Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tight Allen Bolts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tight Allen Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tight Allen Bolts

I am new here... as you can tell by the Newbie sign under my name but I have a quick question. I semi-searched for it but nothing I searched for evolved Tight Allen Bolts in the subject or post.

I just bought a new bike so I can install new parts myself on it and learn more about how to do it. But when coming to installing a new fork and bar, I figured out that my stem bolts won't budge. I applied a little bit of WD-40 on where the loctite (or glue) is to attempt to loosen but after a hour all I hear is a crack which I know meant that the glue just broke and then it wouldn't budge for it anymore. Every screw on the bike except the crank arms and compression bolt is on super tight and I have been trying the past 2 days to attempt for half and hour or so. What do you guys do when you come across this? Thanks.

Also, if this has been posted before, please tell me and post a link to it

Last edited by SpriteBMX; 06-13-08 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Since the bike is new, I'd doubt corrosion is an issue. Also, thread locking compounds (LocTite) are not typically used on bicycle components.

What kind of tool are you using? If you are using the wrenches on a folding "multi-tool" that fits in the palm of your hand then perhaps you don't have enough leverage to remove the fasteners. Personally, I use hex bit sockets that fit onto socket handles and have little trouble (if any) removing fasteners. Also. separate "L" shaped hex keys provide decent leverage too. Also, use good quality wrenches so you don't round out the fastener corners. Once you remove the fasteners, place a dab of grease (any kind of all purpose grease is fine) onto the threads, so removal will be easier next time.

If the fasteners were old and corroded, a penetrant like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster would help loosen that joint.
Old 06-13-08, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks man! I tried both of the regular allen wrenches and multi park-tool. I was looking around for the right size allen socket. Thanks for the post! Guess I got to go back to Home Depot to buy one if I can't find one. I knew that the stuff wasn't loctite since all loctite I have seen is blue and this was a clearish yellow.