
Old 05-23-08, 01:20 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, HELL yes, big gureesssy cheez burger.....or pizza, makes me not only feel like crap, but then, well as the kids would say TMI dad TMI

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 05-23-08, 01:33 PM
Drop Master

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix / Scott CR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I went to Burger king and got a whopper with cheese and fries. For the rest of the day I felt like crap. No energy, half sleep and just did not feel like doing anything but sitting down. I went out to do a 25 miler later the evening, got 2-3 miles into the route, turned around and went back home.

I ate a good dinner and around 9 pm I felt better. The next morning I had a good breakfast (at home) and for lunch I had left overs from dinner . I went out for a ride that evening and had plenty of mental drive, energy and power to do my training ride as I normally do. I have a garmin 305 which has the virtual partner feature which is actually a clone of my best time and not only did I keep up with him, I actually passed him on the flats.

So yes food does make a big diffrence in your performace. Crap for fuel=Crap performance period...

Last edited by slyjackson; 05-23-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 01:42 PM
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a previous life the wife and I were over-the-road truckers. You might have called us "Long Haul Truckers". And I'm sure there were times when we were in a poor mood that we might have come across as "Surly"! Ha Ha Ha
Get it? Surly Long Haul Truckers!

Anyway...

We would stop and feast on Truck Stop food and promptly need to get on the road. About half an our after leaving I would start to feel horrible. I attributed it to the stomach/digestive tract taking a larger than average supply of blood at the brain's expense. It was tough making miles when you are blood deficient in the brain.

Now, since we eat much more healthy, a heavy/fatty meal really kicks us good.
Old 05-23-08, 02:32 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=DTSCDS;6748953]In a previous life the wife and I were over-the-road truckers. You might have called us "Long Haul Truckers". And I'm sure there were times when we were in a poor mood that we might have come across as "Surly"! Ha Ha Ha

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 05-23-08, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
In a previous life the wife and I were over-the-road truckers. You might have called us "Long Haul Truckers". And I'm sure there were times when we were in a poor mood that we might have come across as "Surly"! Ha Ha Ha

Anyway...

We would stop and feast on Truck Stop food and promptly need to get on the road. About half an our after leaving I would start to feel horrible. I attributed it to the stomach/digestive tract taking a larger than average supply of blood at the brain's expense. It was tough making miles when you are blood deficient in the brain.

Now, since we eat much more healthy, a heavy/fatty meal really kicks us good.

I take it you didnt stop to be a long haul trucker to start being a stand up comedian?
Old 05-23-08, 03:13 PM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure. Fatty greasy food tastes good, but immediately weighs you down. Sugary foods keeps you peppy for awhile, but you soon crash below the level you started at.

Another consideration is constipation. Not only is that food making you feel crappy now, but it tends to sit in your colon for a day or so ruining the next day
Old 05-23-08, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazama
Sure. Fatty greasy food tastes good, but immediately weighs you down. Sugary foods keeps you peppy for awhile, but you soon crash below the level you started at.
Fatty greasy I can handle. Sugary I can not. I crash really bad after a couple of doughnuts.
Old 05-23-08, 10:03 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bdinger
One word: YES. Had a "working" lunch at a bar, and kid you not, had to be the most unhealthy menu I've ever seen. I decided oh what the hell, I'm hungry, and had a swiss mushroom burger.

Now, an hour later, I feel like complete crap No energy, brain can best be described as "depressed", and just overall not good. No motivation to do anything, etc etc. This is basically the first time I've eaten something like this in.. a long time. I had a burger the other night, but it was home-made with 93% lean - I can assure you the "sports bar & grill" didn't use 93% lean...

Anyway.. anyone else had this happen? This sucks, I wish I could bail out of work right now and get on the LHT...
I had the same thing happen today. Except I decided to add to it by consuming dairy - I'm mildly lactose intolerant, and I can get away with it some days, but not today. After a few hours and a healthy meal - tuna fillet with green beans - I began to feel better. Lesson learned.

