Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Sierra Century Report (1/2 of it that is)

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 06-09-08, 12:34 AM

Bikes: Hyphy-Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whee! Where to begin?

Should it be the first omen of the day? ? ? Yeah! My wife sits up in bed as I'm leaving at 4am to say "be careful. I had a bad dream about you." Ok! Thanks for sharing... I'm now thinking YIKES! I'm jinxed.

The ride started at 7am for us. A little chilly but cozy when in the sunshine. Once leaving Ironstone Vineyards and the quaint little town of Murphys the ride truly began... BRUTAL! Extremely rough roads and steep inclines, followed by steep descents on rough roads. Basically a lot of climbing with little reward because of the caution needed on the downhills due to the extremely rough roads.

So we ride up and up and up until we get to the top of Sheeps Ranch Rd. Course Marshal (Doug from the Davis Double so I say hello) is on top directing us down the hill saying "steep descent with sharp turns"... Ok. Right on! So I take the lead and take advantage of the sometimes smooth road, racing along at 30-35mph and using a lot of brakes doing so. I meander down the curves and build my early morning confidence only to hit a completely unexpected ungodly sharp turn.

Here's where it gets good...

I have no time to think. I either hold my line and go off the cliff or hit the brakes harder. I choose the latter and the little bit of morning dew remaining on the road mixed with heavier braking instantly throws me down onto the ground at about 30mph. I mean so fast, I don't have any time to say "HOLY!". I didn't have time to tense up so I just let momentum take its course and went ragdoll... I slid and rolled for a good 20 feet before stopping. Instant adrenaline so I jumped up, picked up my bike and darted down the curve and off of the road for fear of being run over by my buddy or someone else. I looked down and immediately noticed I had blood running out of my right elbow. Wiped in on my jersey to find what appeared to be a puncture wound a little bit bigger than the width of a pencil and two quarter-sized round abrasions around it.

Examining the damage furter... the right side of my shorts were torn wide open and I had road rash the size of my open hand on my thigh. I finally realize after 30 second that I'm hurt, and the funny thing, I didn't feel any pain. My buddy Alex pulls up thinking I was just waiting for him, then he sees the blood running down my arm. I check out the bike and it's fine since it got a free ride on top of me . (The right lever, bar tape, and rear derail are scraped, but it's a used bike ). We talked for a minute about how lucky I am and I said "lets go on" because we're not even 8 miles into this Century GODDAMNIT!!!

We hit the first rest stop and I got some first aid. Gauzed my ghastly looking elbow real good and duct taped my open shorts back together. My hip was in need of some gauze and tape rather than duct tape so I would ask at the next stop. My friend had mentioned "seeing my crack" earlier but the hole wasn't that big so I thought he was just joking around. I was reluctantly allowed to proceed by the staff and we decided to go on since I wasn't "hurt" hurt.

We go on and MAN! The roads were just horrible. Constant ups and downs and STEEP! I was riding really strong even after all that mayhem, but it just wasn't FUN! The descents were always super sketchy and rough so you didn't get any rewards and there were never ANY flat sections. We found our way to the Mountain Ranch stop with first aid staffed by Dr. Stan Leff. What a nice guy! He examined me and I found out what my buddy was talking about. When I hit the ground I also got road rash on both butt cheeks, both calves, my right wrist and the right side of my chest, so my shorts didn't just have that one hole... NO! They looked like something out of a Twisted Sister video... RAGGEDY! Emphasizing the gigantic rip straight down the middle!!! Oh Gawd! I was riding for 15 miles unknowingly exposing myself on the backroads of the Sierra Foothills>>> How embarrassing.

One of the volunteers (Wayne) left for a minute and found some soccer shorts in his trunk. Man! What a generous man! He said "keep em". So I rode the rest of the ride looking like a biking Beckham. This stop didn't have any tape either but someone went out to go buy some so I hung around at the Mountain Ranch stop long enough to come to my senses and not want to finish a full century. Dr. Leff agreed that was a good plan. This was the stop to decide if you wanted to make it a 1/2 century, so the choice was made. Tape came after getting relaxed and fed. I got an A+ patch job and we were on our way to 25 more miles of this wicked treachery. My buddy Alex was happy about me choosing only doing the half since he hadn't been on the bike since March and his coaching schedule only allowed him to run a couple of times since then so he was hating life at that point anyways so it all worked out ok.

Made it to the Angels Camp stop and had a leisurely 7 miles on the FINALLY nicely paved Murphys Grade Road back to Ironstone. Got out of my destroyed cycling attire and took my time eating the catered lunch and chatting with folks.

One lady remembered me because of the torn shorts. She said she initially thought they were some type of designer shorts until she noticed the duct tape covering the huge road rash..

Trudged back home and called it a day by Barbecuing and drinking a couple of well-deserved brewskis. My new favorite invention is NewSkin. I say this because up until yesterday the worst fall I've had on a road bike was a 0mph clipless tumble so I've never had to use it. It is doing wonders for my elbow. Man! What an inauguration this was. I took pictures but I don't want to post my butt on the Internet with rubbed off skin the size of a ribeye steak. Yuck! The bruising is really bad today and I'm really stiff and sore finally. I was worried because the pain took so long to arrive. Today has been FUN!

This ride is not going to be in Murphys next year. There were maybe 500 riders when they had space for 1500 or so. Awesome support, awesome food and supplies (other than no tape???), a lot of friendly riders too. This Century will be on my must-do list next year. This venue would be better suited for Mountain bikes however. Too bad. The Wheelmen lost big $$$ on it this year and it's too bad because everything was great other than the course.

