Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Monthly goal check-up - HOw are you doing on your yearly goals so far?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 10:14 PM

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well its been a full five months since I set my goals. I have had some ups and some downs but in all it looks not so bad so far. May was a rough month but it ended well with my health, home, and life back in line and more miles than I thought I'd get too.

My goal for May was 200 miles I was only able to get in 148.5 due being off the bike for a good 2 weeks for recovering from pneumonia. The final week of the month was a good one with `80 miles in the last 7 days of the month. My weight loss continues to be slower than desired - still fighting the hand-mouth mind control battle. My prep for my first century on July 5th is behind schedule but if I can get in a 40-50 mile ride this weekend I should be OK.

So here is the data:

Goal: 2000 miles for the year - as of May 31 I'm at 911.4
Goal: lose 40 pounds (187) - As of my doctors visit on May 25th I'm at 217 down 10 pounds for the year
Goal: ride 3 centuries - first one is scheduled for July 5th - Mt. Davis Century

So how are you doing so far?
Old 06-04-08, 10:22 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A bit over 1700 for the year. A little behind schedule but I had no goals. Since the price of gas has sky rocketed, I have been riding around home more than the trail (30 minute drive). Around home is nothing but climbing so some of my rides are 30 rather than 40 but quality miles! No biggie, I don't ge paid by the mile!
Old 06-05-08, 12:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding about 8 months ago at 410 pounds with a goal to lose weight. I have ridden about 3500 miles and lost 130 pounds, down to 280 pounds now. I have 70-80 pounds more to lose, and my goal is to do that before years end. I also found that cycling has been so much more for me than just losing weight, I absolutely love it.

Jake
Old 06-05-08, 01:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakereed
I started riding about 8 months ago at 410 pounds with a goal to lose weight. I have ridden about 3500 miles and lost 130 pounds, down to 280 pounds now. I have 70-80 pounds more to lose, and my goal is to do that before years end. I also found that cycling has been so much more for me than just losing weight, I absolutely love it.

Jake
WOW!!!!

thats awesome!
Old 06-05-08, 06:07 AM
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Started riding Sunday June 5th. I do not have any total mileage goals...hmmm..So far - 63 miles...
Weight Loass since I started on this weight loass journey (4/21) down 12 poiunds...a bit slow but i am convinved slow is good since it means i am not restricting food too badly - cause if you do you end up resenting it and I end up bingeing...so since April my food has been pretty clean!

I am riding over my vacation and then after that on weekends..I guess I do want to do one of those supported centuries. I guess that would be my marathon...How do you get your neck and butt inshape for that???
Old 06-05-08, 06:27 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Time in the saddle. Lots of riding, basically.

https://sweat365.com/library/training...-ride/#more-24

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-05-08, 06:47 AM

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May was the first month since I started this riding addiction that I missed my goal. I had completed 183 miles in April, so I set a goal of 200 for May. I ended up with 174 for the month. I guess that is not too bad of a recovery. I only had 59 miles at the midpoint in the month, and I missed a week in the second half because of my cold and the trip to visit family. I really need to get my riding scheduled smoothed out some, but that is not how my life works. I wind up riding a bunch over a 3 or 4 day period, then I am off the bike for several days. It is hard to readjust my eating habits to account for the swings in calories burned.

My weight loss is slowing a bit, but still progressing. I started at 329 January 1. I lost 10 -11 pounds per month through March, and I am settling in about 7 pounds per month now. My goal by the end of May was 282. I ended up at 281. As of this morning I am half a pound away from the 50 pound mark.
Old 06-05-08, 07:36 AM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a fail. It is too hot in TX for me to ride regularly. I am redefining my season as starting at the end of September and working out in the air-conditioned gym until then.
Old 06-05-08, 07:37 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not doing bad. I set no weight loss goals, really, but I managed to lose almost 40 pounds so far since March. My mileage goal was simple, I wanted to hit 1k by May - which I missed due to a new baby - but I still hit it by the end of May.

Now I DO have goals. I decided that I'm going to compete in the 2009 Dirty Kanza 200, which is a all-gravel 200 mile endurance race sometime next May/June in the hills of Kansas. In one day. Some say I could do it now, but I doubt it. I want to train and make sure I'm there. So my goals:

June: Average 150 miles/week
July 1: Begin 200 miles/week
August 1: begin 250 miles/week
September 1: begin 150 miles/week pavement, 100 miles/week gravel
October 1: begin 50 miles/week pavement, 200 miles/week gravel. Cotinue to December 1 (or further, weather permitting)
Winter: 50 miles/week pavement, 100 miles/week gravel (as weather conditions permit, it can get pretty nasty here)
March 1: begin 50 miles/week pavement, 200 miles/week gravel continue through May
May 1: begin 100 miles/week pavement, 200 miles/weekend gravel

Possible? Yes. Difficult? What isn't? For great suffering there is great spoils. Also note there is no weight loss goal in there. Rather, there is only 1. I told myself I'd be 299 pounds before I started gravel training, so by Sept 1 I need to have lost another 41lbs. Beyond that, it sure would be nice to hit the 300lbs lost (267) before the DK200, but I'm not holding myself to anything.

