Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of my first tour, C&O canal over Memorial Day weekend

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 08:43 PM

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I rode the C&O Canal from DC to Harpers Ferry West By God Virginia, camped along the Potomac river at a beautiful spot, then rode back to DC. It is 60 miles off-road each way, the scenery was ****ing beautiful. After 120 miles of singletrack it was just as beautiful as the start. I rode on a brand new bike (Surly Cross Check) that I had about 7 miles on prior to that as I had built the bike the night before. No mechanical break downs, no wrecks, no flats. It was great.

Lessons learned:
Better to over pack than under (We over packed)
REALLY good riding shorts are a must
Eat a lot
Drink a lot of water

Here are pictures from the tour:

The Bikes (Surly Cross Check which is mine and Lemond Poprad which is my friends)

Turtles

18 or so miles into the trail

Crane

The vast majority of the trail looked like this

Catoctin Aqeduct

Tunnel, where my friend almost got hit by a train while walking through

Looking back on the trail from Harpers Ferry West VA

Looking towards Harpers Ferry
Old 05-27-08, 08:43 PM

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Windsor I found locked up in town, period campy components, gold anodized brake levers etc, also had an Eddy Merckx sticker on it

Finally our campsite
Old 05-27-08, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You got some beautiful scenery down there! Nice pictures!
Old 05-27-08, 09:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am jealous

care to comment on the never-ending debate of proper tire size for the C&O?
Old 05-27-08, 10:12 PM

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I'm planning my first overnight trip for this upcoming weekend, but it won't look anything like that. Great pictures!
Old 05-27-08, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice!!!!
Old 05-28-08, 05:55 AM
jon bon stovie

Bikes: bridgestone 400 fixed gear conversion, dawes touring bike (model unknown)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait, wait....almost hit by a train! intense!
Old 05-28-08, 06:00 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
neilfein and I head out on our GAP/C & O tour in 48 hours. We hope we had as good a time as you did, minus the train near-miss.....

Old 05-28-08, 06:48 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by morbot
i am jealous

care to comment on the never-ending debate of proper tire size for the C&O?
After mile 20 the trail becomes rougher, but more accepting of skinnier tires. Between mile 20 and DC there are larger pieces of gravel near the lock houses so they can be a bit annoying. We both rode the trail on 700x30s and they were more than acceptable. I wouldn't go skinnier than 28s just due to the volume of air when loaded, anything over 35s seemed like it would just increase drag. The vast majority of people were on mountain bikes which was total overkill.
Old 05-28-08, 06:50 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
neilfein and I head out on our GAP/C & O tour in 48 hours. We hope we had as good a time as you did, minus the train near-miss.....
You are in for quite the ride. Be sure to go into Harper's Ferry, it's beautiful and has a general store near the train station that has tubes/gloves/general bike stuff. There is also a pub/rsturant 2 doors up the hill that has good burgers.

White's Ferry has great chicken fingers and sloppy joes.
Old 05-28-08, 06:52 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Oh and either camp on the GAP side of Harper's Ferry or plan on riding another 15 miles as you will be sleeping 50 feet from the train track otherwise.
Old 05-28-08, 07:07 AM
Senior Membre

Bikes: '87 Cannondale Team Comp, 98 Cannondale F900, 08 Bike Friday Tikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, the lesson that I learned from my first tour...um 15 years ago, was not to bring too much. I sent excess stuff back to my home by mail. Most of it was a few redundant changes of clothes and a book or two, but I have since kept what I haul to a bare minimum.

How about that train? How did you avoid that one? And why didn't you hear it coming?

Finally how is using a cyclocross bike compared to a touring bike. Twitchy with the bags or not?
Old 05-28-08, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on going into Harper's Ferry. There is some nice historical sites surrounding John Brown's Raid as well as an interesting African American Museum from the same era. Several places have really great ice cream as a reward for your long ride.
Old 05-28-08, 11:48 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Very nice. I used to live at the top of the hill in HF, by the cemetary above the Shenandoah. Some trivia for wading the Shenandoah, check out the non-native species fishing regs, right before bighead carp.
Old 05-28-08, 12:59 PM
la rapet

Bikes: 80s specialized expedition, soma rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow sounds beautiful. i definitely want to do this ride. so you were just running 700 X 30cm road tires?
Old 05-28-08, 02:15 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doraemonkey
Hey, the lesson that I learned from my first tour...um 15 years ago, was not to bring too much. I sent excess stuff back to my home by mail. Most of it was a few redundant changes of clothes and a book or two, but I have since kept what I haul to a bare minimum.

How about that train? How did you avoid that one? And why didn't you hear it coming?

Finally how is using a cyclocross bike compared to a touring bike. Twitchy with the bags or not?
The train sounded quite shortly before it got to the tunnel, really he was in no danger of being hit though the train came pretty close.

The bike was only twitchy when i was standing, but less twitchy than the track bike I ride on a daily basis.

I rode Jones CX tires that were 700x30. I ran about 85psi in the rear as the sides have started to crack due to age. The tires did fine on the trail.
Old 05-28-08, 09:01 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chris from Velo Orange suggests the Vittoria Cross Evo XN tires for the C&O and general mixed hardpack use, they're a 32 with not much tread, made for firmer cross courses.