This diatribe is forum filler in Pete's absence... Hurry back! You tell better stories. You also publish your pictures...

Last edited by redspoke; 06-09-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 12:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh! What the hell? Let's make this interesting. Resized to dinky though...

I knew I should have shaved. Seriously kicking myself for not doing so.

Last edited by redspoke; 06-09-08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 05:34 AM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch! Did you tell your wife that she totally jinxed you or that she has ESP?

I've always wondered how Murphy's Grade Rd would be to ride but the other roads sounds terrible.
Old 06-09-08, 08:24 AM
Come on, it'll be fun

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good report. Too bad about the fall. I knew something was up when there wasn't a ride report the day after. Talk about HTFU, you walk the walk!!

I'm so glad your ok. After being up and down Sheep Ranch so many times, I know what it's like. And it's not fun descending w/ a lot of other riders. It's good to read that the Wheelmen are going to change the route next year. Their support is awesome and they deserve success.

There are a lot of roads other than Sheep Ranch. I too will prolly do this ride next year.

BR
Old 06-09-08, 08:32 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
OMG
What a stud for carrying on. Your cheeks are my new heros.
Old 06-09-08, 08:53 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch! Thats some nasty road rash you have there. You did well to carry on after that and I bet that smarted a bit when you took a shower afterwards.
Old 06-09-08, 09:53 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ouch ... did we really have to see that? It sucks that you had a fall. Hope your wife didn't nag you too much afterwards .... "told ya so"

My Cycling Blog
Old 06-09-08, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
Ouch ... did we really have to see that?
No. Sorry about that. Edited per your request.

As for the wife. She is very supportive of my choices in life... Bless her.

She helped me remove and redress my wounds and even put my incredibly stiff right leg into underwear and pants this morning. As she was doing this I said "here's a glimpse of our life in 50 years". She replied "let's hope not". And I replied with a wish to pass on like these guys...

https://www.sacbee.com/101/story/997501.html

She said aww! and had a frown... I said I was just kidding.
This story about made me when I read it yesterday... Very sad!
Remaining positive, it reminds me that life has risks, but can be enjoyed from beginning to end if you let it.
Old 06-09-08, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wuoh. That's serious testicular fortitude to continue to ride with all that blood, rash, and what-not. I think I'd have ridden that 8 miles in reverse direction back to the start and just call it quits. Whew. Rest up live to ride another time.
Old 06-09-08, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. I nearly went down myself. I flatted on the front tire going through a gravely corner on the first or second descent. Luckily I kept it up right and was able to bring it to a stop. A SAG person was already helping someone who had flatted in the same spot. So when he fixed her up he helped me out. I had a spare tube but some how it also had a hole in it, so the SAG person gave me one of his spare tubes. Just as I was rolling out some one else had flatted too. So whatever road that was it had claimed a few tubes to appease the cycling gods. The rest of the ride was good though with no flats but bumpy as hell. But overall I really enjoy this ride, however I am not too fond of the after ride meal.
Old 06-09-08, 05:31 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Glad you're okay and healing. I think I'd have turned back after that crash too, so you're definitely HTFU.

Your description of the roads makes me happy we passed on this century. Maybe next year.

Get better soon!
Old 06-09-08, 06:00 PM
Climbing is fun!

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, 1985 custom SLX w/c-record (under construction)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll echo the glad I passed sentiment. Man, that just doesn't sound fun. Part of what I love about road cycling is the zen state you get into. And I just can't get there on a super rough road, ruins it for me. Heal well!
Old 06-10-08, 02:00 PM
okay, maybe...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Holy Cow! I am so glad you are okay! I live up here and did the 50 miler last year and opted out this year for all of the reasons you stated (roads, bad roads, and worse roads). Its a beautiful ride but like you said there is NO relief (something actually came loose inside my handlebars last year!).

There is a road from Tuolumne that goes up to Cherry Lake that I was thinking of organizing a BF ride to later in the fall... the scenery is beautiful and the roads are pristine...

Again, very glad you are okay
Old 06-10-08, 03:34 PM
Come on, it'll be fun

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tprevost
There is a road from Tuolumne that goes up to Cherry Lake that I was thinking of organizing a BF ride to later in the fall... the scenery is beautiful and the roads are pristine...
That sounds like an awesome ride. Count me in.

Speaking of Cherry Lake, I've always wanted to ride from Hwy120 over to Hetch Hetchy via Cherry Lake Rd -> Mather Rd. Ever done this?

BR
Old 06-10-08, 04:19 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tprevost
Holy Cow! I am so glad you are okay! I live up here and did the 50 miler last year and opted out this year for all of the reasons you stated (roads, bad roads, and worse roads). Its a beautiful ride but like you said there is NO relief (something actually came loose inside my handlebars last year!).

Again, very glad you are okay
Do it! Then we can rent a cabin from you too.
Old 06-10-08, 09:27 PM
okay, maybe...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BenRidin
That sounds like an awesome ride. Count me in.

Speaking of Cherry Lake, I've always wanted to ride from Hwy120 over to Hetch Hetchy via Cherry Lake Rd -> Mather Rd. Ever done this?

BR
I routed out a loop starting from tuolumne and going over to 120 via Cherry Lake Rd/Groveland etc. but it turned out 110+ miles and 16K of climbing with some of the roads being pretty narrow near Groveland/Yosemite.... I'll see if I can find it...