Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Classic" trailer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Classic" trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 01:13 PM
Cyclotouriste

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Classic" trailer

I've recently acquired at Burley Flatbed trailer to pull behind my mostly '60 Raleigh Sports. The Conventional Wisdom is to attach a Rubbermaid box to make it more useful,:but those plastic storage boxes are so god-awful ugly I just can't bear to do it.

I'm trying to think of something appropriate to use as the load container. I've had some general thoughts like wood (probably too heavy) and fiberglass (too messy, and still plastic). There's a guy on the net that makes custom wicker baskets, but they're kind of expensive. Or I thought maybe I could make a little containing rack out of aluminum or even copper tubing (love that verdigris), although the lockable-box concept has a lot of appeal.

It's all vanity, of course, and I should stop thinking and get to riding, but I wanted to take a moment to probe the forum's collective thoughts.

Best regards,

Mark McClure
Old 06-03-08, 01:27 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Check out some thrift stores; they're a good source for wicker trunks.
Old 06-03-08, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Army surplus stores have a great variety of lightweight metal boxes with hinged lids.
Old 06-16-08, 09:14 PM
Cyclotouriste

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've been searching and thinking about the trailer box question for a couple of weeks.

I bought and returned a Rubbermaid "ActionPacker," for although it was of good dimension, it was just too hideous to contemplate pulling behind a gentleman's machine like the '60 Raleigh Sports with Full Chaincase.

The wicker and surplus [aluminum] trunk ideas are excellent, but preliminary research suggests that finding the right size at the right price could take a while.

In the spirit of "reduce, reuse, recycle," I'm strongly thinking about just staying with the cardboard box and use it until it wears out, then get another one. It doesn't rain much here, so a strong box ought to last many months. The concept has a strong whiff of homelessness about it, but I must say, aesthetically, it's vastly superior to the aforementioned Rubbermaid montstrosity.

All this thought into a box for my trailer. And to think, I'm not even retired.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by Tujunga Kid; 06-16-08 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Style changes
Old 06-17-08, 10:43 AM
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I converted an old Burley to a flatbed. I made a short box with some old steel Rigida rims to hold in cargo and such. There are probably some much better design concepts, but I'm very pleased with it. The carpet is to eliminate noise of cargo drumming on the plywood deck.

Old 06-17-08, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cardboard is very durable and easily painted. You can get some boxes that are almost as durable as plywood. With a little carefully applied paint; you can eliminate any "transient" appearance.........
Old 06-17-08, 10:49 AM
Trout!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute of unknown age, Framed Gravier

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a nice old antique dynamite crate that I've been thinking about making into a bike trailer
Old 06-17-08, 11:41 AM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
some art supply stores (like micheals or a.c.moore) have a pretty good basket selection. maybe you could get some basket pattern shelf paper for your cardboard box.
Old 06-17-08, 11:51 AM
The Wheel is Turning

Bikes: '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How 'bout a C&V Cooler... Like This 1950's Coleman Repop-

Old 06-17-08, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you need a box / basket? I`we been thinking of making a "bag", bottom same size & shape as the trailer. Some sort of system to attach in all corners. Make it taller than you need. Roll it down in the top the way some waterproof bags are rolled. Welcro or similar to secure in the top. That way you are free to put big / long items also without remowing the box.

On my homemade flatbed trailer I use a wire (steel) basket made for storing chlotes in a wardrobe. You should be able to find bigger ones if you look around. Mine is approx 96x58x25 cm`s. I am going to combine it with a bag like described above.
Old 06-17-08, 03:17 PM

Bikes: trek,specialized,terry,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noah Scape
I converted an old Burley to a flatbed. I made a short box with some old steel Rigida rims to hold in cargo and such. There are probably some much better design concepts, but I'm very pleased with it. The carpet is to eliminate noise of cargo drumming on the plywood deck.

Great looking cargo trailer!
Old 06-18-08, 04:44 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noah Scape
I too have just recently acquired one of these, thanks for showing yours.
Old 06-18-08, 06:43 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Take a look at this Chinese cargo trike... the cargo bed has a great 'vintage' look. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/722934009.html
Old 06-18-08, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noah, that is such a boss trailer!
Did you have any trouble stretching out those rims without kinking them?

Any idea what it weighs?
Old 06-18-08, 10:13 AM

Bikes: '89 Bridgestone MB-3, '91 Bridgestone CB-0, '92 Bridgestone RB-2, '94 Bridgestone MB-2, '96 Trek 8000, '05 Jamis Dakar XC Expert

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you search "trunk" on ebay or CL, you'll find some interesting possibilities. One of the medium size antique steamers listed here might look really sweet on a trailer. Some are pretty cheap, too.

https://antiques.search.ebay.com/trun...63589QQsascsZ2
Old 06-18-08, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Surley Crosscheck, 1988 Rockhopper Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to step up from cardboard, you might think about coroplast. https://www.coroplast.com/product.htm

It is the plastic sheets they make all those political signs out of. The material is durable, light, and water proof. try a sign maker/ art supplier or wait until the election gets into swing for the acquisition of material.
Eric
Old 06-18-08, 02:05 PM
can't member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eppoh
Noah, that is such a boss trailer!
Did you have any trouble stretching out those rims without kinking them?

Any idea what it weighs?

I did not stretch them... the rims in the box are 27s; the wheels on the trailer are 20s. I think it weighs about 22-23 pounds.
Old 01-26-09, 04:35 PM
Desert Flatlander

Bikes: 2001 Trek Alpha 1000, Micargi Tahiti NX3 'The Iron Horse', and many other cheap resale and family bikes.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar problem. I have a Micargi Tahiti NX3 beach cruiser. I pull an equally cheap 'Master Cycle' kids trailer behind it. I have been starting to plan a 'classic' looking trailer build for after my 15 month old daughter out grows the trailer. I know, I know, it's going to be a while. I wanted to throw out the rainbow stuff and find a cool container to put on it. I've decided for the container I'm going to use a grocery cart and line it with diamond plate and make a hinged flush top for it out of the same. I figured if I paint it matte black it should look pretty good behind my cruiser. Then I realized I will need to disassemble the wheels and paint the rims red to match my bike. Then I realized that it won't have sweet ducktail fenders like my bike does. So now I'm thinking of doing a ground up build.

I want to use the grocery cart so I can detach it and push it right into the store. I think I'm going to look for some replacement parts for my bike and see if I can source just the front wheel and fender then get two of them. Maybe a third mounted up somewhere as a spare. I've been wanting to learn to tig weld for a while. So, I think I will come up with a frame design and build it out of aluminum.

Has anyone seen a classic or cruiser looking full fendered enclosed trailer. If I didn't want a cart that was pushable I would build a tear drop motorcycle style trailer. Like you see going down the road behind a fully dressed touring motorcycle.
Old 01-26-09, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Having actually had a 50's vintage cargo trailer (in the 70's) that I used to deliver papers with I'll describe how it was done. The trailer had a full tube frame of mild steel. It attached at the seat post like a trail a bike with a very thick piece of leather sandwiched between plates so that it didn't pull out. The top rails were slanted to the back. with the hitch arm being supported but the top rail (think chariot). The floor was 1/4 inch think plywood and the rest of the trailer was covered in tent canvas.

I may have a picture I can post later. It had been recovered at that point but it will give you an idea of what it looked like.
Old 01-26-09, 07:57 PM
Desert Flatlander

Bikes: 2001 Trek Alpha 1000, Micargi Tahiti NX3 'The Iron Horse', and many other cheap resale and family bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for something that matches the style of my bike, not neccessarily something vintage looking.