Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike shorts underwear

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: none
hi
66.67%
hi
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

bike shorts underwear

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 01:16 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Been cruisin for a confrontration with the Nazi..Most of the year, I say commando is just fine......But at low 40's commando is commando. The bike pad just does not cut low 40's.
Nothing worse than shivering private parts. I have one pair of made for cycling nylon underwear, with a special liner, up front for cold temps...Wow, going down a hill at nearly 40 mph, at 40 degrees, the anatomy is shrinking, I meant shrieking. That thermal undershorts really made the downhill more comfortable..
Any Nazi's out there will just have to see the underwear line. Offend Nazi's or shrieking parts.. Nazi will just have to wait for spring thaw... Around here that will be in just a couple days... Hate to get home and wonder how a blow dryer would defrost your parts. Guess, awarm bath will do the job. It was really cold this moring.
Felt pretty good..The vinyl shoe covers.Winter gloves. A scarf, head scarf, winter undershorts, bike shorts, tights,my warmest jersey, thickest jacket.arm warmers..Today, it did not get above 50 until probably noon....I was ok...
Old 01-06-04, 12:31 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SinGate
Entertaining and informative as always!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Underware Nazi is worth the price of admission.

-For the record: Commando for three years and counting....
Thanks for the vote of confidence, soldier! Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by Bill
I appreciate the original question. I am one of those people who find it hard to go commando. I have tried and have ended up with pain. I tried to follow the advice of the Underwear Nazi--he' s so definitive, but I have gone back to speedos or thongs underneath. It's just much more comfortable. And frankly, I have ridden thousands of miles without problems. I don't get chafing, nor does the underwear contribute to perspiration problems. And my boys are much happier. And when the boys are happier, I'm happier, as is my wife.
I'm definitive because I'm right. As I recall, you tried commando and liked it. Your problem came not from riding, but from using a piece of gym equipment called a "transporter." Bike shorts are for bicycling. When worn for bicycling, bike shorts should not be worn with underwear.

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Been cruisin for a confrontration with the Nazi..Most of the year, I say commando is just fine......But at low 40's commando is commando. The bike pad just does not cut low 40's.
Nothing worse than shivering private parts. I have one pair of made for cycling nylon underwear, with a special liner, up front for cold temps...Wow, going down a hill at nearly 40 mph, at 40 degrees, the anatomy is shrinking, I meant shrieking. That thermal undershorts really made the downhill more comfortable..
Any Nazi's out there will just have to see the underwear line. Offend Nazi's or shrieking parts.. Nazi will just have to wait for spring thaw... Around here that will be in just a couple days... Hate to get home and wonder how a blow dryer would defrost your parts. Guess, awarm bath will do the job. It was really cold this moring.
Felt pretty good..The vinyl shoe covers.Winter gloves. A scarf, head scarf, winter undershorts, bike shorts, tights,my warmest jersey, thickest jacket.arm warmers..Today, it did not get above 50 until probably noon....I was ok...
Hmmm...a seasonal soldier in the anti-panty army?

Actually, cyclezealot, I think the coastal weather has spoiled you. Lower 40s is not truly cold. Ask SinGate. He comes from America's Dairyland (State motto: "Come smell our dairy air") where it gets truly cold, and he doesn't feel the need for underwear under his bike shorts. Toughen up! This Nazi has ridden in temperatures well below 0 farenheit. I just put on a pair of heavy tights over my shorts. If it's too cold for that, I add a pair of wind pants. I've even worn a pair of PolarTec fleece sweats between the tights and the wind pants for extra insulation. But never, never under any circumstances, for any reason, have I ever found it necessary to put a layer under my bike shorts.

Underwear Nazi
Nothing comes between me and my chamois

Visit the Underwear Nazi Store and the Share the Road Store. All proceeds benefit BikeForums.net
Old 01-06-04, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
I have one pair of made for cycling nylon underwear, with a special liner, up front for cold temps...
Isn't this the same as the undies with Chamois type liner, and
doesn't that count as the same as going commando with Bike shorts?
sounds too much like arguing semantics to me.

Always Commando Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-06-04, 03:06 PM
Victoria's secret

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCat
The human male's gift for descriptive allegory is astounding, isn't it?
Ain't THAT the truth?

