Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

tell me about diamondback bikes...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-03-08, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i saw the diamondback insight at dick's and really like it; very light and good overall quality. the price is 349 after 50 discount. the only problem i saw on the particular bike i looked at was that the seat is loose. it use those tool-less snap on and doesn't stay in place unless the lever is bent the opposite way.

i didn't have time to go check out the bianchi road bike to compare them. of course, dick's doesn't facility test ride so i can't tell how well it rides but i assume the ride would be great. i don't like the way the handle bar and gear/brake levers are position though.

https://www.diamondback.com/bikes/per...rid/insight-2/

Last edited by nick__45; 06-03-08 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd suggest going to a real bike shop where you can ride the bikes.
Old 06-03-08, 08:17 PM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two diamondbacks. They've been good bikes.

BUT...

Dick's might have a few stores with some passionate bike techs, but they'd be the exception to the rule. More likely, you'll get someone who's passionate about fitness, sales, or golf than someone who knows anything about bikes. And the person who put the bike together? Likely some high-school kid making a notch over minimum wage.

A cheap bike, properly assembled, can be a decent bike. A good bike, put together by someone who's in a hurry or doesn't quite know what they're doing? It can be a real piece of crap. I wouldn't likely trust a Dick's employee to assemble a bicycle properly. And Diamondback isn't a brand you'll find at an Independent bike dealer.

One of my DB's was sold to me used from my LBS. They'd overhauled it and it was like new except for some scuffs and scrapes from regular use. The other one was a decade-old never-ridden garage ornament that I had to tear down and re-assemble myself before I could even think of riding it.

My opinion? Diamondbacks are okay, the places that put them together and sell them are usually not.
Old 06-03-08, 08:48 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The diamondback is going to be of equal quality of anything else in that price range.

They're no longer the premium brand they were decades ago... but still... it's just an imported frame with some imported components bolted to it - like the majority of bikes, and everything in this price range. The only real concern with buying from a big-box store would be assembly quality.
Old 06-03-08, 08:52 PM
Here's a Quarter...

Bikes: iro phoenix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks nice! i know Dick's isn't a real bike shop, but Diamondback seems to be selling more quality bikes at xmarts than other brands that sell-out to box stores. i have a diamondback transporter that i got from my LBS after he quit selling their line because of that reason. he only sells bianchis now - way too much for me! the parts on the diamondback bike you linked to used to be parts people only got at bike stores aka LBS, so that is why i am suprised that they sell reasonable Shimano parts at a box store. i'd recommend buying it. after all, i spent about 3 times as much on commuting gear as on my bike!
Old 06-03-08, 09:06 PM

Bikes: 2008 Bianchi Milano Citta and 2008 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you the same nick__45 over on GT who just posted a pic of that beautiful Bianchi Veloce?
Old 06-03-08, 09:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here,

the quality is above and beyond xmas, kidmart, toyrus, and other big box store. not sure about the rest of the country, but the dick's here has a repair stand and does take repair order in. the assembly quality is very good with only the seat on one particular bike is the problem. and that can be correct with a right plastic washer.

i squeeze the brake and they are perfectly aligned unlike big box stores where they pads would stay on the rims. overall i was very please. the price is very attractive and deserve a second look. i love to take a look at some used diamondback to see how they hold up over the years. however, i honestly like the used bianchi road bike for sale for 158 at the bike shop. what is the cheapest road bike bianchi makes? that bike looks almost new so it must be very cared for. only the handlebar paddings have some rip spots from usage. i probably pick that one up as a good starter and either build or upgrade from their.
Old 06-03-08, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr23779
Are you the same nick__45 over on GT who just posted a pic of that beautiful Bianchi Veloce?
no. what's GT? gt bike forum?
Old 06-03-08, 09:29 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a decent bike to me. And since I know how to put bikes together, it would be perfect for me. Amazing price too. Lots of decent components for the money. And did you notice it's got disc tabs.
Old 06-03-08, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
Looks like a decent bike to me. And since I know how to put bikes together, it would be perfect for me. Amazing price too. Lots of decent components for the money. And did you notice it's got disc tabs.
what's disc tabs? disc brakes? if so, no i didn't see them. they look like very good quality bike; their performance hybrid is very light. i am going to have to investigate their used rides to see how they hold up. that is a true test of craftmanship; things stay tuned after years of use.
Old 06-03-08, 09:43 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The tabs are visible on the front fork. The disc calipers mount here. Installing discs is a breeze, but you'll also need wheels with disc hubs, which would cost you a little more.

