Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trick to mounting fork sensor solidly?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-27-08, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 2006 Novara Randonee, 2009 Fuji Cross Pro, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 2013 Allez Smartweld A5 Frankenbike, 2021 Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I have installed this thing a few times on 2 different forks (which may be the problem). Lately it's shifting around even after I think i've installed it properly. It is the sending unit from a Cateye cordless 7 - and there's a little rubber pad which used to be sticky on both sides that is supposed to sit between the sender bracket and fork. Since it was out of position, on Monday I used some of my daughter's scrapbooking tape on it, and it seemed ok. Today's Tuesday, and it sat in a hot car then was ridden tonight, and it's loose again.

I did use pliers to tighten the zipties - so I'm at a loss for what to try next. Anyone use any good stickum that won't ruin anything but will help in stabilizing this thing?
'13 Specialized Roubaix Pro
'13 Specialized Allez Smartweld Frankenbike
'21 Diverge Comp Carbon
Old 05-27-08, 08:01 PM

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just use the rubber pad, but clean it and the surface it will be in contact with with rubbing alcohol.
Old 05-27-08, 09:15 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Also, pull the zip-ties as tight as you can with pliers before you cut off the excess length.
Old 05-27-08, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Trying a larger size zip tie solved my mounting problems. bk
Old 05-27-08, 10:55 PM
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Next time it happens, buy some 3M Molding tape. It's the type that has an orange backing and gray color, much stronger than standard mounting tape.
Old 05-28-08, 09:08 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Might try a section of old inner tube, cut to fit, used as a "sleeve" over the fork tube.
Old 05-28-08, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
The 3 m mounting tape works well. I use the kind that autoparts stores sell that is used to mount molding, etc. on cars. It's just a super double sided tape.

Right now my sensor is just taped on with clear packing tape wrapped completely around the fork. Invisible, and lasts almost forever. I tend to change it every year, but just "because". The sensor will not slide out of place if taped. I think any tape would work without interfering with the pick up signal - color depending on your aesthetic inclination! (that's why I use clear).

By the way, I use the same tape run lengthwise, to secure the wire along the inside or edge of the fork. I've been doing that for years with no problems. It does not wear out or come undone (assuming a clean surface to begin with.). I change it every year or so, when I think of it. A virtually invisible installation for those who like the look of wireless, but the reliability of wired.

The sensors I have that are zip-tied have to be readjusted sometimes because they move. I'm about ready to give up on zip ties and switch all of them to taped.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-28-08 at 11:46 AM.