Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Problem with cycling shorts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a problem with cycling shorts not lasting. I'm not hard on them, I just ride in them. I have a pair of Garneau's, the seam down the pad inside started to rip (doesn't feel too good on the man berries), and they're wearing thin in the back part where I don't sit. I have a pair of Italia national shorts made by Castelli, and one of the seams in the back tore on those after about 5 months of riding. I expect a lasting product when I pay $45-$80 for something. I'm an average sized guy, and I wear shorts that fit me properly. Does anyone else have this problem, or could you direct me towards shorts that are known for their durability?
Old 12-27-03, 06:29 PM
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you following the care instructions when you wash & dry your shorts? How often do you use/wash each one in a week?
Old 12-28-03, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re

I wash them on the gentle cycle, and let them air dry, I don't like to put my clothes in a dryer. I used these two pairs of shorts for all my rides for the past year +, riding most days and quite a few long rides. But I still expect them to hold together, because all I'm doing is riding in them. But if the life expectancy of a bike short is only a year, I think the money one has to shell out for a "good" pair is a little steep.
Old 12-28-03, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I get way more than one year even from cheap lycra shorts. I never machine wash them, always wash by hand with mild soap.

I really believe machines are rough on bike shorts.
Old 12-28-03, 10:53 PM
Bike Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear Pearl Izumi bibs. Machine wash them in cold on gentle cycle and lay them flat to dry. I have one pair that is almost five years old. The pad and leg grippers are shot but the seams are fine. I have three pairs so they get washed about every other week.

-s
Old 12-29-03, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40-80 is on the cheaper side of shorts.80 bucks is about where they start to upgrade
Old 12-29-03, 09:02 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i buy Pearl Izumi attack shorts, i have 2 pairs i wash and use on a almost daily basis all year long. I dry them and wash them on the gentle cycle. I also make sure not to throw anything sharp in the wash with them like velcro.
Old 12-29-03, 08:59 PM
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 4 shorts.. I try to ride everyday.. The only damage to the shorts are the prints which starts to peels off after 5-6 months..

Other than that, the shorts are as good as when I bought them.

I machine wash my shorts and hang dry...