Also note once this is done, I'm going back to "life" with my family. I'm giving myself this next 12 months to destroy, then rebuild my body into what I've wanted for a long time. After that I plan to just maintain by cycling regularly and continuing to eat healthy.

Of course I say this, but there's this little voice in my head that says "TransIowa in 2010!!" (300+ miles, no breaks, Iowa, gravel, March...).
Old 06-05-08, 07:43 AM

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The riding season had a tough start around here, but now that I've got some foul weather gear it's on. My goal of 1k miles for the year was way low, I'm closing in on 500 with only May as a full month of riding. May have to up that goal to 3k. I have my first metric in a week or so, that will be another goal down. And then at least one century this summer hopefully 2. This morning's 45 mile ride (6 inintentional) has me confident that I can complete the metric with no major issues. I'll ride report that one in a separate post.
Old 06-05-08, 07:54 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bdinger, in the short time I've been here, you have become some what of a role model for me. Not so much that I'm planning a 200 mile gravel infested ride, but none the less, an inspiration.

Since I only started riding about the end of the first week of May, I guess my goals are going to have to be set on a "Metric" year.

Sooooo, for May, I met my only goal. That one goal was to not stop. Ok, a secondary goal was to survive, so 2 fer 2.

I haven't really set any major goals yet, fdr miles or for weight loss. I know what my destination is weight wise, but for now, I'm concentrating on the journey. Sort of a "stick to the process and teh result will come" approach.

Perhaps a good goal for June would be set some goals..........
Old 06-05-08, 09:27 AM
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd like to say that i have no set goals other than to ride more than possible. however, i usually keep my speedo on avg speed and end up obsessed with it. i'd like to get back to averaging 18mph per ride. not there yet. best was 17.9.

so far, i've got about 1100 miles total on my weather bikes and 800 miles on my roadie. i thought i'd have more on my roadie by now, but the weather has been hit or miss all year long.
Old 06-05-08, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Fortunately, I didn't set any goals for myself other than riding more often and riding farther. With over 1,500 miles so far (far more than I had ridden in the past 30 years combined), weekly average over 100 miles and longest ride 40 miles, I never would have set my goals that ambitious. And my dear wife has been accompanying me on many of my rides (she did 100 miles with me last week including 40 on Saturday) which has been great for both of us. And I've already dropped over 25 lbs. so far this year which is about what I would have set for my goal for the year.
Old 06-05-08, 10:25 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7500 miles. 5 group rides and 1 charity ride.
Now my Dr has officially said I need to lose at least 25 lbs and drop my cholesterol about 20 points so I guess I got some new goals which hopefully cyling can help with. I actually dropped from 300+ last may to 263 today and now she says I need to lose weight. oy.

Tommorow I'll have 3000 miles of my 7500 mile goal
For groups rides
I rode a 200k brevet which was also my first century. I rode a century after that.
Last night joined up with someone from work who was on the 200k and did a little neighborhood ride with the Texas Fliers. I hadn't even gotten home from my commute so I was a little low on water and had my panniers but it was still a nice little ride.
Woot I actually fit in my Bacchetta Jersey. Yeah it is 2xl but they snug fit.
Bring it on TX Heat I fear you not, or at least I'm very prepared for you
Old 06-05-08, 10:36 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think my original goals for the year were 5000 miles and the Century-a-Month challenge.
5000 miles might still happen. If not, it will be darned close. I only had about 3000 last year, so I'll be happy with over 4000 this year.
CaM didn't happen. Winter was particularly rough, and I just don't like riding in the snow enough to do a century in it. I'm churning out the long miles, though:
Daffodil Classic century back in April
Tour de Cure and 7 Hills of Kirkland centuries in May
Flying Wheels century (2nd attempt at a 200km) next weekend.
Seattle to Portland double next month.
At least 3 more centuries in Aug/Sept/Oct, so I'll finish my summer with 7 centuries and 1 double.
Old 06-05-08, 11:25 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I think my original goals for the year were 5000 miles and the Century-a-Month challenge.
5000 miles might still happen. If not, it will be darned close.
Too bad for the snow. CAM isn't really very hard to do without it! I did 4,000 miles for about 4 or 5 years. One year I joined the CAM challenge I ended up doing 23 centuries, 11 more than I had set out to ride because of it!

