Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

That's how it's done! Giro Stage 18

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 11:37 AM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Breaking away 10km into a 150km stage and attacking the break at 35km to go...results in:

Originally Posted by velonews
Old 05-29-08, 11:41 AM
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
His first Giro stage win. Totally deserved it, too.
Old 05-29-08, 11:43 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
Totally deserved it, too.
+ a gazillion.

That was most impressive.
Old 05-29-08, 12:18 PM
abandoning

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
did you guys see bettini spank bennati in the sprint for 5th? i thought there might be a fight or something.
Old 05-29-08, 12:26 PM

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a fun stage to watch
Old 05-29-08, 12:32 PM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
Breaking away 10km into a 150km stage and attacking the break at 35km to go...results in:
So was it more triumphant than the day the strong men cried?
Old 05-29-08, 01:16 PM
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
that wasn't a spank, it was a pat, as in "ok, i tried to beat you in the sprint, but i can now see it's a pointless endeavor, so perhaps i should just sit up and make a sportsmanlike gesture, like a pat on the back."
dang. i was watching on the low bandwidth, so i couldn't see it that well. still fun to watch voigt, though. jens voigt: big heart, small torso.
Old 05-29-08, 01:57 PM
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if this was anyone other that jens would there be a thread about it?
Old 05-29-08, 02:02 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Great ride by the Berliner! Impressive execution.
Old 05-29-08, 02:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Former inline speedskating world champ just had an article posted that relates to Jens effort today.....

Strategies for Success

Tony Muse (white jersey) heading for the line at the 2007 NorthShore Inline Marathon.
Photo: Darlene Prois

By Tony Muse
May 23, 2008
When I was 16, I headed off to my first World Championships on a team that included my brother Dante, the world champion Donnie Van Patter, and my then-skating hero Bobby Kaiser.
For some reason, Bobby took me under his wing. He taught me all he knew about international competition and, in his last race, let me win my first gold medal.
Two things that Bobby told me continue to resonate with me to this day:
1) Be the Bus
Bobby used to tell a story about a boy who was on a mission. The boy's elders told him he needed to catch a certain bus to get where he was going. The boy spent many hours trying to figure out how to catch the bus: where and when it stopped and where to get off. But no matter how hard he tried, he was unable to reach his destination.
Then one day, he forgot about the bus. Instead, he woke up early and set out on foot. Somehow he arrived at his destination with plenty of time to spare.
Bobby said, "If you want to make an impact, you have to be the bus."
Back then, Tom Peterson (future founder of Hyper Wheels) was the only consistent performer on the U.S. World Team. Years of skating indoors had polished his turns and sprint, so he performed well on the track, although he was less successful on the road ...
And that's where the Italians dominated; they controlled the pace and then lined up like a train to out-teamwork, out-muscle and out-sprint everyone else.
Everyone tried to imitate them, but few were able to beat the "Blue Train."
But then Bobby decided to be the bus that beats the train.
From then on, he was no longer content to sit back in the pack and wait for the race to unfold. Instead, he was the race.
He never sat in the pack without a reason, and when he went to the front, it was because he was going somewhere. He never led just to lead or to take his turn at the front. Instead, he spent every second of the race as if what he was doing was how the race was meant to be.
With this simple change of attitude, Bobby not only became the man to beat, he controlled who would win, place or show. No longer did races end in field sprints; instead, they finished in breakaways with wobbly legs and cramped muscles.
Bobby became legendary worldwide as the man who took the race to the Italians and beat them consistently. He changed the nature of our sport, turning distance races into endurance events, and paved the way for the U.S. domination of Worlds.
2) Go Out on a Limb
At 16, I didn't think I belonged on the same track with my hero ... or at the World Championships, for that matter. So Bobby Kaiser had a lot of baby sitting to do.
To be honest, though, I was born with a silver skating spoon in my mouth. My parents owned skating rinks, one of which was connected to our house. So naturally, I skated a bunch.
And I was the youngest in a family of skaters. One of my brothers was just ending his competitive skating career and focusing on coaching; another (Dante) was developing into a champion ... and I hated to lose to him.
My background made me fast but didn't prepare me for the mental challenges of international competition.

