Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Lifetime Guarantee

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 03:33 PM
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts

As I look at my '85 Schwinn Sierra do-everything bike. I was wondering with Schwinn going belly-up and then sold in the 90's, is my 'lifetime warrently' on the frame still any good? I do not have a problem, but if I did, what would I do? The Schwinn dealer in town is now nothing but the old sign on top the building.
Old 06-03-08, 04:20 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
As I look at my '85 Schwinn Sierra do-everything bike. I was wondering with Schwinn going belly-up and then sold in the 90's, is my 'lifetime warrently' on the frame still any good? I do not have a problem, but if I did, what would I do? The Schwinn dealer in town is now nothing but the old sign on top the building.
AFAIK...NOPE! When they went bankrupt all warranties expressed or implied went out the window. FWIW I had a frame replaced under warranty way back in the 70's, managed to break a weld on my Heavy Duty, they replaced the frame and the shop paid for the labor to swap all the stuff over. Unfortunately that was then and now is now

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-03-08, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
It would be cool to see a picture of that sign.
Old 06-03-08, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That seems very unwarrantly of them.
Old 06-03-08, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
If something were to go wrong, it is not like the "old days" where the basic frame was probably still in production, I broke a Sting-Ray frame in 1974, bought used even, but as I had a reputation with the shop for not abusing stuff they got me a new frame, but no color choice. The shop originally wanted to "weld it up" for me... nyet.

If you went to a local bike shop selling Schwinn's today, I bet the shop would not want to take the fall, but making a presentation to the sales rep or above could get an deal on a replacement, little cost for good will, just don't go into a shop that you never patronize and try that.
Old 06-03-08, 08:34 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
When I broke my 1971 Nishiki frame in 1991, a local dealership and Nishiki's new owner offered me my purchase price, $150, in credit toward the purchase of a new bicycle of my choice. I did not take them up on it, because I found my used Peugeot PKN-10 at a yard sale.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-04-08, 09:01 AM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I broke my Raleigh Grand Prix frame at the seat stay back in the early 70's. I was hoping for a new frame, instead the owner of the shop where I bought it got out the torch and rebrazed it. He shot a little silver paint on, followed by the candy apple red. He did a great job and it lasted as long as I owned it.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 06-04-08, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Broke my 12 year old Specialized Rockhopper frame. It was relaced under warranty with my choice of 2 different Hardrock frames.

Save your receipt.
Old 06-04-08, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
I worked at a Schwinn dealer in the mid 90s, before the most recent (2001?) demise/resurrection of Schwinn and I was informed the people in charge at the time had a 10 year responsibility for promises made by previous administrations. IOW, your Sierra warranty expired in 1995, and my Cimarron's warranty expired in 1997.

Not sure what the current situation is, but I expect I'm on my own with my 1996 Homegrown.
Old 06-04-08, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically a new owner inherits the obligations and liabilities of the company. If you could not resolve the issue amicably your State Atty. General may assist you ( they usually have a consumer protection unit).

Below is from Schwinn's website.

https://www.schwinnbike.com/care/warranty.php

"Schwinn's liability hereunder is expressly limited to the replacement of goods not complying with this warranty or, at Schwinn's election, to the repayment of an amount equal to the purchase price of the product in question."
Old 06-04-08, 12:23 PM
jgmacg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Perhaps Schwinn meant their lifetime.