I ended up doing 7300 miles that year. At the end of the year, I looked back at where the time had gone. Now I'm back to a normal life of 4,000!............I'm sure that if you didn't have the snow, you'd easily kick that sucker!
Old 06-05-08, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My yearly goals only started last month My goals are to start commuting by bike, get fit and stop smoking. I ordered the bike the other day, and quitting is going good. It sucks to be a junkie.
Old 06-05-08, 11:48 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Stone
...and quitting is going good. It sucks to be a junkie.
The good thing is that it gets easier the longer you stay away from it. I'm past the 3 year mark and it has been a long time since I've had any kind of craving. Keep away from the smokes and spend some time in the saddle and you'll be amazed how good you begin to feel.
Old 06-05-08, 01:04 PM

Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
The good thing is that it gets easier the longer you stay away from it. I'm past the 3 year mark and it has been a long time since I've had any kind of craving. Keep away from the smokes and spend some time in the saddle and you'll be amazed how good you begin to feel.
+1
7 years without smokes and no cravings for years.
Old 06-05-08, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by natbla
Well its been a full five months since I set my goals. I have had some ups and some downs but in all it looks not so bad so far. May was a rough month but it ended well with my health, home, and life back in line and more miles than I thought I'd get too.

My goal for May was 200 miles I was only able to get in 148.5 due being off the bike for a good 2 weeks for recovering from pneumonia. The final week of the month was a good one with `80 miles in the last 7 days of the month. My weight loss continues to be slower than desired - still fighting the hand-mouth mind control battle. My prep for my first century on July 5th is behind schedule but if I can get in a 40-50 mile ride this weekend I should be OK.

So here is the data:

Goal: 2000 miles for the year - as of May 31 I'm at 911.4
Goal: lose 40 pounds (187) - As of my doctors visit on May 25th I'm at 217 down 10 pounds for the year
Goal: ride 3 centuries - first one is scheduled for July 5th - Mt. Davis Century

So how are you doing so far?
Ugg, May, the month was horrible, it was either cold, wet or windy the whole month, so while I beat last year (229km vs 206km last year) I wanted to get in a lot of riding, but it just didn't happen, so I missed my goal, but I think I was expecting too much, too early in the season.
Old 06-05-08, 04:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Ugg, May, the month was horrible, it was either cold, wet or windy the whole month, so while I beat last year (229km vs 206km last year) I wanted to get in a lot of riding, but it just didn't happen, so I missed my goal, but I think I was expecting too much, too early in the season.
It is amazing the differnece between your weather and mine. We already have high temps between 88 and 90 degrees. I am already pushing rides to either early morning or late evening just so that I can avoid some of the heat.
Old 06-05-08, 04:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racethenation
It is amazing the differnece between your weather and mine. We already have high temps between 88 and 90 degrees. I am already pushing rides to either early morning or late evening just so that I can avoid some of the heat.
Same here, I now start at 6am and finish around 8:30am for 35 miles. Not sure where you're located, but here in Florida it's hot and humid even at that early morning hour.
Old 06-05-08, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by racethenation
Your also about 800 miles south of here, mind you we are suppose to hit 32C (that's 90F) tomorrow, going to be a weird night, it's currently 18C (65F) the over night "low" will be something like 20C(72F), with the temperature continuing to rise, debating about wearing shorts to work tonight.....
Old 06-05-08, 07:15 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I set 200 miles for May and I met that goal with 210.40 miles and my yearly goal that I set in February was 500, so far I'm at 458 and hope to break 500 by Sunday.

I'd like to ride 300 for June and have reset my yearly goal at 1500.
Old 06-05-08, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakereed
Same here, I now start at 6am and finish around 8:30am for 35 miles. Not sure where you're located, but here in Florida it's hot and humid even at that early morning hour.
I am in the Huntsville, AL area. I am in Florida a lot. It is one of the few places that I work in that I can break into a sweat walking around in January.

Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Your also about 800 miles south of here, mind you we are suppose to hit 32C (that's 90F) tomorrow, going to be a weird night, it's currently 18C (65F) the over night "low" will be something like 20C(72F), with the temperature continuing to rise, debating about wearing shorts to work tonight.....

I just finished a 4 mile ride around the neighborhood with my 7 year old. We were at a blistering 7 mile per hour pace, and I am still sweating like crazy. At 8:30 pm, it is still 85F.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.