Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Go fork myself?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Go fork myself?

Old 05-26-08, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go fork myself?

So I have a Gary Fisher Gitche Gurnee. It's pretty much a once or twice a week commute bike (10 miles or so one way, 20 round trip), ride around town, maybe every once in a blue moon, take her out on some of the crappy off-road options Virginia Beach and the surrounding area offers (think flat, but curvy trails).

Thing is, my bike is completely rigid. Now, I don't do anything extreme with my bike by any means. We have no hills to downhill on, I can't bunny hop, and the most "mountain-bike" thing I do with my bike is jumping occasional curbs or doing the 20 yards of single track-ish trail I have to play with to get to work.

While that's the case, I think that getting some forks in the front could soften up the jolt of joints in sidewalk, curbs, potholes, etc.

Am I being ******** and looking to waste efficiency and money at the price of a mild gain in comfort?

Lemme know your thoughts.
Old 05-26-08, 08:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VABikerGuy
So I have a Gary Fisher Gitche Gurnee. It's pretty much a once or twice a week commute bike (10 miles or so one way, 20 round trip), ride around town, maybe every once in a blue moon, take her out on some of the crappy off-road options Virginia Beach and the surrounding area offers (think flat, but curvy trails).

Thing is, my bike is completely rigid. Now, I don't do anything extreme with my bike by any means. We have no hills to downhill on, I can't bunny hop, and the most "mountain-bike" thing I do with my bike is jumping occasional curbs or doing the 20 yards of single track-ish trail I have to play with to get to work.

While that's the case, I think that getting some forks in the front could soften up the jolt of joints in sidewalk, curbs, potholes, etc.

Am I being ******** and looking to waste efficiency and money at the price of a mild gain in comfort?

Lemme know your thoughts.
You don't need a fork. Dropping a couple of psi's in pressure would effectively achieve the desired effect.
Old 05-29-08, 06:47 AM
Shot Caller

Bikes: '01 Fisher Joshua F3. '89 Master... I don't let go of bikes easily.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what you're doing, just grab the cheapest fork that's compatible. Keep in mind though, since your commuting with it, you gonna get some compression/bounce out of the fork when you don't want it, like when huffing up a hill. Unless you buy a fork with a lockout, which would probably stay locked out in your case. I certainly wouldn't put a suspension fork on a commuter myself, I would put a fatter tire and/or reduce air pressure a bit. That will help with traction in the sand I would guess that VA Beach has.