Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Hatchets and Hemorrhoids

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hatchets and Hemorrhoids

I'm 24, and on top of and because of some other health problems, I have some massive internal hemorroids. The Dr is considering surgery, but at this point I'm against it. He gave me some suppositories but they haven't seemed to help. The main problem is sitting for long periods of time is very uncomfortable. At first riding my bike wasn't a problem, but it's been slowly getting worse. Bike shorts help, but don't completely get rid of the discomfort. It's also simply not practical for me to wear them every time I ride.

Since I fixed a friend's bike last week she's been wanting to ride with me. I took my road bike today because my trunk rack doesn't fit on my Beretta, and my hybrid won't fit in the trunk. The roadie has a concor saddle that for one, I'm not used to, and two has very little padding. I've played with adjustments, tried with the bike shorts, but this saddle is killing me. I know the answer...replace it with something that works for me.

But at this point, I'm not even sure what to try. Every saddle that used to be comfortable isn't anymore. Even my hybrid, which I could easily ride 30 miles with no discomfort is bothering me after a very short time. After 5 miles I was so glad she decided it was too hot out and wanted to get back to working on our project for school.

Anyone have any ideas to bring enjoyment and comfort back into the saddle? That's where my biggest problem is. I don't get a chance to sit anywhere else very long. so, any good OTC creams or ointments? adjustment tricks? The TDC is a week from tomorrow and I need to get some miles in. I see the Dr. Wednesday, but I need to ride a bit before then.
Old 05-31-08, 07:13 PM
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for the hemorrhoids, but I am a big dude, 6'4"270lbs and have fallen in love with my Brooks B17 on both my roadie and my hybrid. Hope this helps.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 05-31-08, 07:16 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Well, there's always the "Get the surgery done" route....

You'll likely eventually have to anyway. A hydrocortizone cream can help, but it's a short term fix at best. The other aspect will be absolute cleanliness to avoid ANY inflammation. Ice packs can help shrink them as well. If they prolapse though, the only solution will be to have them bled and repaired.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-31-08, 07:26 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My endometriosis-induced hemorrhoids don't sound anywhere near as bad as yours, but I do experience unpleasant "flare-ups". A Brooks with springs seems to be the way to go for me. YMMV.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-31-08, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
I hate talking about this. I have been where you are. You have something that won't go away. Sorry.

When you decide to get rid of them, a piece of advice. The Doc or a nurse will tell
you to rest for a while afterwards. Take the advice. I was a backpacker at the time and thought I was tough as nails.

I remember waking up on the floor of the waiting room. I asked what happened.
A nurse said I passed out. I said I don't pass out. Oh well...
Old 05-31-08, 07:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, congrats on riding with a lady friend (even if she is just a friend). I could never get my ex to ride, and really wish we could have spent more time actually "doing stuff" rather than "hanging out".

As far as seat reccomendations go...I have a few pilonidal abscesses that get irritated by cycling. They developed in college after spending long periods of time in a hard wood chair, writing papers. Opting to not have surgery and live with them has made my seat choice and bike set up critical.

RIght now I am on a Brooks B17 Imperial. The imperial designates it has a cut out to relieve pressure on "that" area, which is has done with candor and grace. Give it the time to break in and it feels amazing.

I think with your situation, you would benefit from a wider seat such as a Brooks. I learned from the owner of my LBS that pressure along the central line of ones backside is caused the sit bones not being properly supported. A too narrow seat will not support the sit bones, leave the "goods" (whether in the front or back) to take the brunt of your weight. Also, gel seats and cushy foamy things are bad as well, since they let the sit bones sink in and still place pressure on the "cash and prizes".

So essentially what I am saying is, is that I feel your pain (literally and figuretivly) and suggest trying something a tad wider, possibly a Brooks, or something else designed for a wider sit bone region. The extra weight is totally worth it though as far as a Brooks goes, and I am sure others will recommend them as well.
Old 06-01-08, 06:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the hydrocortizone just isn't doing it. I didn't even think about ice packs, but that makes sense. I think I'll try that before and after I ride. I see the Dr. again wednesday, so I'll be asking a lot of questions. At this point, surgery would have to wait until July at the earliest, and it would totally screw up my plans of picking up a second job during my semester off. I know my health and body are more important, but money is also tight right now.

As far as the Brooks goes, it's a little out of my budget. I hear nothing but positive things about them. I do have another option I forgot about. I have 3 spare Schwinn mattress saddles so I might try one of those out for a while.

And the ladyfriend...Yeah, it is nice riding with someone. At this point, we can't be much more than friends. As some of you know, I'm in a bad relationship that I'm finally getting the nerve to end. It's gonna take time before I jump in again, even after she moves back in with her mom. It sure is nice though to have a woman in my life who respects me for who I am and as an added bonus has an interest in riding. It's a good thing I've finally learned enough to take my time. She did get me this sticker though.
Old 06-01-08, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain, literally.........
Old 06-01-08, 12:14 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Oh man good luck!

