Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Maths question! Gear/cadence related

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I was wondering if there exists a fairly simple fomula for calculating speed, using gearing, wheel size, crank arm, + anything else that might be pertinent? I realise that get a bike computer is the obvious answer - I am just interested. Searched but failed to find anything, and unfortunately I am not particularly mechanically/mathematically minded so am stuck...

Cheers
Ron
Old 06-18-08, 07:50 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Google on "gear inches" too.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-18-08, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by ronfinch
Hi all,
I was wondering if there exists a fairly simple fomula for calculating speed, using gearing, wheel size, crank arm, + anything else that might be pertinent? I realise that get a bike computer is the obvious answer - I am just interested. Searched but failed to find anything, and unfortunately I am not particularly mechanically/mathematically minded so am stuck...

Cheers
Ron
Check out Sheldon Brown's online gear calculator https://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and set it to display gear units as MHP/KPH at a certain cadence.
Old 06-18-08, 07:56 AM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
As you asked for something simple a rough calculation can be made based on the fact that a 100 inch gear at 100 rpm is 30mph (50 kph). If you are in a 70 inch gear at 90rpm that makes it 30 x .7 * .9= 19mph (18.9). A 110 inch gear at 120rpm makes it 30x1.1*1.2= 40mph (39.6). Sheldon's and many other sites can produce gear inch tables. If you have access to a computer Sheldon's site is of course the best option but this works on the road, given that you can estimate cadence either way!

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-21-08 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-18-08, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This can be found on Sheldon's site, but this is just basic geometry.

For each turn of the crank, you travel the circumference of the wheel multiplied by your gear ratio. If you know the circumference of your wheel (in meters) and your cadence and the size of your chainwheel and cog, then it's just:

You didn't specify, but since you say "maths" instead of "math", I'll assume you want km and m instead of miles and inches:

Speed (km/hr) = 0.06 x cadence(rev/min) x (Size of chainwheel in teeth) / (size of rear cog in teeth) x (circumference of wheel in meters)

Tricky part is wheel circumference - to guesstimate, get the bike on the sidewalk, orient wheel with valvestem down, put a chalk mark under valve, roll bike some number of wheel revolutions, chalk again, measure distance, divide by number of revolutions.
Old 06-18-08, 08:19 AM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this one !!!
Old 06-18-08, 08:20 AM
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Try this: https://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html
Old 06-19-08, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
Only just got chance to get back online.
Thank you all very much for your replies - very useful and exactly what I was looking for, both the simpler thing and the more complex explanation on sheldon brown.com.

Cheers