Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain skips.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain skips.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Chain skips.

My older road bike I just started riding the last two days.Has Shimano 105 with a replacement Shimano Deore rear derailleur after the original wore out.
Seems each year after having the bike tuned up the mechanics have a hard time making the shifting perfect...
Today a fellow rider looked at the bike after it skipped gears while going up a small hill and I was exerting more force.
I was like in the middle chain ring and probably the second small cog in... The bike originally had two chainrings..I switched it out to three rings, since we have lots of hills around here.
So Paul looked at it..Said the cage hits the chain no matter where the cage is set. He felt the cage was still designed for two chain rings and not three... Think it mandatory to switch out the cage when upgrading to three gears in the front?No mechanic has ever commented upon this problem.. Recall, one once said, you have so many miles on the bike it is just worn out.. The derailleurs, cog set, and chain rings have all been replaced..Just not the cage. Could that be the problem.
Ever since the conversion, Have always had this problem to varying degrees..
Old 01-01-04, 11:55 PM
Alpe D'Instigator

Bikes: lemond alp de huez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could be a loose cassette....
Old 01-02-04, 12:42 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I looked at my friends' cage over his 3 ring cluster and compared it to mine..His cage was substantially wider than mine. Its narrowness, he attributed to the rubbing of the chain in the back... His question, possibly when it was retrofitted, maybe Shimano did not make a cage for the new crankset..? He thought spacers could be used to build up the cage, should that be the case......thanks..I will check the tightness of the cassette.
Old 01-02-04, 09:10 AM
El Inglés

Bikes: road ( Mendiz ) & mtb (crap )

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds resonable , they only make one set of levers but two sets of rear and front mech per group , try changing it , a least it´s a cheap piece to change.