Old 01-06-04, 05:40 PM

Yeah, Lotek..It is sort of like wearing a double paded pad... But the undershorts' pad is wind resistant, I guess...Does a great job of keeping out the cold. Heah, I would rather be hot down there, than frigid any day........Seems I got my undershorts' underdraws at Nashbar...... Sorry Nazi, to we warm landed panty wastes, 40 at 40 is darn cold...
Not to worry, such thermal needs for the down under areas, only is like 5 days a year...If one takes mid-day rides, unlikely for such a need even for those five days...... So the other 361 days - commando is the norm...
Besides Nazi, Wisconsin does not have any real hills for screeching down to up the wind chill.... Wind chill needs be crotch less.
Old 01-06-04, 05:52 PM
Project 1 , 8000 & T100

Bikes: Trek Project 1, Trek T100, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure I follow you, but the wind chill outside today is -20 degrees, and we do have hills lots of them.
Old 01-06-04, 06:13 PM

I do understand your point about -20 degrees.. But that is why some live in southern climes... I grew up in Michigan..But, then if I lived in such climes, the extent of my sports life would be the remote, hopefully a huge lotto winning, so I would not have to leave the house from Christmas to Easter, and a winter vacation to Tahiti.
Not to mitigate the beauty of Wisconsin, it is beautiful-just I choose to see it in June...January, we Wisconsin lotto winners living in the tundra, would be doing their cycling in New Zealand.....
I fear the cold temperature underdraws, wind pants, fleece, and everything else Nazi advocates would still only cause me to ride on the trainer. BUt, wow...I still commend your dedication to cycling and say Amen.. Ps do they make snow tires for bikes?
Singate.. I was talking about the relief of our nearby hills as opposed to say,My beautiful U.P. of northern Michigan..
Just a puny foothill,that the coastal 'flatlanders' wimp out on..Schearers' grade-only 10 miles from the Pacific-would put any hill in my old stomping grounds, the UP to shame..It is almost twice as high as anything in Michigan..Wipping down this grade- it is like 2 miles, at 9% grade and probably a drop of more than 1,300 ft... Mid west hills are just that...Hills...

Last edited by cyclezealot; 01-06-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, Mr Nazi, you thought my problem was the transporter. My problem was the shorts--tri shorts, that smashed "my bits." I went to the doctor to talk about the testicular pain. He asked me the first thing, knowing that I do a lot of sports, "Are you wearing a jockstrap?" I said, "sometimes." He asked ,"Why not always?" I told him about the no-underwear theory for bikeshorts. He wasn't convinced. He indicated that most tesiticular pain in athletes comes from lack of support. I've been supporting the boys ever since (at least with something, not a jockstrap, by the way), and they've been much more cooperative. And by the way (even though I don't wear a jock for riding), do you realize that jocktraps were created because of cyclists needs.
Old 01-12-04, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i guess if they are basketball size.Mine,normal so no jock,underware,just shorts even when it gets down to,yes mid 30's here in so cal.
Old 01-13-04, 01:03 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
No, Mr Nazi, you thought my problem was the transporter. My problem was the shorts--tri shorts, that smashed "my bits." I went to the doctor to talk about the testicular pain. He asked me the first thing, knowing that I do a lot of sports, "Are you wearing a jockstrap?" I said, "sometimes." He asked ,"Why not always?" I told him about the no-underwear theory for bikeshorts. He wasn't convinced. He indicated that most tesiticular pain in athletes comes from lack of support. I've been supporting the boys ever since (at least with something, not a jockstrap, by the way), and they've been much more cooperative. And by the way (even though I don't wear a jock for riding), do you realize that jocktraps were created because of cyclists needs.
Well, Bill, something is obviously wrong here. Maybe it's something wrong with your shorts. Maybe it's something wrong with your bits. Bicycle shorts are for bicycling. Properly fitting bicycle shorts provide plenty of support and do not require underwear.

You are right about one thing, however. The jockstrap was invented as a form of bicycle specific underwear. In fact, it was invented in 1874 by the Bike Athletic Company. Bike, now a subsidiary of Russell Athletic, is still a popular brand name.

