Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Snapped Seat Post Bolt

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Snapped Seat Post Bolt

Old 12-18-03, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snapped Seat Post Bolt

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I was cruising along and my seat shifted forward (I guess it lossened up from between the brackets holding it in place), and then the next thing I know the bolt snaps and the bracks falls away leaving me with a seat falling down between my legs. I lost the bracket because I was riding a metal gated pedestrian bridge over a river, and it fell through. My LBS gave me a replacement bracket for free from their parts box, but didn't have a bolt that worked, and neither did my local hardware store. Where/how is the best way to get a simple replacement part like such other than what I have tried?
Old 12-18-03, 09:54 AM
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this site:

https://www.thethirdhand.com/

They have lots of odd parts and loose screws, nuts, bolts, etc...
Old 12-28-03, 03:23 AM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
umm, maybe try metric and standard bolts @ the hardware store- I've gone in talking how the thread pitch was wrong - fellow looked @ me like I was a fool and said "Ya want a metric bolt son" yep.
Old 01-04-04, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked at my local hardware but didnt find what I needed, and I haven't made a trip cross town yet to the mega stores, and dont want to if its just to get a bolt, so I am looking at thethirdhand.com, but I don't know what the true names of the parts I need are. I can kinda figure it out by intuition I think but would like some more info first.

I seem to remember seeing a site that showed a map of a bike with the parts names outlined, but dont remember where I saw it. Anyone know where I can get a reference to all the names of bike hardware?
Old 01-04-04, 09:18 PM
ld-cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen several of the single bolt steaposts pop over the last few years.

Recommend getting a double bolt type instead...
Old 01-05-04, 07:08 AM
Superman With Silver Guns

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cannondale MTB, Fetish SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar experience with the bolt to tighten the seatpost. I adjusted my seatpost height and retightened the bolt and leaned my bike against the car. A few minutes later like a gunshot the head of the bolt popped off and hit my car leaving a dent. I used my headset cap bolt in the seatpost and my chain tool bolt in the headset cap so I could ride.
Old 01-06-04, 01:23 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a telescopic axiom seatpost- guess what? stripped the threads- then later, the nuts ( those round shaft nuts are aluminum ) so I was upset- found that my ikea couch had the same nuts but steel! so I replaced the front with steel and got new bolts from the hardware store- now if nobody sits on the couch...
Old 01-06-04, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prestonjb
I've seen several of the single bolt steaposts pop over the last few years.

Recommend getting a double bolt type instead...
The double bolt ones use smaller diameter bolts and are even easier for the ham fisted to bugger.
Old 01-06-04, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by franklen
I checked at my local hardware but didnt find what I needed, and I haven't made a trip cross town yet to the mega stores, and dont want to if its just to get a bolt, so I am looking at thethirdhand.com, but I don't know what the true names of the parts I need are. I can kinda figure it out by intuition I think but would like some more info first.

I seem to remember seeing a site that showed a map of a bike with the parts names outlined, but dont remember where I saw it. Anyone know where I can get a reference to all the names of bike hardware?
Try www.parktool.com It's simply an allen (hex) head bolt with most likely metric threads. Many are a special higher grade than the generic hardware or walmat fare. You neeed ot match grade, and threading, and length. Easiest way is take it to Big Store. Shipping and handling from Loosescrews will be more than cost of gas.