Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Brake Problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live on the beach in San Diego and have a single speed Beach Cruiser. Lately I have been having this problem, where when I brake hard the pedals still push hard against my feet like they want to continue to go forward. Its impossible to lay down a skid mark because with the pressure it just pushes the pedals a little more. When this happens it usually off-sets the rear wheel and it ends up rubbing against the side of the bike frame which makes it almost impossible to pedal. Does anyone know how to fix this or what?
Old 06-19-08, 11:16 AM
EATS

Bikes: We own a Santana Arriva S+S pulling a Burley Nomad, Qty 2 70's Raleighs updated, C-dale hybrid, Fuji hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the 'torque arm' (the arm that comes off the rear hub and attaches to a bracket on the chain stay) properly attached or did it come apart? That would be one expalanation.
Old 06-19-08, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No the torque arm is not attached. Would that little piece make that big of a difference? Would that allow me to brake smoothly and also prevent the tire from being angled and rubbing against the side?
Old 06-19-08, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea the torque arm is not attached. Would that make much of a difference? Would that allow me for smoothing braking as well as keeping the tire aligned straight? Write back if you get a chance, I am trying to prevent another trip to the bike store to spend more money.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-08, 11:41 AM
EATS

Bikes: We own a Santana Arriva S+S pulling a Burley Nomad, Qty 2 70's Raleighs updated, C-dale hybrid, Fuji hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes - all the difference. When you apply the brake the braking force created in the hub has to be absorbed somewhere and the way it's done is to run it through the little arm and into the frame. What's probably happening is that with the arm free to swing around the rear axle moves with it and is walking along the dropout on one side until the tire hits the frame. The uncontrolled twisting motion also will affect the rear hub bearing adjustment - which might now be way too tight. A trip to the bike shop to set it right would be a good idea and save you money before real damage is done.
Old 06-19-08, 11:48 AM
EATS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read your last sentence. Try this.

Pull off the rear wheel and check the bearing adjustment. If you have the correct flat wrenches you can adjust the bearings if they need it. It's usually done on the side opposite the brake arm. Then put the wheel back into the bike with the axle nuts loose. Attach the brake arm to the bracket and leave that nut and bolt loose. Center the wheel, tighten the chain and tighten the axle nuts. Finish by tightening the brake arm nut and bolt. You should be able to skid to your heart's content. Good luck.
Old 06-19-08, 11:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I will try and attach the arm tonight and give it a try. Thanks for your input, this problem has been bugging me for atleast a month! Ill give it a try and get back to you. Thanks!
Old 06-19-08, 11:51 AM
EATS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You bet.
Old 06-23-08, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worked great. thanks very much!
Old 06-23-08, 08:59 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
It's called an "actuator arm"...

Good to hear you got things fixed before any really bad things happened.