Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ordered a new bike today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ordered a new bike today

Old 06-16-08, 02:02 PM

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Ordered a new bike today

Hi folks , I'm a newbie around here . I signed up about a week ago and have been just reading. Seems like a nice place here . About three weeks ago I bought an old Schwinn Heavy Duty at a yard sale and started riding, Then I bought a used Raleigh road bike and was surprised how much easier and the Raleigh was , especially on hills. I'm up to about 6 miles a day after three weeks of riding . Well , I got to wanting a new bike and after checking them out on line I chose a Schwinn Voyageur 7. I went to a LBS to look at one and they had the Sierra 7 which is similiar and I took a test ride. Very smooth and easy to pedal . I wanted a no frills type of bike to ride in the neighborhood and I think I found it. I was told it should only take a week and I'll have it. kirby

Last edited by OldCruiser; 06-21-08 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-16-08, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
You've been riding three week and have three bikes? Not bad, my friend. The number of bikes you should have is always n+1, your off to a good start.
It's good you discovered the joy of riding, keep it up.
A better bike will always be better to ride, a bike that shifts well, and brakes well, and fits you correctly makes it more fun to ride, and if it's more fun to ride, you will ride it more than a bike that doesn't work well.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 06-16-08, 02:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
As the self-appointed hospitality committee let me say:

1) Welcome.
2) Agree with leob1 -- three bikes in three weeks is impressive.
3) Post pictures. Not a demand, but many of us have short attention spans and photos help the concentration.
4) When 3 doesn't seem like quite enough.
Old 06-16-08, 02:34 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
A good starting point to begin biking. You will find it more fun with the new bike as you can now get out to explore the world around you. It takes a bit of time to become "bike fit" but it is much more fun than most other forms of exercise.
Old 06-16-08, 03:34 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome. There's a thread here somewhere (I tried to find it but can't remember what it's called" that was done last summer with a zillion tips for new riders.

Does anyone know where that is?
Old 06-16-08, 04:56 PM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha !! Another one hooked !!!!
Old 06-16-08, 05:35 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard, you'll find the company around here is rather good for a bunch of old folk. Lp
Old 06-16-08, 06:08 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my LBS uses the Schwinn Voyageur & Sierra bikes in their summer rental fleet. They say that the bikes hold up well and almost everyone is pleased with them.

Hope you enjoy yours.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-16-08, 06:27 PM

Leo, actually I have 3 1/2 now , the new one will make 4 1/2 . The 1/2 is a parts bike I picked up for $3 at a yard sale . The LBS where I bought my Voyageur was using the Sierra's for rental bikes . He said they have held up well . I enjoy working on them sometimes as much as I do riding them , seeing if I can piece one back together . It's been fun , but I wanted one I didn't have to repair for awhile anyways. I started out for a ride this morning on the Raleigh and only got around the corner from the house and the left crankarm fell off. LOL . I'm glad it came off close to the house . The nut was missing that held it on, I may have bought it like that. I'll have to inspect the whole bike a little closer from now on. Pushed it back to the house and got a replacement nut off my parts bike, a perfect fit and was back on the rode in less than 15 minutes . I didn't even take my helmet off. And yes I did check the other side and tightened up that nut too. Thanks for the welcomes. I'll post a picture of the new one when I get it. here's some pictures of the ones in the stable now. kirby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Resize of bike.jpg (71.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-16-08, 06:34 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A MIXTE! They are so cool. I keep looking for the perfect mixte.
Old 06-16-08, 06:39 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+ on the mixte I just finished up a mixte for the wife

Last edited by stringbreaker; 06-16-08 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-16-08, 06:51 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome - at this rate you will have a fleet of bikes.
Old 06-16-08, 06:53 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by solveg
A MIXTE! They are so cool. I keep looking for the perfect mixte.
This one just popped up for sale in Madison today:
https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/721238687.html