Old 05-23-08, 10:22 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
I had the same thing happen today. Except I decided to add to it by consuming dairy - I'm mildly lactose intolerant, and I can get away with it some days, but not today. After a few hours and a healthy meal - tuna fillet with green beans - I began to feel better. Lesson learned.
Thankfully the similar happened with me. A nice long ride home, even with the wind, felt good. Not great, not awesome, just good. Some time with my baby, wife, and kids. Getting better. Dinner of "tuna rice cheese" (trust me, it's great), even better. 90 minutes of DVR'd last comic standing with the wife after the kids were in bed, and I'm cured.

I'm with you, though. That's the last time I ever do that, just ain't worth it. I can't believe that it affected my mood so much. My wife said the same, she's been working on her post-pregnancy weight loss and caved today and had some golden arches with the kiddos. Apparently by 4pm she was pretty much in the same boat as I.

Absolutely amazing what this stuff does to you. I wonder if it's the mass-produced hormone-infused beef, the fat, or some combination of?
Old 05-23-08, 10:31 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bdinger
Thankfully the similar happened with me. A nice long ride home, even with the wind, felt good. Not great, not awesome, just good. Some time with my baby, wife, and kids. Getting better. Dinner of "tuna rice cheese" (trust me, it's great), even better. 90 minutes of DVR'd last comic standing with the wife after the kids were in bed, and I'm cured.

I'm with you, though. That's the last time I ever do that, just ain't worth it. I can't believe that it affected my mood so much. My wife said the same, she's been working on her post-pregnancy weight loss and caved today and had some golden arches with the kiddos. Apparently by 4pm she was pretty much in the same boat as I.

Absolutely amazing what this stuff does to you. I wonder if it's the mass-produced hormone-infused beef, the fat, or some combination of?
I think the fat is the culprit. (I don't buy into the food paranoia these days, so I won't comment on the pedigree of the beef.) Fat takes longer to digest, diverting blood to the stomach.

I'm going to need to watch what I eat on tour next week. All that fried food at the trail diners. And ice cream and milkshakes - too much of that and we'll have to rename the trail the Great Alimentary Passage!

Old 05-23-08, 10:42 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
I think the fat is the culprit. (I don't buy into the food paranoia these days, so I won't comment on the pedigree of the beef.) Fat takes longer to digest, diverting blood to the stomach.

I'm going to need to watch what I eat on tour next week. All that fried food at the trail diners. And ice cream and milkshakes - too much of that and we'll have to rename the trail the Great Alimentary Passage!
I go back and forth on the food paranoia, but I agree on the fat likely being the culprit. The beef I had the other night at home was nothing special aside from being 93% lean, and didn't cause me any ill effects. In fact, the night before that I stopped at a local market sitting on the MUP and picked up some ground beef for meatballs - it likely wasn't anythign special, either.

I'd imagine that the culprit here was the fatty beef + swiss cheese + french fries. Wow did it ever throw me off! And I'm sure the two or three 32oz diet pepsis I guzzled probably didn't help matters...
Old 05-26-08, 08:25 AM
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by st0ut
I take it you didnt stop to be a long haul trucker to start being a stand up comedian?
Actually, I quit long-haul-truckin' to go back to school and become a pastor.
Some folks would say that's just about the same thing!
Old 05-26-08, 09:15 AM
Emeritus...a second time?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tabor
Fatty greasy I can handle. Sugary I can not. I crash really bad after a couple of doughnuts.
Ditto. I can tough it out after a greasy meal, sure. But I have blood sugar problems and the sugar destroys me. I'll feel fine immediately after consumption, but about half an hour or so later I will crash. The more sugar I eat, the harder I crash.
Old 05-26-08, 09:23 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have a friend who has type N Hepatitis. This is caused by a fatty liver. If he eats a meal like you described he has bad stomach problems and energy problems.