Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

First real bike and a hello

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-30-08, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I've been lurking around these parts for a while. I didn't register until I actually had made the leap and purchased a bike which I did today. I haven't really ridden a bike since I was 14 or so. A blue huffy with red foam grips on the handlebars and a saddle type basket in the back for my paper route. (I tooled around on my brother-in-law's old walmart brand mountain bike a few times a few years ago)

Anyway, today I took the plunge and bought a Trek 1.2 in black with the red stripes at the LBS in Deptford NJ, Peddlers Shop (https://www.pscycles.com). I can't believe how light this thing is compared to the last bike I owned. Unfortunately it was too late to take it for a spin by the time I got home, so tomorrow will have to do. And I don't have the obligatory white garage door to take a photo in front of, so I hope a mostly white shed that still needs another coat of paint will do.

And a bit more about me. I'm 5'9" around 280, but I don't like to look at the scale, so I'm really not sure. Been heavy for as long as I can remember. I think I jumped over 200 for good when I was a freshman or sophomore in college. Used to play hockey all the time, but it's so tiring that it's not nearly as fun. I'm an engineer and I work a lot of off hours in a lab, which lends itself to hitting the vending machine in the middle of the night, so I expect a long hard journey back below 200, but I'm going to try my best.
Old 05-30-08, 07:06 PM

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just start riding and watching the diet. Bring fruit to work and no change or ones.
Old 05-30-08, 07:10 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep the riding up, the diet sensible and the pounds will disappear faster than you can imagine.

Now.. post some pics of the new ride!!
Old 05-30-08, 07:13 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Buddy, welcome to the club. Bring some hex keys and go for a shakedown ride this weekend, stopping periodically to make adjustments. Once you get it dialed in you will be a happy camper. Enjoy and report back!
Old 05-30-08, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Welcome and keep the riding and watch the diet and you will feel the difference soon.

Old 05-31-08, 04:43 AM
bcc
Large Member

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Bad Boy 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan112
Just start riding and watching the diet. Bring fruit to work and no change or ones.
+1

I've completely removed 'snack' foods from my diet completely and replaced them with fruit. I try not to give in and snack, but when I do at least I know I'm not completely ruining the effort of cycling everywhere. I have to be a bit careful to make sure my fruit stash at work is kept topped up but otherwise it seems to be helping. As of a couple of weeks ago, I'm 15lbs down from my weight at the end of March.
Old 05-31-08, 04:54 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Just start riding. I have lost 26 lbs this year just from ridnig.
The first 500 miles will make your legs stiff. I did some walking to keep the legs loose.
Nice to have a new bike. I started on a used $15 one.
Welcome to BF.
GET A HELMET! Learn to fix a flat tire.

Old 05-31-08, 09:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said, no white garage door, but I do have a white shed, so here's my new bike in front of the white shed door.

Old 05-31-08, 10:15 AM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike!

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 05-31-08, 01:18 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlcharles
Hello, I've been lurking around these parts for a while. I didn't register until I actually had made the leap and purchased a bike which I did today. I haven't really ridden a bike since I was 14 or so. A blue huffy with red foam grips on the handlebars and a saddle type basket in the back for my paper route. (I tooled around on my brother-in-law's old walmart brand mountain bike a few times a few years ago)

Anyway, today I took the plunge and bought a Trek 1.2 in black with the red stripes at the LBS in Deptford NJ, Peddlers Shop (https://www.pscycles.com). I can't believe how light this thing is compared to the last bike I owned. Unfortunately it was too late to take it for a spin by the time I got home, so tomorrow will have to do. And I don't have the obligatory white garage door to take a photo in front of, so I hope a mostly white shed that still needs another coat of paint will do.

And a bit more about me. I'm 5'9" around 280, but I don't like to look at the scale, so I'm really not sure. Been heavy for as long as I can remember. I think I jumped over 200 for good when I was a freshman or sophomore in college. Used to play hockey all the time, but it's so tiring that it's not nearly as fun. I'm an engineer and I work a lot of off hours in a lab, which lends itself to hitting the vending machine in the middle of the night, so I expect a long hard journey back below 200, but I'm going to try my best.
As I have said before, weight isn't the issue, health is. The issue isn't so much the quantity of life, it's the quality of life, it's being able to play catch with your kids or even grand kids. It's being able to go for a walk on the beach with your sweetie, it's being able to grab the can of white paint, and giving the shed another coat, and then going for a ride, while it dries. It's being able to lace on a pair of skates and seeing if you can still skate backwards, or joining a pickup shinny game, without being tired all the time.

First of all, the vending machine, fat laden, high fructose corn syrup soaked, crap wrapped in toxic plastic. Your better off to pack food from home, a sandwich and a banana can work wonders, add some water, and your set, even at 4 in the morning, I know this because I work nights doing heavy lifting. Often a sandwich and a piece of fruit are it.
Old 05-31-08, 01:25 PM
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlcharles
Like I said, no white garage door, but I do have a white shed, so here's my new bike in front of the white shed door.

Nice bike. The saddle looks tilted down a little. Is that on purpose?
Old 05-31-08, 01:37 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That bike looks great. Keep an eye on the wheelset though!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to pick up another lurker!
Old 05-31-08, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't notice. The bike shop set it up for me.

I also try to drink a ton of water. I take a 32 ounce bottle with me every day and most of the time drink at least 2 of them.

I try very hard not to have anything smaller than a five in my pocket so I stay away from the machines, but sometimes it just doesn't work. But, I'm trying hard to stay away from now on.