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-16-08, 07:29 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My wife thinks this IS the perfect mixte. All I can say is its bright.
Old 06-16-08, 07:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I might be wrong about this, my memory isn't what it used to be, but didn't Lance win his final TDF on a Schwinn Heavy Duty? You're in good company, Kirby.
Old 06-17-08, 11:16 AM

I got the my new tires, tubes and brake pads for the Schwinn Cross-Cut yesterday and put them on this morning and took it out for a ride. Made it close to 9 miles today . I would have made 10 but I was unsure of how far I had ridden until I backtracked with my truck , checking the mileage . Those new Michelins , I put on, made a world of difference in the way this bike handles. Can't wait to get the new bike. kirby
Old 06-17-08, 12:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
This one just popped up for sale in Madison today:
https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/721238687.html
You can't see it now. It sold about an hour after it popped upon CL and the seller then removed the listing. It was an almost mint condition 25 yr old mixte, looked like it was new off of the showroom floor. They were only asking $140 for it.

Old 06-17-08, 12:35 PM

Mine was missing the seat and post , but I guess I got a bargain at $3 at a yard sale. LOL Seems to be a well made bike. kirby
Old 06-17-08, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to biking too-just bought my first bike ever. Think the last bike I rode was 40+ years ago and that was my brother's bike. Couldn't even test ride anything because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to ride it or would break it before I had a chance to buy it. I ended up reading and researching and decided on an Electra Townie for the "flat footed" technology. I bought one with all the commuter extras so I could use it to do the weekly grocery shopping and enjoy the bike trails in my area. Am loving it, but it's funny how I'm already researching my next purchase! Think I'll end up with 3 bikes in no time. People thought I was crazy to spend as much money on the one I got as it is and now I want another one or two or three!
Old 06-17-08, 02:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skennedy
I'm new to biking too-just bought my first bike ever. Think the last bike I rode was 40+ years ago and that was my brother's bike. Couldn't even test ride anything because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to ride it or would break it before I had a chance to buy it. I ended up reading and researching and decided on an Electra Townie for the "flat footed" technology. I bought one with all the commuter extras so I could use it to do the weekly grocery shopping and enjoy the bike trails in my area. Am loving it, but it's funny how I'm already researching my next purchase! Think I'll end up with 3 bikes in no time. People thought I was crazy to spend as much money on the one I got as it is and now I want another one or two or three!
Warning N+1 alert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rafters.jpg (45.4 KB, 16 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 06-17-08, 07:25 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Agree with stepfam's n+1 alert. Just moved some of my bikes from one house to another. Brought 4 to my year round home, had to leave two at the vacation place. No shed at either house!
Old 06-17-08, 08:45 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I need to distribute my bikes, too, but I can't bear to be so far away from any of them. Now that I've ridden in Kansas, the only appropriate bikes to leave are my Scott and my Atlantis--and they're my favorite bikes.
Old 06-17-08, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Welcome to the madness. With a 3 for 3 record you'll fit right in here.

I'm trying to live up to the N+1 credo as well. My sig line is shy by 2 at this point....
Old 06-20-08, 01:21 PM

I'm still waiting for my new bike to come in . Two days ago , I went over 10 miles for the first time on my Schwinn Crosscut ; then the next day I took a different route with hills , Only 5.2 miles total, but kicked my tail . I'm getting better each time out. My problem is I can't seem to go by a road bike at a yard sale without buying it. I found a Ross Eurosport today in pretty good condition . The lady said her husband bought it new 38 years ago . It has a speedometer and the odometer has 333 miles on it. I think it has the original tires on it. It's frame is the largest I've tried to ride so far.I almost tiptoe sitting on the seat with the seat's all the way down . I cleaned it up and took it for a couple mile spin . It rides nice. I can't believe I can find bargains like this....... only $15 . What a deal . A new set of rubber and this one will go another 333 miles or more . I may let a friend of mine have this one , so I can get him into riding . kirby
Old 06-20-08, 02:22 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
It has a speedometer and the odometer has 333 miles on it. A new set of rubber and this one will go another 333 miles or more .
That bike will go a lot further than 666 miles!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.