Underwear Nazi
To be continued

Visit the Underwear Nazi Store and the Share the Road Store. All proceeds benefit BikeForums.net

Last edited by Underwear Nazi; 01-13-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 01:07 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
However, in 1874, bicycling was a very different sport Than it is today. Back then, a bicycle was a high-wheeled affair called a "Penny Farthing" or "Ordinary."

Proper cycling attire was a woolen suit with a short jacket, knickers and knee socks. The outfit was finished off with a cap, a long-sleeved shirt and a bow tie.

Last edited by Underwear Nazi; 01-13-04 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 01:09 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bicycle saddle in those benighted times was little more than a strap of leather hung between two springs. It was something of a cross between a horse saddle and a medieval instrument of torture.

Old 01-13-04, 01:11 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since lycra had not yet been invented, some form of support was needed. Typical men's underwear of the period was a long-handled one-piece cotton union suit.

Old 01-13-04, 01:13 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sportsmen sometimes adopted the shorter "Athletic Union Suit." Long or short, the union suit was not of much use to cyclists.

Old 01-13-04, 01:15 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The jockstrap, in its day, was a real step forward in comfort and support for bicyclists. However, its day passed long ago. Modern padded lycra bicycle shorts and advances in bicycle manufacture and design have made the athletic supporter obsolete for cycling.

Last edited by Underwear Nazi; 01-13-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 01:17 PM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, you may still wear a jockstrap under your bicycle kit, if you wish, Bill. However, to be proper about the entire thing, you should adopt the entire short woolen suit with bow tie.

Underwear Nazi
Knows his underwear

Old 01-13-04, 01:21 PM
Project 1 , 8000 & T100

Bikes: Trek Project 1, Trek T100, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok now you got me rolling...................thanks for the history and pics. Ummmmm...except for that second to last one which took me by surprise.
Old 01-13-04, 03:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do u collect pictures of men in underware?Phone number please.LOL
Old 01-15-04, 09:39 AM
Anti-Panty Commando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
Do u collect pictures of men in underware?Phone number please.LOL
Sorry, shokhead, but I don't have time for entangling relationships. There are too many asses to save.

Underwear Nazi
Appalled and flattered.

Old 01-15-04, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn.
Old 01-16-04, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Mr. Nazi. You sure know your underwear and your jock straps. What I know is that many bike shorts are not comfortable for my nuts. I always wish that someone would design a pair that has something like a pouch in them. I'd be the first to buy them. The chamois is not a pouch. It is not supportive to some of us. And obviously, you are not "some of us." Congratulations!
Old 01-16-04, 08:51 PM
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Bill] It is not supportive to some of us. [QUOTE]

Okay guys once and for all lets get it straight. It is a chamois's it is not designed to support or padding. So like they say in shop use the right tool (no pun intended ) for the right job. I have never had a jock strap that really supported anything. And my undies don't either. So wear your under wear just save yourself the extra expense and don't buy padded bike shorts.

Mind you this is just my $0.02 wort and does not reflect the opinions of bikeforums.net or any of their affiliates
Old 01-16-04, 10:10 PM

I have another reason to not wear underwear on my commute to work..I wash my cycling clothes for the return home.. My work partner is a woman.. Just feel sort of weird with my underwear hanging on the line for all to see.. Bike shorts are somewhat less personal... Not polite to tell someone either that you wear BVD's or boxers.. Certainly would be weird to have an atheltic supporter on the line.
oh yes..Once i did not change in time.. Got busy...Did not get my cycling clothes under my wind pants early enough..
The front desk office staff snickered and made smart a** remarks about my cycling clothes strewn about the front lobby restroom for all to see, when they came in in the morning..I get my cycling clothes on under my windpants no later than 4 am now. No matter what.
Old 06-09-08, 11:14 PM
xc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
g-strings

i think g-strings are the best to where under cycling shorts, i dont like goin camando. and g string dont effect any thing. so i think u should just wear the g stings
Old 06-09-08, 11:31 PM
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by locksta
i think g-strings are the best to where under cycling shorts, i dont like goin camando. and g string dont effect any thing. so i think u should just wear the g stings
You did realize this thread's been dead for over 4 years, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.