Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Two shorts related questions...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to get a pair of bike shorts but im not sure im ready to go with straight lycra shorts. Can i get regular tight lycra shorts and wear a pair of gym shorts over them?

If i can... how are the Aerotech Classic shorts? Are they ok or is it worth stepping up to the pro shorts?

If i cant... aerotech has 3 different baggy shorts, any recommendations out of those three?

thanks
Brendan
Old 06-05-08, 02:54 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
The pros are a bit better. I can't answer on the baggy because I don't use them. Actually, I much prefer the bibs.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-05-08, 03:11 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
No. You cannot. The Road Nazi Police will give you a ticket

Seriously, ride/wear what you want. Just ride. Eventually, I think you'll find that there is a reason (or more) that most cyclists wear certain things and use certain equipment. The loose-fitting gym shorts will probably bunch up on you and make life uncomfortable, but only after longer time on the bike. A short mile or two, probably not so much. If you're just cruising around/playing, they'll probably be no big deal.
Old 06-05-08, 04:09 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've tried riding with gym type shorts over lycra. The seams kill me when they dig into my skin, plus the bunching up. Not sure if the mtn bike shorts have a seam there or not, I don't own any. But the lycra shorts are made without the seam in the center for comfort.
Old 06-05-08, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer lycra shorts with a pad. I sweat too much for any pants with seams to be comfortable on rides over one hour either.

I prefer to keep my shorts simple and durable. No seams, and just enough pad to elimnate skin-to-shorts-to-saddle friction and chafing. The pad really just prevents wet material rubbing on my skin, and don't use it for shock absorption.

I've tried a bunch of brands, and have actually had the best luck with my Performance Century, Ultra, or Elite shorts (non-gel); and Pearl Izumi Attack or Ultrasensor shorts. I don't like how bibs feel, and since I sun burn easily, I also like the longer leg lengths found on those shorts.

My shorts also have to be able to take regular washing in a machine using regular detergent. I've had shorts that actually felt a little bit better than the ones listed above, but they tend to fall apart on me faster too. I think, it is because somehow they always end up getting washed and dried too many times with the rest of my workout and yard-work clothes, instead of on the gentle cycle with "gentle" soap, and then laid out to dry.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-08, 04:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinyon
I prefer lycra shorts with a pad. I sweat too much for any pants with seams to be comfortable on rides over one hour either.

and Pearl Izumi Attack or Ultrasensor shorts. I don't like how bibs feel, and since I sun burn easily, I also like the longer leg lengths found on those shorts.
If you like the leg length you should try PI's Quest model. I get them at the shop for $45. They have the same pad that I like in the Ultra Sensors befoe they went lite and skimpy....The blue chaois with the ruffles, or ridges whatever they are!

US's are about mid-thight to me. Quest is down to my knees. Don't care for the length but doesn't make a difference while riding and they are cheap.
Old 06-05-08, 06:35 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aerotech has my business forever. I have one pair of their pro shorts, and it's the only pair of cycling shorts I've had for the past two years! they have countless rides and thousands of miles on them, and they still feel excellent and look great. seeing that I wear them every day I'm going to get another pair soon - from aerotech .
Old 06-05-08, 07:05 PM
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
Aerotech has my business forever. I have one pair of their pro shorts, and it's the only pair of cycling shorts I've had for the past two years! they have countless rides and thousands of miles on them, and they still feel excellent and look great. seeing that I wear them every day I'm going to get another pair soon - from aerotech .
+1 - and they're made here in the USA, in Coraopolis, PA. Libby and I visited the shop before we made our first bike tour together. Nice folks.

Judy
Old 06-05-08, 08:16 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of baggies that I bought when I was first starting, because I couldn't get past the tight lycra thing either. I've done around 1000 miles in them and like them a lot. Mine has done front pockets and a pocket on the thigh that is zippered. Comes in real handy when I need to a carry keys or money. They are pretty comfortable ,but sometimes it takes some adjusting to get them to fit right while riding. They are basically tights with baggy shorts connected and sometimes the "diaper" chamois needs some adjusting.

I'm fixing to get me a pair of regular lycra because I think its time to make the plunge.
Old 06-05-08, 08:22 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Once you to to bibs you'll never go back. You can always wear shorts over them if you're modest or going places where tight shorts may not be appropriate. Shorts with a gusseted crotch work best...no seams in places that 'taint' right.

The thing about MTB shorts is that usually either the liner is attached, or even if it is removable, it's really not for wear by itself. At least with bibs (or shorts) you have the option of wearing them solo, if you are going for that roadie look (or get tired of baggy shorts catching on your saddle).
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-05-08, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I wear shorts I have 2 pairs of under armor ones that weigh basically nothing and barely have seams. I normally don't buy into the underarmor stuff, but these are pretty perfect.

