Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else have a moth problem?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 06:00 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

Brought my bike in from a ride (bicycle related)(mine so its 50+ related)(just dotting my T's and crossing my eyes here) and it was covered with a slimey green goo as if I had followed a bunch of horses down the trail. A close inspection of the road near the end of my driveway showed a completely covering layer of chewed leaves, green droppings and live catapillers. You can hear them chewing in my oak trees. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a rerun of the Gypsy Moth Catapiller rampage of two decades ago. Do you folks in other parts of the country have these. Once they get going they can wipe out whole forests of trees in a couple of years.

Not to mention that they make the road more slippery than ice and my bike dirty too.
Old 06-18-08, 06:09 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not yet.

However, 2 million acres of pine are dead from the pine beetle, with another million on the firing line, and on the news last night, it talked of an Ash beetle ready to decimate that population.

Ah, the wonders of nature!
Old 06-18-08, 06:10 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Brought my bike in from a ride (bicycle related)(mine so its 50+ related)(just dotting my T's and crossing my eyes here) .....

Wait. This has nothing to do with your age and riding.

Unless of course the caterpillars are 50+ and ride bikes.........
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-18-08, 07:25 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have seen a huge amount of caterpillers in general this spring. One was smoking a hookah pipe. I'd say that one came from your world.
Old 06-18-08, 08:01 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I have seen a huge amount of caterpillers in general this spring. One was smoking a hookah pipe. I'd say that one came from your world.
Oh...............the blue one.......................so that's where he got to. You haven't by any chance seen my cat?

Siu..............My (50+) bike (bicycle) go slimed on a ride (bicycle again) and the roads are dangerously slippery when these catipillers are about......................... The catipilliers are only 20 or so and prefer to climb trees. I ride in the woods under the trees. All in all this thread is about as relevant as anything I've seen here lately. Now all you California people can party on cause its time for an East Coast Geezer to go to bed.

Old 06-18-08, 08:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The moth population around here seems to be down this year. Could be all of the rain.

Right now the mosquito population is down too. Experts at UW-Madison have speculated that the recent floods carried the mosquito eggs down to Illinois and Missouri. We can expect more soon, but right now those guys are being flooded with our rain, and drained by our mosquitoes.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-18-08, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Studded tires are not just for Winter any more. No moth problems since I stopped buying wool shorts.
Old 06-18-08, 09:32 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Oh...............the blue one.......................so that's where he got to. You haven't by any chance seen my cat?

Siu..............My (50+) bike (bicycle) go slimed on a ride (bicycle again) and the roads are dangerously slippery when these catipillers are about......................... The catipilliers are only 20 or so and prefer to climb trees. I ride in the woods under the trees. All in all this thread is about as relevant as anything I've seen here lately. Now all you California people can party on cause its time for an East Coast Geezer to go to bed.

I'm too old to party.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-19-08, 01:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a problem a couple of years ago and parts of Friston Forest were closed down. Infestation of a woolly caterpillar and it was a huge infestation. Hit an area of about 1 acre and every tree was hit. The caterpillars literraly covered the trees and any one walking under them would have the Caterpillars fall on them. Big Skin irritation ensued.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-19-08, 01:57 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't noticed a particular problem around here this year...no worse than other years.

When I was a teen I spent a few summers in CT and I've never seen anything like the gypsy moth population up there. You really can hear them chewing. I was living in a tent and you could hear them dropping out of the trees; it sounded like rain when they hit the canvas. I had to shake out my shorts before putting them on.
Old 06-20-08, 05:52 PM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
I haven't noticed a particular problem around here this year...no worse than other years.

When I was a teen I spent a few summers in CT and I've never seen anything like the gypsy moth population up there. You really can hear them chewing. I was living in a tent and you could hear them dropping out of the trees; it sounded like rain when they hit the canvas. I had to shake out my shorts before putting them on.
I remember that too. I hiked the AT in 78 and it was a huge year for gypsy moths. They crapped on me for most of the 2000 miles. Like you said, I could hear them munching as I walked up the trail
Old 06-20-08, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I just checked inside my seat tubes, under the saddle and in the ends of the handlebars... no moths inside my bikes I'm happy to report....