Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

6 foot 4...a problem?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

6 foot 4...a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 foot 4...a problem?

Last edited by blackcattips; 07-07-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 10:32 AM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The suitability of a D7 likely depends on your inseam.

I am 6'3" (closer to 6'4" when I was younger) and have a 36" inseam (bike measurement-wise) and very long arms (6'6" arm span).

We had D7's for a couple of years - the reach was pretty good, and the seat height was "close" with a ThudBuster seat post (at MAX height), but it was not as good a fit as my custom-built Bike Friday NWT. I still have, and ride regularly, my Boardwalk S1 - it also has "adequate" seat height with that aforementioned ThudBuster installed but the reach is two inches shorter than the NWT and I use it's vertically adjustable handlebars and shorty bar ends to make it comfortable.

My suggestion: Find a D7 and give it a try - maybe there is a camping world near you? They usually have Dahons on the floor they will let you test out in their parking lot. Maybe even a Dahon dealer nearby?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1453_edited (Medium).JPG (87.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-11-08, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you have unusually short legs for 6'4" you will probably need some sort of extension seat post. Dahon has a couple of options.

Being a statistical outlier, you may find that the one size fits all sizing of many folders will result in a compromised fit. Bike Friday will make a bike to fit you. Their 16 inch wheeled folder, the Tikit, comes in three stock frame sizes which helps a lot. The Xootr Swift uses a single frame, but offers sizes by changing seatpost and stem length.

A tall person looking for a folder can find it a bit challenging, but it's not impossible to find something that will work for you.

Speedo (6'3")
Old 06-11-08, 10:54 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 6ft and find the Dahon Speed D7 to be too cramped in the cockpit to be considered a good fit. It works for short rides, but it isn't ideal. The Speed TR has a bigger cockpit and like the fit of that bike much better - unfortunately it is quite a bit more expensive.

I also ride a large Tikit which fits well and accepts standard MTB stems so you can fine tune the fit.
Old 06-11-08, 11:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34"

Old 06-11-08, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
...... so you can fine tune the fit.
Have to echo what Vik has said - I have fine tuned my Friday recently due to some shoulder problems. Because it uses standard parts and is adjustable like a regular bike, I was able to shorten the width of the handle bars an 1", install a 3/4" shorter stem and raise the handle bars a bit to dial in a more comfortable riding position.

Not possible on all folding bikes.
Old 06-11-08, 11:43 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blackcattips
My inseam is 34. I might just have to for a test drive. A lot of people mention the Tikit. Maybe I should look into that option.
My pants inseam is a 33" and I ride a large Tikit with the seat post quite low in the adjustment range.
Old 06-11-08, 01:20 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does anyone know if being this height will hinder my riding experience?
Only if there is a bridge with 6' 2" of clearance ...

But as you can see, you do have excellent folding bike options. I suppose that you could even go for the Brompton with a telescoping seat post. I think that the Birdy might be acceptable for you too.
Old 06-11-08, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 06-11-08, 02:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by blackcattips; 07-07-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 02:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike is this in your attachment?
The Red bike (shown) is my Dahon S1 (single-speed). I've had it for about 2 years - just returned from another trip to the store on it to get some fixin's for lunch.

(FYI: Those are 1.75" slicks on the stock rims.)

The GREEN bike below is my Bike Friday NWT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1501 (Small).JPG (85.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-11-08, 04:20 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Vik- What model Tikit do you ride? I read your blog..very informative.

Thanks! I ride a Hyper-fold Tikit ~2007 model. Basically stock 8 speed - nothing fancy. Surprisingly it's one of my least modified bikes and the one I grab the most as I am heading out the door. If I don't take it one of my friends will usually jump on it.
Old 06-19-08, 09:21 PM
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Swift from Xootr, and it works great for my 6'5", 36"-inseam self. In fact, there's enough seatpost for someone with a few more inches of inseam.
Old 06-20-08, 04:55 AM
low and laid back

Bikes: recumbent trikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I am 6'5" and fit depends on where your height is. My inseam is 33" so I am all torso. Seat height on Dahons are fine for me. D7 cockpit was too cramped for me. Large frame Tikit with a longer stem would be a good fit. I eventually got a Dahon Speed P8 and fitted a 110mm ahead style stem by sawing off the handlepost clamp. Now the reach is right. Strangely, even though the P8 and D7 seem to share the same frame, Dahon lists the specs of the P8 as having more cockpit room - so that's why I went for that. It's a great all around folder.