Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Going to be in the southbay this weekend

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 07:14 PM
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking of riding around Palos Verdes on Sunday in the late am/early pm (gotta make a run by the lbs). I'm still recovering from a knee injury so nothing to epic lol.
Old 05-31-08, 12:58 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might see you out there. When are you planning to start, and from where? I'm planning to do the circuit, but last weekend was my first climbing since I crashed back in Feb, so I'm not really up to anything too epic yet, either.
Old 05-31-08, 06:27 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yogi13
I might see you out there. When are you planning to start, and from where? I'm planning to do the circuit, but last weekend was my first climbing since I crashed back in Feb, so I'm not really up to anything too epic yet, either.

Dude! I don't remember hearing about this. What happened?
Old 06-01-08, 01:02 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Dude! I don't remember hearing about this. What happened?
Hit some kind of bump or rock on the ground riding at 20-24 mph on the Ballona Creek trail a week or so before the end of Feb. Went down like I was shot, no reaction time at all. Landed on my left hip, ribs and elbow and slid for about 20 feet. Nothing broken, a few stitches in my elbow, but banged my ribcage up pretty good. Pain was pretty constant for the first couple of weeks, eased slowly the next couple, but the ribs continued to hurt pretty badly when breathing deeply for about 9 weeks. So, no strenuous exercise from the end of Feb to mid-April.

I was back on the bike around mid-March, but basically just trying to get some miles in. Started to increase the intensity slowly starting around the middle of April: a few intervals, some short but steep hills, etc. Did the climb up PV Drive East last weekend, which is the first reasonably long climb I've done since the accident. No ill effects but definitely didn't feel strong doing so either.

Luckily enough, other than having handlebars and a brake lever shoved about 30 degrees out of alignment nothing much happened to the bike. Only had to get the stuff realigned and the bar tape replaced.
Old 06-01-08, 12:22 PM
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I'm going to ride, I went on a long hike to climb yesterday but I hope you guys have a good ride.
Old 06-05-08, 01:52 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yogi13
Hit some kind of bump or rock on the ground riding at 20-24 mph on the Ballona Creek trail a week or so before the end of Feb. Went down like I was shot, no reaction time at all. Landed on my left hip, ribs and elbow and slid for about 20 feet. Nothing broken, a few stitches in my elbow, but banged my ribcage up pretty good. Pain was pretty constant for the first couple of weeks, eased slowly the next couple, but the ribs continued to hurt pretty badly when breathing deeply for about 9 weeks. So, no strenuous exercise from the end of Feb to mid-April.

I was back on the bike around mid-March, but basically just trying to get some miles in. Started to increase the intensity slowly starting around the middle of April: a few intervals, some short but steep hills, etc. Did the climb up PV Drive East last weekend, which is the first reasonably long climb I've done since the accident. No ill effects but definitely didn't feel strong doing so either.

Luckily enough, other than having handlebars and a brake lever shoved about 30 degrees out of alignment nothing much happened to the bike. Only had to get the stuff realigned and the bar tape replaced.
Sorry, I lost track of this thread. Man, that's a lot of damage, isn't it. I'm glad to hear you're doing better and back on the bike. Funny you mentioned that route- I've just started doing that PV East climb (from PV South)- what a fun descent down the other side! Ihope your summer includes lots of (upright) bike time.