Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Denver area century

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm taking tomorrow off to ride and I'm thinking I might attempt to get in 100. I'm up to 75 without feeling dead at the end so why the heck not! It's worth a try.

So, do you have any favorite routes for 100 in the area. I'm looking at my maps, piecing something together but would love ideas.
Old 06-17-08, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't really have a favorite in the metro area. There are quite a few amusing options in the mountains.

However, since I live in Thornton I am partial to an extended version of my training route. It is easy to add miles to it and make it 100. Ex: ride to lookout or boulder on the west end of my loop.
One nice thing about living up north is the plentiful long roads with decent shoulders.

My silly named training ride:
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-training-ride

Highlights:
Cherryvale is a fun road to ride on. Very pretty.
McCaslin heading south out of Superior is known as the wall. It has a wonderfully steep hill on it. They used to ride it on the coors classic.
Old 06-17-08, 10:50 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Front Range Century that was put on by the Denver Bicycle Touring club when I lived there was good.
Old 06-18-08, 04:12 PM
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure if you want to climb. I documented a loop I like on my weblog here:https://herodot.us/2008/06/09/deer-cr...-cycling-loop/

If I ride this from my house near City Park, it is about 85 miles, going down the Platte River Trail. Not a century, but harder than any 100 on the plains. There is a way to extend it through Evergreen and Morrison and hit the C470 trail back to the Platte, but it is more like 115 miles then, I think.

If you want to stay on the plains, you can actually do long rides around Denver on the trail network.
Old 06-19-08, 08:27 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Well, North and South the full length of the Platte River Greenway Trail, including going full around Chatfield to the marina and returning should come in at 80+ miles. Head out Bear Creek or CCT or Clear Creek or whatever for the extra miles needed.

Only hill is going over the Chartfield Dam (or around it on the newer trail)

Lots of facilities along the way, interesting sights - sort of.
Old 06-19-08, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas! I ended up doing just over 70 miles - although I had to map it when I got home because my computer kept resetting itself I knew I hadn't reached 100...because my legs were still working just fine

I didn't plan well though...I went from my home in Park Hill to Cherry Creek, around and then to the C-470 Trail, over to Chatfield and up the dam, then up the Greenway/Platte to the Sandy Creek and home. The plan I'd hatched looked great but I forgot to check the trail surface detail and took the Highline Canal trail for miles and miles. I'd obviously never been on that trail before. Each time I got off, studying my map and thinking I had a good way out, I'd end up lost in the craziness of those neighborhoods. It was a smooth enough ride, just gritty.

I'm hoping that this weekend I can try again for 100. I was thinking about going to Golden from Chatfield and then back on the Clear Creek Trail. I like the southern route as a starting point - any suggestions for a good way to connect between C or E-470 trail and Cherry Creek?

Last edited by ummbnb; 06-19-08 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 10:19 AM
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should have warnings on the Highline Trail that parts are unpaved. A lot of people get on it on the paved parts and then end up as you did.
Old 06-19-08, 11:16 AM
Banned.

The C-470 trail crosses Jordan just before the trail intersects with the southern portion of the Cherry Creek Trail.

However, the South CCT, and the CC Reservoir loop trail (a portion of the CC Trail) do NOT connect.

You need to go north on Jordan Road, (you can sidewalk this, if you want, with no problem) cross Arapahoe Road, to Caley (about 5 miles), and turn right (there is a trail sign). Go one block, just past the houses, and the CC Trail starts anew on your left, going 2 miles to the reservoir loop. When you get to the bottom where it joins with the loop, go left on the cement trail or the road and continue west - they parallel each other. When you get to the entrance road, go left up the hill, take the trail to the right and at the top you will be at the Dam Road and Dayton.

Cross the Dam Road, and you will be entering a park - take the trail immediately to the right, go 2.3 miles, down in front of the dam, and just past the 2nd kiosk, you will intersect with the other side of the loop trail, and with the Cherry Creek Trail going northwest to Confluence Park. It really is quite easy. Just ask anyone.

Then head on into downtown.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-19-08 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A century on MUPs? Eek!
My bum gets sore just thinking about it.
Anyhow, good luck. I love seeing 100 on my computer's odometer.
Old 06-19-08, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The C-470 trail crosses Jordan just before the trail intersects with the southern portion of the Cherry Creek Trail.

However, the South CCT, and the CC Reservoir loop trail (a portion of the CC Trail) do NOT connect.

You need to go north on Jordan Road, (you can sidewalk this, if you want, with no problem) cross Arapahoe Road, to Caley (about 5 miles), and turn right (there is a trail sign). Go one block, just past the houses, and the CC Trail starts anew on your left, going 2 miles to the reservoir loop. When you get to the bottom where it joins with the loop, go left on the cement trail or the road and continue west - they parallel each other. When you get to the entrance road, go left up the hill, take the trail to the right and at the top you will be at the Dam Road and Dayton.

Cross the Dam Road, and you will be entering a park - take the trail immediately to the right, go 2.3 miles, down in front of the dam, and just past the 2nd kiosk, you will intersect with the other side of the loop trail, and with the Cherry Creek Trail going northwest to Confluence Park. It really is quite easy. Just ask anyone.

Then head on into downtown.
Cool, I'm going to try this over the weekend...hopefully I get it right in reverse
Old 06-19-08, 01:20 PM
Banned.

Coming south, you will hit the C470 trail, JUST AFTER you cross under E470 on your right. Go west, young man.
Old 06-19-08, 07:37 PM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dark13star
They should have warnings on the Highline Trail that parts are unpaved. A lot of people get on it on the paved parts and then end up as you did.
the 2008 edition of the " DBTC denver biking map" (offically called bicycling the greater denver map") avail in most bike shops is 4 color it shows unpaved vs paved BV was selling them for $3.99 most shops $5 or $6
Old 06-19-08, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Coming south, you will hit the C470 trail, JUST AFTER you cross under E470 on your right. Go west, young man.

Cool....oh, and it's woman
Old 06-20-08, 06:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mup monster

one of my favorite rides in the winter is starting in golden, red rocks, morrison, ken karyl, chatfield, 470 bike path, past dove valley, eventually finding cherry creek res, (I get lost back there all the time, it looks alot like kansas out there) cherry creek trail, north on the platte river trail, clear creek trail, golden. i can't remember if it's 85 or 90 miles. But it's a blast because of the limited traffic and almost all on bike paths. Usually I'm so baked by the time it's done I'm smiling and can't get over the fact that I just rode around denver on so many bike paths. You'd never think we're so lucky.
Old 06-20-08, 10:25 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by ummbnb
Cool....oh, and it's woman
OH -

Then it should be "Go east, young woman!"