Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's causing this sound?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

Over the past week I've noticed a new noise in the front end of the bike (Kona Jake the Snake, outfitted with PB fenders and slick tires for commuting).

It's a 'TICK' noise followed some seconds later by a 'TOCK' noise. It sounds like something is getting flexed one direction, then the other. It's not related to bumps (so it may not be a loose part). The spokes seem tight (although it sounds like a spoke being flexed from the metallic sound). It's not the fender or anything hitting it, and it's not speed sensitive - it just happens every few seconds on a seemingly random basis.

I've felt it when I've been on the cross-brake levers, but it doesn't happen when I'm sitting still, flexing the brake lever.

I feel it more when I'm putting more weight on the handlebars, but that could be that more weight makse it worse, or that I just notice it more....

Could it be something in the headset, the front hub or a spoke flexing under stress? I've got it at the shop now, hopefully they'll be able to find the problem, but I wonder if anyone here has any ideas....
'06 Kona Jake the Snake

Old 06-18-08, 09:08 PM

Bikes: NOYB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like the stem/handlebar junction. They can make "ticking" noises if the inside of the clamp hasn't been roughed up a bit with sandpaper, or if a thin coating of grease wasn't applied.
Old 06-18-08, 09:16 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kokomo61
Over the past week I've noticed a new noise in the front end of the bike (Kona Jake the Snake, outfitted with PB fenders and slick tires for commuting).

It's a 'TICK' noise followed some seconds later by a 'TOCK' noise. It sounds like something is getting flexed one direction, then the other. It's not related to bumps (so it may not be a loose part). The spokes seem tight (although it sounds like a spoke being flexed from the metallic sound). It's not the fender or anything hitting it, and it's not speed sensitive - it just happens every few seconds on a seemingly random basis.

I've felt it when I've been on the cross-brake levers, but it doesn't happen when I'm sitting still, flexing the brake lever.

I feel it more when I'm putting more weight on the handlebars, but that could be that more weight makse it worse, or that I just notice it more....

Could it be something in the headset, the front hub or a spoke flexing under stress? I've got it at the shop now, hopefully they'll be able to find the problem, but I wonder if anyone here has any ideas....
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html