Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Has anyone converted their folding bike to single speed?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 10:39 PM
Donkeyfatality

Bikes: Dahon D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering. I got a dahon and it's a seven speed. I was planning on getting a new hub eventually and doing the whole fixed gear/ single speed thing. Just wanted to know If anyone had done this, and If so, are there any problems/issues I need to watch for?
Old 06-03-08, 11:45 PM
Recently Re-tired.

Bikes: Lightfoot Ranger, Maxarya (both recumbents), Strida, Dahon Jetsream E-bike, Dahon Curve SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Strida is a single speed, belt drive. Does that count??? Probably not, since it was that way when I bought it.
Old 06-04-08, 03:14 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the usual SS/fixed thing of horizontal dropouts/alternative chain tension solutions.
Old 06-04-08, 05:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - I think you'd need an eccentric hub (see here for Sheldon Brown https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html )or a chain tensioner if you went single speed. The hub geared bikes you could convert pretty easily I reckon with a bog standard fixed hub. There are a couple of great conversions done by people on here. I would LOVE to do that to a bike, but to do it properly you have to think about cost and time (and the fact I have a hon solo!)
Old 06-04-08, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Check out the Dahon Boardwalk S1 it is a SS and check out your local classifieds for a used one.
Old 06-04-08, 08:18 AM

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I converted a 9 speed hub into a single speed on my R20 Aussie clone bike. It had regular dropouts, so I had a bolted axle and no chain tensioner...worked like a charm.
Old 06-04-08, 08:29 AM
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
tail slides with a fixie-folder..

i wonder if someone could squeeze one into the MASH 2 dvd! haha
Old 06-04-08, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my Swift with flip flop wheel, removed the fixed cog, and replaced the freewheel with a 15 tooth freewheel from sheldonbrown.com.
Old 06-05-08, 12:25 AM

Bikes: Dahon Presto, Trek MTB, Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted my Dahon Presto from 3-sp to fixed. It has 120mm width and horizontal dropouts, so a fixed hub fit perfectly. With 53/12 rings and 305mm wheels it has a very nice 70 inch gear. It’s perfect for my flat commute, plus it is noticeably lighter when I have to carry it around.
Old 06-05-08, 08:47 PM
Donkeyfatality

Bikes: Dahon D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone!!!

I have to decide if i should buy the 07 DahonD7, or go with a lil cheaper model, even tho it's only 400$. Im planning on riding to and from work, and around my hood in cincinnati. I have a few hills to deal with and it isn't a far ride. Any one got any opinions ? The guy who owns gargoyle cycles here in cincinnati ( actually glendale for those of you who know cincy) suggested the d7 since I am new to this, but my original plan was a track bike, only, i'm 5'2 and don't have 700 to drop on a custom bike, which is what got me into the folding bikes at first, but after seeing them, and talking to people like ya'll that ride em i am sold. Hopefully I can convert the d7 when i am ready, and maybe you all could give me some needed advice.
Old 06-05-08, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom808
I converted my Dahon Presto from 3-sp to fixed. It has 120mm width and horizontal dropouts, so a fixed hub fit perfectly. With 53/12 rings and 305mm wheels it has a very nice 70 inch gear. It’s perfect for my flat commute, plus it is noticeably lighter when I have to carry it around.
Can I see some picture of your presto? I own a presto as well and am planning to fit a SS hub to it.
How mucy have you spent in the conversion?
Old 06-07-08, 12:16 AM

Bikes: Dahon Presto, Trek MTB, Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
Can I see some picture of your presto? I own a presto as well and am planning to fit a SS hub to it.
How mucy have you spent in the conversion?
Raxel,

I have attached a couple of shots. Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular. The crank is a cheap 39/53 double from Nashbar (with the inner removed, the outer moved to the inner). The bottom bracket is Nashbar as well, 107mm I believe. The hub is an inexpensive 32 spoke flip/flop hub laced to a aeroheat rim. There were not a whole lot of options for a 305 size rim with 32 spokes. The cog is a Surly 12 teeth. I did not get a notched lock ring, so there is a little bit of noise where the chain runs on it. Some day I might change it out.

I don't recall the exact cost of the wheel, but it was not particularly cheap. something like $135.00 built.