One day, Bobby asked me if I liked fruit and if I knew where it came from. I lied and said, "yes," at which point he launched into another of his proverbs:
Fruit is delicious and is good for you, he said. But there is only one way to get to it — you have to go out on a limb.
Sometimes, the limb will break, he said. But the only way to get the fruit is to go out on a limb.
He knew what he was talking about. If he hadn't tried something new, he would've never beat the Italians. He took a big risk, and that allowed him to rewrite the culture of distance racing and define an era.
Using the Rules
For 20 years now, ever since meeting Bobby, my rules for training and racing have been: be the bus and go out on a limb.
Going out on a limb has helped me win numerous races that I did not deserve to win. In one recent race in the rain, I was physically drained and struggling technically with slippery pavement.
Nonetheless, I chose to go to the front, which allowed me to control the tempo. The tactic worked. Since I was leading and skating in the only decent lane, no one even tried to pass me.
Being the bus has had an even bigger impact on my career. In fact, I think it was the reason I was able to dominate my era. I became the sprinter the Italians had never had to compete against. And by also preparing for the longer distances, I was able to help my teammates in long races while the rest of the sprinters were on the sidelines.
As I get older, I find I have to rely more and more on my mind and perseverance. But thanks to Bobby's proverbs, I know how to get it done.
---
Tony Muse was the younger half of the legendary Muse brother team of the late-1980s and early-1990s. The two dominated speed skating as the racing world moved from quad to inline skates. Tony won 18 gold medals at the World Championships and another seven at the Pan American Games. These days, he is a father of five and a real estate broker in his homeown of West Des Moines, Iowa. He still races and is a member of the Luigino/Answer racing team.
Luigino Racing
Old 05-29-08, 02:24 PM
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
Old 05-29-08, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13
Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mu02xUgE4k

It's slang. He's American. "Hey, I'm a donut! "
Old 05-29-08, 03:05 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Gahh... tease!
Old 05-29-08, 03:12 PM
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omg inline skating! wtf
Old 05-29-08, 03:23 PM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lithuania
if this was anyone other that jens would there be a thread about it?
Maybe, maybe not. There were posts about Sella's stellar efforts...and he's essentially a no name on the world stage.

Jens is always in the break, riding aggressively, and seems to be a generally good guy. Oh yeah, he's also almost 37. Not to mention he rode his ass off and won his first individual stage of the Giro after some hellacious climbing in previous weeks - in a fashion befitting a champion.
Old 05-29-08, 03:40 PM
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
Maybe, maybe not. There were posts about Sella's stellar efforts...and he's essentially a no name on the world stage.

Jens is always in the break, riding aggressively, and seems to be a generally good guy. Oh yeah, he's also almost 37. Not to mention he rode his ass off and won his first individual stage of the Giro after some hellacious climbing in previous weeks - in a fashion befitting a champion.
more importantly, he didn't wear those pug fugly '1992 neon yellow' framed glasses. those things made csc look like they got rick roll'd or pizza hut commercial'd, or something.
Old 05-29-08, 03:42 PM

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
jens voigt: big heart, small torso.
Old 05-29-08, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm not ashamed to admit my mancrush on Jens.
Old 05-29-08, 10:39 PM

Bikes: Cannondale systemsix, Raleigh Competition '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<3 Jens
Old 05-29-08, 11:12 PM
seppomadness

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by wfrogge
He was no longer content to sit back in the pack and wait for the race to unfold.

He was the race.

He never sat in the pack without a reason, and when he went to the front, it was because he was going somewhere.

He never led just to lead or to take his turn at the front.

He spent every second of the race as if what he was doing was how the race was meant to be.

He controlled who would win, place or show.

No longer did races end in field sprints; instead, they finished in breakaways with wobbly legs and cramped muscles.
Excellent.

Old 05-29-08, 11:17 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
That's awesome!

Sella did a great job with his two breakaway wins on the back to back mountain stages.
Old 05-30-08, 07:08 AM
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I Jens too. Always a voice of reason, as during one of the doping roundups when he said something to the effect of "WTF are they (the riders) thinking...it's only bike racing, it's not like it's something that's all THAT important!"
Old 05-30-08, 08:26 AM

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course there would have been a thread about Stage 18 if Jens hadn't won. Coming out of such a star-studded breakaway pack to essentially crush them with 30km to go? If an essentially unheard-of rider had done that, there would have been *more* press on the result, of the "arrival of the new phenom" variety. F***, the dude took out the World Champion and Italian Champion as well as the Maglia Ciclamino and the (former) Maglia Rosa!

Amazing victory.
Old 05-30-08, 08:51 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn strong ride! I'm no sprinter either so LOVE his strategy/technique/capability.
Old 05-30-08, 09:49 AM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's two things I've really enjoyed watching over the years....Lance sprint up a mountain, and Jens ride a bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.