Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Cheap Clipless setup to sample?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just wondering what the best cheap set (under $100) of clipless pedals/shoes are so I can see if I like it. I would prefer a pedal that still has a platform on one side so I don't have to have the shoes on to ride.

Edit: oh yea I forgot to mention that I mountain bike if that makes a difference.

Last edited by zeroncali; 05-27-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 02:03 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Actually, you might look at some Campus pedals then, like theses fro Well-Go

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1149090206858

Otherwise, look at Crank Brothers Eggbeater C's. The are a minimalist pedal but are purpose designed for mountain biking, are easy to unclip from and don't clog up in the dirt. They are also rebuildable.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20253

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-27-08, 02:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look pretty good, but what about shoes? If I remember correctly Shimano makes some lower end clipless shoes that are good for learning.
Old 05-27-08, 02:10 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Specialized make some very nice mtn shoes for under $100. Their comp mountain shoe is typically around $75 or so. Nice roomy toe box and nice insole inserts.
Old 05-27-08, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SixSixOne makes an inexpensive SPD shoe. I think I paid $45 for mine.
Old 05-27-08, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently bought the Shimano MT31 shoes for commuting. They're a decent shoe, compatible with any 2-bolt cleat. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to get shoes and pedals for less than $100... unless you find some good sales. I spent $40-45 on Crank Brothers low-end Egg Beater C pedals and another $70 for the shoes. Crank Brothers also makes pedals that use the same clip mechanism as the Egg Beater but integrated into a platform pedal.
Old 05-27-08, 02:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't mean combined I kind of meant individually (Ex) the shoes are under $100 and the Pedals are under $100)
Old 05-27-08, 02:34 PM
fc_
phredite

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma Groove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got a shoe/pedal combo from pricepoint, Crankbrothers Acid Pedals (larger platform than the smarty/candys), and Sette Element MTB Shoes. The shoes run a bit wide (which is good for my feet, but maybe not for yours). I haven't tried riding on them with regular shoes, but I think they'd work out ok for that.

$99 + shipping (they went up $10 since I got mine)
Old 05-27-08, 03:44 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fc_
I recently got a shoe/pedal combo from pricepoint, Crankbrothers Acid Pedals (larger platform than the smarty/candys), and Sette Element MTB Shoes.
I can't speak for the pedals but I have those shoes and they've been fine for me. They are comfortable and I've had no foot pain, you can't beat the price. I use the Shimano 520 pedals (on my road bike) and I've enjoyed them.
Old 05-27-08, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just (in the past 2 weeks) got a pair of Nashbar clipless ATB pedals ($27.99 right now) and a pair of Performance Forte Traverse 4 shoes ($49.99 right now). I got the shoes at a local Performance store - they were $69.99 in-store, but will match the Web price if you ask. So far, so good.
Old 05-27-08, 06:08 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Crank Brothers Candy pedals and Shimano Mt-21 shoes. I think the MT-20 shoes were $10 cheaper. I got setup for just over $100. If you went with the MT-20, you'd be under $100.
Old 05-27-08, 06:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have a pair of these: https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/164...-w_-Buckle.htm
and I like them a lot.

I love my Crank Brother's pedals. I have some Candy Stainless on my mountain bike. They have held up well being ridden all year long sometimes in some harsh weather conditions. I have some eggbeaters that are stainless steel on my rode bike. I give a word of warning it took a lot for my feet to get used to them. I have large feet and they are a very small platform. It may have been that the shoes I had originally were not stiff enough but I can not say for sure. Check ebay for some deals on Crank Borther's stainless steel pedals.
Old 05-27-08, 06:34 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by fc_
I recently got a shoe/pedal combo from pricepoint, Crankbrothers Acid Pedals (larger platform than the smarty/candys), and Sette Element MTB Shoes. The shoes run a bit wide (which is good for my feet, but maybe not for yours). I haven't tried riding on them with regular shoes, but I think they'd work out ok for that.