EDIT: I tried not to like this bike, but I love the geometry and the color, and the component set isn't all THAT bad.
Old 06-03-08, 10:07 PM
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a great experience when I bought my D'back Transporter at Sports Authority. It was very well put together and had no problems.

You've got to remember that a lot of these bikes are mostly assembled when they come out of the box. I think any halfway decent tech can put these together esp. when you get a quality product like this.

On the no test ride policy, I have a "normal" torso and "normal" leg lengths so I can pretty much straddle a bike and tell if it's for me. If you have had problems historically getting fitted on a bike I suggest you seek out an LBS and try their selection.
Old 06-03-08, 10:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they allow test ride, it's that dick's store isn't exact a place to test ride them. i can get them and test ride for 90 days though.
Old 06-03-08, 10:46 PM

Bikes: 2008 Bianchi Milano Citta and 2008 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick__45
no. what's GT? gt bike forum?
Nope. Sorry about that. You have the exact same screen name and post in a similar manner by starting your earlier post with "OP here," as someone on another forum I frequent. Has nothing to do with bicycles.
Old 06-03-08, 10:50 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first post-drivers-license bike was a diamondback bought at Dick's (circa 1994).

It was a good starter bike.
Old 06-03-08, 11:07 PM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick__45
the quality is above and beyond xmas, kidmart, toyrus, and other big box store. not sure about the rest of the country, but the dick's here has a repair stand and does take repair order in. the assembly quality is very good with only the seat on one particular bike is the problem. and that can be correct with a right plastic washer.
I have a bike stand and some tools, too. It doesn't make me a bike mechanic.

The two Dick's Stores out here have repair stands and take repair orders as well, but the bikes at both stores have assembly issues. The only repairs I've seen them make are things like replacing chains, brake cables, tires and inner tubes. I've never seen them true a wheel, swap a cassette, or install a new derailleur, for example. I don't think they'd know where to begin for some of that stuff, if they even had the tools to do it.

Again, the bikes themselves are fine, but assembly at places like Dick's and Sports Authority, while perhaps a big step up from Targer or Wal-Mart, is going to lack the finesse put into a bike that's been assembled and tuned up at a real bike shop.
Old 06-03-08, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
' love mine. Its my main commuter bike. It hasn't given me any trouble the whole 2.5 years I owned it.

My only complain, is that its somewhat heavy. 32lbs the way it is on this pic.

Last edited by DVC45; 06-03-08 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 06:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i can just find a time to go back to the bike shop and take a closer look at the used bianchi. 158 is a excellent price for bianchi; especially since it looks very new.

now the next question is whether or not it is better to buy modern bike that have newer technology or a very good quality used bike. without having test both side by side, i can't tell if the used bianchi is as light as diamondback. i can't believe how light bikes have gotten over the years. i haven't been to the bike store for 11 years after getting my bmx so i way out of touch with the lingo.
Old 06-04-08, 08:08 AM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really wouldn't make it a priority to get "newer technology" unless and until you know it's going to give you some advantage -- and you won't know that until you do some riding.

I should say, BTW, that until a few weeks ago I had a Diamondback and it was my commuter bike. Well, actually, it was a Diamondback frame with a fair amount of aftermarket components, built by the fine mechanics of Bikes Not Bombs. It was sturdy, put together by people who know what they're doing, and quite serviceable. It would still be in service but for an unfortunate encounter with a door. It certainly didn't have "newer technology", and I didn't need it, but with years of experience riding it, I do appreciate the upgrade that my new bike represents. If I were just hopping on the bike again after years away from it, though, I don't know that I would appreciate those differences enough to warrant buying my new bike.
Old 06-04-08, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
As you can see by my signature, I currently have 4 DBs ranging from '86 - '00 model years and previously had 5 others. They have been good bikes and served us well. The one you are looking at has a good component mix for the price. The Bianchi sounds like a nice bike as well but is truly a different animal. Do you want a road bike or do you want a hybrid? If you aren't sure, go for the Bianchi. If you don't like it, you have less to loose if you end up reselling it.

And we have 2 local independent LBSs that carry DBs so they aren't just a big box bike.