Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK, picture lovers, here you go

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a red letter day of sorts for me.
It wasn't so much that I did 27 miles today and 2400 feet of climbing.
So what? 27 miles is just not that big a deal for me at this stage of the game.
It was the miles they were and how I handled them.
I had planned this ride for a while... A ride over the Guadalupe Canyon Parkway to the bayside of San Francisco (east), over to Geneva Ave and then across the city all the way to the ocean side (west) and then on home. I've traveled many of these roads before, some many times.
So, first I've got to take the second hardest climb out of town.
This just never gets easier -not much anyway- but I just take my time, stop when I need to stop (and that is now 2 or 3 times fewer than before) and eventually I get to the top.
Here's the first really steep section of note and even getting this far is no real joy.
The section after this is even longer and even worse.
But I say I like the pain, right?

Part of the reason, I guess, is a view like this -Mt Tamalpais, in this case- at the top of every climb.

After a nice long downhill run I reach Guadalupe Canyon Parkway. I've been here once before.
The worst of this is a 1.5 mile climb up to 700+ feet.

It hit me halfway up that the last I did this with a 39/27. Today, it was a 39/24.
No wonder it seemed harder this time up.

But, again, at the top, along with the satisfaction of making it is this view: Mt. Diablo.
Someday, Maybe I'll ride up that, who knows?

And then down, down, down hitting a top speed of 39.5 mph and over to Geneva.
Not terribly steep but into a stiff west wind almost the whole way.
This is the Cow Palace (duh). A huge pit of a barn. It hosts every event imaginable. The rodeo, indoor short track, dog shows, Jehovah's Witnesses conventions. Even concerts. The Beatles played here. I missed that one but I did see Wings. They want to tear this down. That would be a shame but it's old.

Before this, I passed by the Statue Factory.
Every lawn jockey, gnome, angel, unicorn, you-name-it, that you can think of, they sell.
Should have gotten a picture but the light turned green so off I went.

Finally I make it across town and take a ride around Lake Merced and the Harding/Fleming Golf Course.
A US Open was played here not too long ago.

The lake used to be an urban jewel but it's dying. There are plans to save it. I hope they do.
There's a nice -and well used- 5 mile MUP around Lake Merced. Mrs S and I have ridden it many times.

Sutro Tower. A TV and Radio broadcast tower. Most of it is just support, the antennae themselves sit on the very top. Its real claim to fame is that the tower is taller than the mountain it sits on. I hate it. Always have.
Old 06-08-08, 02:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now comes the good part as I head up Skyline to get home.
It passes Fort Funston which I wrote about a week or two ago.
This is 3.5 miles mostly uphill.
I don't know why but I've always stopped 2 or 3 times on this stretch but today I decided to just go for it without stopping. No problem It's the longest uphill stretch I've done to date without a stop.
I passed someone along the way who gave up and was walking her bike up. Man, that felt good.

There are some pretty steep sections along the way, it looks like.

A view from along the way and the road stretching out ahead.

This is San Bruno Mountain. Elevation, 1000' More radio/TV towers. Lots of 'em at the top of the aptly named Radio Road. Guadalupe Canyon Parkway is just on the other side, 300 feet down
The last time out, I tried climbing Radio Road. With a 39/30. The weather was miserable, there was no visibility, the climb was too hard for me (especially with no payoff) and I gave up at around 900'
I'll bet there was a great view today. I didn't even bother to try. No shame. Another day, maybe.