$99 + shipping (they went up $10 since I got mine)

How did they fit, I had some of their carbon road shoes and they were great, but never the MTB shoes. I have wide feet and the road shoes were perfect. I wish they had carbon mtb shoes

Old 05-27-08, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I had a set of the Shimano PD-M520's for 2 years and they have been great and cost me about $30 off ebay new

Old 05-27-08, 06:49 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paco97
I got the Crank Brothers Candy pedals and Shimano Mt-21 shoes. I think the MT-20 shoes were $10 cheaper. I got setup for just over $100. If you went with the MT-20, you'd be under $100.
How do you like the MT-21s? I've been thinking of buying a pair, but wanted to be sure they were decent first..
Old 05-27-08, 08:03 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Otherwise, look at Crank Brothers Eggbeater C's. The are a minimalist pedal but are purpose designed for mountain biking, are easy to unclip from and don't clog up in the dirt. They are also rebuildable.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20253
Performance's egg beaters are tough to beat.

Once you start riding with clipless pedals, you're not going to want to ride platforms. Just plan to pack a pair of shoes or sandals or buy a casual bike shoe with a recessed cleat that allows you to walk.
Old 05-27-08, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta love how a simple question can escalate into full on conversations lol. Anyways, thanks for the responses it certainly opened up some options for me.
Old 05-28-08, 05:44 AM
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i haven't had much luck with cheap pedals or shoes except for my nashbar dual use spd pedals (platform on one side, clipless on the other). i got them for $20 and they still work fine after 1500+ miles. i got about 2000+ miles out of some ritchey comp v4 pedals (about $35).

as far as shoes, my best advice is just buy the ones that are comfortable and ignore price. that was hard for me to do seeing as i'm a cheap *******. however, after wearing some super uncomfortable diadora shoes i got for $15, i was willing to pay whatever i had to for comfortable shoes. i have some specialized spd-only mtb shoes that are comfortable. i think i paid $80 for them. for me, the toughest part of finding a comfortable shoe is finding one that feels good on the top of my foot when i pull up to pedal.

that being said, i don't have enough experience to recommend a brand or style of shoe. i can share a recent experience;

i was in the market for shoes that were both spd and look compatible. i started with the cheapest performancebike had and worked my way up. i tested name brands as well as house brands (forte). the only comfortable model they had was forte tri shoes. cat-1's, pearl-izumi, sidi, shimano, etc. none of them were as comfortable.

also, when you're trying shoes on....walk around in them a while. some felt comfortable at first, but started to hurt after a few minutes.
Old 05-28-08, 07:35 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
How did they fit, I had some of their carbon road shoes and they were great, but never the MTB shoes. I have wide feet and the road shoes were perfect. I wish they had carbon mtb shoes
They fit me great, a little bit on the big side. If I bought them again I'd get one (European) size smaller. Supposedly these fit pretty well for wider feet, from what I've heard (my feet are size 11-12 but not too wide).
Old 05-29-08, 04:48 AM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
How do you like the MT-21s? I've been thinking of buying a pair, but wanted to be sure they were decent first..
I like them a lot, they are my first pair. They do come a size smaller, so plan on going up one size. I didn't heed this advice and went by their chart. My shoes fit perfect, but a little small in the toe area. It only matters if I stand in the pedal my foot will sometimes slide to the front and touch, but I don't really stand too often, so no biggie for me. If I recall correctly, the MT21's have a little more leather to them than the MT20's.
Old 05-29-08, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cooleric1234
They fit me great, a little bit on the big side. If I bought them again I'd get one (European) size smaller. Supposedly these fit pretty well for wider feet, from what I've heard (my feet are size 11-12 but not too wide).
Thanks, what I needed to know. Don't have any foot issues? No dead or hot spots?

Old 05-29-08, 09:23 AM
fc_
phredite

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma Groove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
They fit me great! Most comfortable cycling shoes I've ever used.
Old 05-29-08, 12:35 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I use LOOK PP396 pedals which now you can snag up for around 65$ from European online stores.
I paid over 200$ for them 10 years ago and they still work great so I had to buy a 2nd pair for the other road bike just a few month ago. Made of aluminum and bomb proof.

Thomas
Old 05-29-08, 06:17 PM

Hey for anyone looking for pedals. Performance is having a great deal on Crank Brother's Pedals.

Eggbeater C for $49.99 $50 off Product number 50-3068J
Candy C SE for $54.99 or $45.00 off Product number 50-6861G

You can save an additional 10% by using Coupon Code 0043000000001013