Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb pannier - inside pocket poorly designed

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been commuting with the back rollers for 6 months now. Today when cleaning the bag, I noticed that several holes had worn through the inside pocket where the pocket contacts the plastic covered screws. The bag is hanging and probably rubs against these bumps when riding. It only takes a little weight in the pocket to do this.

Ortlieb should at least cover these bumps to prevent this kind of wear. Otherwise, the rest of the bag is an A+.
Old 06-09-08, 10:36 PM
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like the design of those pockets. They may provide you a new pocket if you contact them. They're probably replaceable.
Old 06-10-08, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowranger
I've been commuting with the back rollers for 6 months now. Today when cleaning the bag, I noticed that several holes had worn through the inside pocket where the pocket contacts the plastic covered screws. The bag is hanging and probably rubs against these bumps when riding. It only takes a little weight in the pocket to do this.

Ortlieb should at least cover these bumps to prevent this kind of wear. Otherwise, the rest of the bag is an A+.
Instead of coming here and complaining, did you contact Ortlieb and give them a chance to remedy the situation? Things tend to break down, no matter how good the design is. IMO, the real question is how does the manufacturer resolve you quality issue? It is my understanding (from reading here on BF, not from personal experience) that Ortlieb's customer service is pretty good.

Disclosure: I own 6 Ortlieb bags/panniers

Duppie
Old 06-10-08, 05:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duppie
Instead of coming here and complaining, did you contact Ortlieb and give them a chance to remedy the situation? Things tend to break down, no matter how good the design is. IMO, the real question is how does the manufacturer resolve you quality issue? It is my understanding (from reading here on BF, not from personal experience) that Ortlieb's customer service is pretty good.

Disclosure: I own 6 Ortlieb bags/panniers

Duppie
Umm.. Is this something I am supposed to keep secret? I did write that the rest of the bag is A+.

And yes, I contacted them. They will stand behind their product, but I do think the design of the pocket is not good.