No bunching, the only problem i have ever had is when starting from a standing position the over shorts can get caught on the nose of the seat.
Old 06-05-08, 08:48 PM
Vorsprung durch Technik

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Crossroads, 1985 Raleigh Sportif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a year old pair of Aerotech that work fine after over a thousand miles. I just got a second pair in the mail yesterday so I can rotate and not have to wash everyday. They are very comfortable.
Old 06-05-08, 09:26 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bibs!
Old 06-05-08, 11:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the help everyone. lots of good feedback. still a bit of deciding to do. its easy to see that when it comes to cycling and equipment its different strokes for different folks. I'll have to think it over.
Old 06-05-08, 11:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a long torso dude, tried a few different bibs, Ew I hate 'em. Feels like a perma-wedgie!
Old 07-08-08, 09:25 PM
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, so here's a dumb question, maybe, sizing wise-do you wear MTB shorts (Like Aerotech's baggy touring shorts-look AWESOME) at your 'naval' waist, or your 'oh my god there it's hanging over' waist? It makes a difference on the size ordered by about 5-6 inches-im more spare tire than anything. Im a 46 waist and a 52 traditional (naval) waist. Any takers?

Quick note as well-Aerotechs site arranges things in the same category (default) from lowest to highest price-is that neat or what?
Old 07-08-08, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by graphix
I want to get a pair of bike shorts but im not sure im ready to go with straight lycra shorts. Can i get regular tight lycra shorts and wear a pair of gym shorts over them?

If i can... how are the Aerotech Classic shorts? Are they ok or is it worth stepping up to the pro shorts?

If i cant... aerotech has 3 different baggy shorts, any recommendations out of those three?

thanks
Brendan
I always wear the bike shorts when riding, wearing other shorts over top depends, if your going somewhere that people may not appreciate Lycra, or you feel you may need pockets when you get where your going, then wear other shorts over top. If it's because you don't feel other people would not appreciate seeing a larger person in Lycra, that's their problem, not yours.....
Old 07-08-08, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got the Aerotech shorts about 3 weeks ago...3 rides with gym shorts and i had the courage to try them without. Haven't gone back since. now...how important is chamios cream? will it make a big difference?
Old 07-08-08, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gels, smells and hell

Originally Posted by graphix

thanks
Brendan
I have been using Walmart wicking compression shorts with my Rivendell MUSA baggies (no goofy padding) and they are the most comfortable combo so far, plus I get pockets and I can wear them anywhere regular shorts are appropriate. I'm planning on some merino wool undies soon however. I do not like any shorts with a pad, especially, thick gel pads. These tend to bunch up on me and cause pinching of the nether region. I do ride a Brooks saddle so I get good ventilation and comfort, so no pad necessary.
Old 07-08-08, 10:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I'm a long torso dude, tried a few different bibs, Ew I hate 'em. Feels like a perma-wedgie!
That's because you're not a small... you need an XXXL

When I tried the Sugoi bib I first tried on a Large, however it felt just like you described (a permawedgie with bands that cut the blood flow to my feet). I tried an XL and it felt MUCH better.
Old 07-09-08, 12:03 AM

Bikes: 70ish Motobecane Nomad Fixie, 2004 Jamis Aurora, 90ish Burley Samba Mixter, 92 Trek Antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you go bibs-you never go back!

I have the traditional beer belly flop and tried Bibs- no waist bunching, no worries about shorts sliding down and *ahem* exposing anything. Bathroom breaks take some planning. I have a cheap Nashbar bib and 1 from Areotech I wear and wash in rotation, Areotech is better, but both are hugely better than lycra shorts or the baggy shorts. Pockets....I keep a pair shorts in the car for polite (non-biking) society events.https://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/redface.gif
Old 07-09-08, 08:41 AM
RetroGrouchWrench

Bikes: Schwinn's: World Voyager, Tempo, 754, 594, 2 Travelers, Mesa Runner, and a few cheepies.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 300+ and just 5 10 I already look goofy on my bike, wearin MTB shorts won't help and all the bunching underneath is a pain, plus more of my thigh is exposed to sunburn. Just this week I sprung for a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts, way better than the old stuff I a,,,,, out grew? Bibs are in my future but I want to know where my size will stabelize now that I'm on the bike again.
Old 07-09-08, 09:20 AM
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Cannondale shorts that have been rolling down on me which is making me want to try bibs. I have a Performance century short that don't roll down on me. Thank goodness my jersies are long enough I don't have to worry about exposure. Baggy shorts on an MTB ride can get hung up on trees, bushes, pickers, etc. I go full lycra unless it's just a short bike path ride for the family. If i am at work I wear a pair of gym shorts over top until I get out the door to ride.

One question I have is do you all go commando or not? Being unexperienced when I switched to lycra I did not go commando, but after reading up on it, tried it and am much more comfortable in the biking shorts and on long 60+ mile rides. I have seen arguements on both side and was just curious.
Old 07-09-08, 10:11 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Commando, all the way. Underwear just interferes with the wicking of the chalois and creates hot spots on your bum.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-09-08, 10:32 AM

Bikes: See Signature...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike shorts are meant to be worn commando...thats why bike shorts are relatively seamless, or flat-seamed! Im gonna look into buying a pair from aerotech for both me and my girlfriend I have cheapy "quest" brand shorts from dicks that surely help, but are cheap...

skipped riding today, still humid + was feeling like id pass out if i tried to ride. tired i think. Tomorrow calls for cooler, sunnier weather anyways! Gotta get motivation (and sleep schedule) working better. not getting home till midnight isnt helping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.