What do people think about these kinds of saddles? I saw a few people with the one on the top left on a long ride and they swore by it.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 06-01-08, 01:39 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd just plan to stay off the bike and go forward with the surgery for now.
Old 06-01-08, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
I'd just plan to stay off the bike and go forward with the surgery for now.
That's very good advice, but at the same time some of my other problems require such an outlet. It's one of those situations where I have to choose what's going to bother me more. At this point time off the bike will cause me more harm in other areas.
Old 06-01-08, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I recently purchased a Serfas Rx saddle from REI for my commuter bike and have found it to be very comfortable. At $45, it's a bit less expensive than a Brooks B17. Doesn't sound like anything, other than surgery, is really going to cure your problem but if you're looking for a different saddle the Serfas Rx might be one to consider...
Old 06-02-08, 11:28 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate to say this but I'm really afraid your only relief will be the surgery. I have only dealt with the external form but that was incredibly painful. I can't even imagine riding a bicycle with those. I'm currently dealing with a fissure in that area but for some strange reason it's standing still or sitting on something too soft that bothers me. A very firm seat, walking, running or even riding a bicycle actually relieve the pain. I hope you can work it out so you can have the surgery. I really feel for you.

Joe
Old 06-02-08, 11:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there and sympathize. If by surgery your doctor just means the rubber band ligation, let him do it. It will get rid of the dam* things and when you heal up, you'll feel a lot better. Until you do it, changing your bike saddle won't help much. Just be sure to ask the doctor for some kind of pain killer that is a little stronger than tylenol and have the pill there with you to take as soon as the procedure is over. Also, ask someone to drive you home. The procedure doesn't take long, though it is a bit embarrassing, and the healing should be over with in about a week.
Old 06-03-08, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have experienced non-surgical ways to fix hemis. PM me if interested.

And +1 on the Serfas Rx.
Old 06-03-08, 11:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what type of surgery they plan on doing. I was still a bit out of it from the anesthesia for the colonoscopy when they were telling me about it. The other pain in my butt that I'm trying to get rid of wasn't listening while the Dr. was talking Of course, that's nothing new. Oh well...Maybe I'll be free of both soon.
Old 06-03-08, 11:58 AM
Emeritus...a second time?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy of mine got one lifting weights. He looked real tough when he came back to school with an inflatable dough nut.

Not to make light of your situation OP. I'm sorry to hear that. I am a bit heavy too and my saddle isn't the best, ergonomically speaking. I've never gotten a 'roid but working construction in the summer I have suffered some nasty ADR (adult Diaper Rash)

I really ought to upgrade my saddle.

Good luck man. Hopefully you can rid yourself of them or at least tame them without going under the knife.

Last edited by talleymonster; 06-03-08 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by talleymonster
A buddy of mine got one lifting weights. He looked real tough when he came back to school with an inflatable dough nut.

Not to make light of your situation OP. I'm sorry to hear that. I am a bit heavy too and my saddle isn't the best, ergonomically speaking. I've never gotten a 'roid but working construction in the summer I have suffered some nasty ADR (adult Diaper Rash)

I really ought to upgrade my saddle.

Good luck man. Hopefully you can rid yourself of them or at least tame them without going under the knife.
Don't worry about the joke. Without humor, what do we have? Dr. said maybe about surgery in the future. That followed me telling her about the call I got from work today. It seems I am losing my health insurance at the end of the month. Thankfully, I think I have the constipation issue figured out, and I'll deal with the roids. Other than that, for the most part I am physically healthy so I am thankful for that. It's the mental health end of the insurance that will screw me over. I haven't been seeing a Dr. for that for a few months now and I just made an appontment to begin treatment again.

I guess this is that kick in the butt I needed to find a new job. Sucks that it has to go that way, but I just have to roll with it.
Old 06-04-08, 05:13 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Get the surgery done.
I am 66 y/o had internal and external roids removed in 2005.
It is day surgery.
Now riding 90 miles some days. 300 miles a week.

Old 06-04-08, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get the surgery done.
It is day surgery.
At this point it's not possible. Not just my fear talking this time. It's funny how much we complain about things until they are gone, then we miss them. I'll miss you, you stupid red tape and paperwork filled HMO....
Old 06-04-08, 05:38 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

COBRA, if it's a job based policy, or if they are changing policies, don't sweat it, because the Insurance Portability act protects you from "preexisting condition" clauses, as long as you had credible coverage no more than 30 days prior to the new Insurance. Make sure you get a certificate of coverage at the end date.
Originally Posted by StokerPoker
At this point it's not possible. Not just my fear talking this time. It's funny how much we complain about things until they are gone, then we miss them. I'll miss you, you stupid red tape and paperwork filled HMO....

Old 06-04-08, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
try eating more salad perhaps.
Old 06-04-08, 05:47 PM

Only if they aren't caused by endometriosis.

Old 06-04-08, 05:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get the surgery done.
It is day surgery.
You are 20 years my senior and could easily kick my but on a bike!

When I started riding about 8 months ago I was amazed and quite impressed at all the "older folks" I saw riding on the trail, and their fitness levels were amazing. I had people well into their 70's and above smoke me on a daily basis. Now granted I was just starting out, but some these people still easily pass me by like I'm a child on a BMX bike. I had no idea that people could be so physically fit in their later years, and I suspect many people the same age as them don't know what they are actually capable of doing. It has been very enlightening and very nice to see. I saw a woman a couple of days ago that I guess was about 65 years old that had an absolutely amazing body. I don't mean that in a sexual way either, she had more defined and toned lean muscle than I see on woman at any age. Her arms, abs, and legs looked like she was a beautiful sculpture. The only way I roughly approximated her age was by her face.
Anyway, very impressive..