And lastly, this. The drop down Highway 1 from 660' to sea level. I have seen this view, coming home, just about every day since I got my learner's permit at 15 1/2. I never tire of the view. I guess I didn't see the sign I just passed that says "No bicycles" I consider this ride down to be my reward for a hard day on the road.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 06-08-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 04:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. Looks like a great ride. I've been avoiding hills lately.....you
are now on my hero list.
Thanks for sharing the report and the pics.
Old 06-08-08, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gosh, I've never been called a hero before.
Not sure that I deserve it, really, but thanks!
Old 06-08-08, 03:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Wow. Looks like a great ride. I've been avoiding hills lately.....you
are now on my hero list.
Thanks for sharing the report and the pics.
SKT will tell you- If you don't attempt hills- You will not get to know them. He lives in an area where he has to do hills.- But with the practice he is getting- they are turning into slopes. When they get to pimples- he will have me beat.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-08-08, 06:45 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
A photo from the first checkpoint on Rde Around the Bear (101 miles, 9000 feet of climbing) presented by the Orange County Wheelmen.

Old 06-08-08, 08:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful shot... again my efforts have been put into context
Old 06-08-08, 08:44 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Beautiful shot... again my efforts have been put into context
No, really, your photos are lots better than mine! Here's one facing 180 degrees from that prev. shot. I call this one "Checkpoint workers in action!" Note the bright orange wigs! Certainly not a ride for serious cyclists.

Old 06-08-08, 09:47 PM

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great long ride SKT. Your pictures leave me impressed at the route you took (hard, long, busy) and a little bit homesick! When I visit SF now I usually stay at a friend's place on 44th and Vicente. Next time we go I'm bringing the new bike, and maybe we can ride around Great Highway, Park Merced, and to Pacifica. You've inspired me. Thanks!
Old 06-08-08, 11:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
No, really, your photos are lots better than mine! Here's one facing 180 degrees from that prev. shot. I call this one "Checkpoint workers in action!" Note the bright orange wigs! Certainly not a ride for serious cyclists.
Nah, it's not about the photo; it's more that it's hard to stay excited about my 2400' in 27 miles when I read about your 9000' in 100 miles. As I've said before, I'm still taking baby steps. And, who knows, this might the best I'll ever be able to do. It just puts what I'm accomplishing into perspective. But it's not like I'm going to stop trying or anything like that.

Originally Posted by Rober
Great long ride SKT. Your pictures leave me impressed at the route you took (hard, long, busy) and a little bit homesick! When I visit SF now I usually stay at a friend's place on 44th and Vicente. Next time we go I'm bringing the new bike, and maybe we can ride around Great Highway, Park Merced, and to Pacifica. You've inspired me. Thanks!
Wow, an ol' hometown boy (or at least a old local)? Glad to hear from you. let me know when you're coming out next time and, sure, we can take a spin together... maybe head over to Sausalito or anywhere, really. That would be great.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 06-08-08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 11:34 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Your pictures and posts inspire me to get cgallagh to take the tandem down your way. We've never ridden there before, and your pics are compelling.

No matter if you take on more hills or longer rides, your progress is terrific, and I'm inspired by you. I appreciate your efforts, your posts, and your pictures. Thank you for being such a terrific role model for the 50+ crowd.
Old 06-09-08, 09:26 PM

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, an ol' hometown boy (or at least a old local)? Glad to hear from you. let me know when you're coming out next time and, sure, we can take a spin together... maybe head over to Sausalito or anywhere, really. That would be great.[/QUOTE]

That's a very kind invitation. I will certainly let you know if I head out that way. Meanwhile, enjoy your fantastic environment. What a place for endless riding!

I never really considered riding "across" town - from the coast over to Visitation Valley and back up through South City/Colma/SB. Maybe i've just followed the terrain, but that way you get some pretty good hill workouts. I keep thinking of that cool fog to ride in... Thanks again for sharing your pics and your ride with all of us.

Last edited by Rober; 06-09-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 04:29 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Nah, it's not about the photo; it's more that it's hard to stay excited about my 2400' in 27 miles when I read about your 9000' in 100 miles. As I've said before, I'm still taking baby steps. And, who knows, this might the best I'll ever be able to do. It just puts what I'm accomplishing into perspective. But it's not like I'm going to stop trying or anything like that.
don't sell yourself short on 2400' in 27 miles. you're improving and doing great

HOWEVER, if your wife starts dropping you on these climbs.......................