Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chipped CF frame

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chipped CF frame

Old 05-29-08, 07:27 AM
crusty

Bikes: Giant Kronos, Miele Appolo, Miele 12 spd, Diamondback Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chipped CF frame

My 16 yr old nephew is a STRONG rider. 130 pounds of muscle and endurance, training for tri events (and winning many) in Ontario.
He is a bit hard on equipment though and has chipped the top tube on his LOOK CF bike down to but not into the fibre. about half the size of your little finger nail.
Can you apply epoxy or fibreglass resin on the wound or is smoothing the roughness off with FINE wet/dry paper good enough?
Old 05-29-08, 09:10 AM
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't sand it and risk fraying the carbon. I would just use clear nail polish on it just to protect the one spot from scratching.
Old 05-29-08, 09:17 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd photograph it and contact the manufacturer. But it sounds like your describing a paint chip, in which case I'd just do a paint touch up.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 05-29-08, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greyghost_6
I wouldn't sand it and risk fraying the carbon. I would just use clear nail polish on it just to protect the one spot from scratching.
+1 on the clear nail polish if it's just a chip in the clearcoat.
Old 05-29-08, 10:44 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd take it into your LBS and have them take a look at it just to be sure- it would be horrible if it wasn't just paint and you found that out the hard way.
Old 05-29-08, 12:06 PM

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. Just go ask someone. If it's just missing clearcoat, nail polish is the way to go, obviously. But you don't want to cut a promising biking career short due to a busted face.
Old 05-29-08, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nail polish the chip, but keep a close eye on it. I crashed in a crit last year and thought I just had a chip in the clearcoat. Two weeks later of hard riding and I had 2 one inch cracks on the top tube! Carbon is tough, but when it goes it goes bad.
Old 06-01-08, 12:14 PM
crusty

Bikes: Giant Kronos, Miele Appolo, Miele 12 spd, Diamondback Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the replies!
Old 06-01-08, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
They have System 3 Epoxy at all boat stores. It comes in a small packet and it's a 2 part mix. Mix it up and leave it sit, but not long. After it gets a little thick apply what you need. Then put some Glad Wrap over it leave it dry. That should give you a pretty smooth finish, once you take it off. You can use a Dremel tool to smooth it some, but if you don't over due it, it should look OK. Now put the finger nail polish over that, good luck.