Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Omaha trails forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omaha trails forum

For you Omahans and any others who might be interested, there is a new forum to discuss the conditions of the MUPS in Omaha. It is: https://www.omahatrails.com/Forum The forum is desperately in need of warm bodies.

The site also has detailed maps of the area trails.

Glenn in Omaha
Old 06-24-08, 09:14 PM
Navy Recruiter

Bikes: Trek VRX 300; Scott Speedster S2; Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got anything on Lincoln?

-Barry-
Old 06-25-08, 07:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OmahaTrails forum does not include Lincoln. I did a quick google search and did not find any trail forums for Lincoln. It would be nice. I think Lincoln has a nice trail system.

Glenn in Omaha
Old 06-27-08, 10:17 AM
saikurisutto

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720, 2004 Marin Argenta, Police Auction Schwinn Impact, Coker Wheelman Highwheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no forum, but there is a web site. Does that help?
Old 06-30-08, 01:25 PM
Semantic Gynmast

Bikes: Electra Townie 8 700c, Breezer Freedom, miyata 615

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are few blogs related to Lincoln cyclists. This one seems to cover a lot of mtb trail issues:

https://jedionabike.blogspot.com
Old 10-31-08, 07:30 PM

Bikes: 70ish Motobecane Nomad Fixie, 2004 Jamis Aurora, 90ish Burley Samba Mixter, 92 Trek Antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
has anyone done the new 'Turner Trail' section yet? it just opened....
Old 11-05-08, 09:43 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SambaMixte
has anyone done the new 'Turner Trail' section yet? it just opened....
Turner Park Trial? I rode on it by accident just before it opened a couple weeks ago. It's just a very short glorified half-mile sidewalk from about Farnam to Leavenworth... where it leaves you with about 6 or 8 blocks on the busy street along Leavenworth to get to the Field Club Trail (1.5 miles), which does not connect with anything yet.

IMO the publicity for it is much ado about little.

https://www.unomaha.edu/recadmin/trai...railReport.pdf

Last edited by billydonn; 11-05-08 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-10-08, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 70ish Motobecane Nomad Fixie, 2004 Jamis Aurora, 90ish Burley Samba Mixter, 92 Trek Antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omaha Trails

Seems if all you want to do is recreational riding, the Omaha trails are ok. If you ever want to get somewhere in particular, especially east to west, or in my case, West to East- you are out of luck. I believe they would have more success getting bikes off the sidewalk and putting in bike lanes. My nominations, "L Street or Pacific"
Old 11-11-08, 03:57 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billydonn
Turner Park Trial? I rode on it by accident just before it opened a couple weeks ago. It's just a very short glorified half-mile sidewalk from about Farnam to Leavenworth... where it leaves you with about 6 or 8 blocks on the busy street along Leavenworth to get to the Field Club Trail (1.5 miles), which does not connect with anything yet.

IMO the publicity for it is much ado about little.

https://www.unomaha.edu/recadmin/trai...railReport.pdf
Correction: The TP Trail crosses Leavenworth (though not well marked) and goes into Turner Park and then turns west on over across Poppleton (I think it is) to connect to the Field Club Trail. When the FC Trail finally connects to the Keystone, we will be in business. Still, as of now, it is a short trail connecting to another short trail and much more suited to walkers than to biking.
Old 11-11-08, 04:02 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seems if all you want to do is recreational riding, the Omaha trails are ok. If you ever want to get somewhere in particular, especially east to west, or in my case, West to East- you are out of luck. I believe they would have more success getting bikes off the sidewalk and putting in bike lanes. My nominations, "L Street or Pacific"
You are pretty much correct on that. The Omaha system is not yet much of a commuting resource. Your idea of using L Street is a good one! There is a lot of land along most of L that would make for a good trail right of way!
Old 12-30-08, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omaha Trails

sent in a question about one of the trails- and got a Not valid address ..did submit a comment on the design of the connector trail between West Papio North and 144th St Trail.
Old 01-05-09, 08:44 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
sent in a question about one of the trails- and got a Not valid address ..did submit a comment on the design of the connector trail between West Papio North and 144th St Trail.
I have tried communicating with them and also got nothing. It isn't actually clear who is esponsible for the website.
Old 01-06-09, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this email address...

I have tried communicating with them and also got nothing. It isn't actually clear who is esponsible for the website.
Try: dwilson@omahatrails.com He responded when I had problems. The site itself gets so little traffic, I have given up checking the forums.

Glenn in Omaha
Old 01-12-09, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year- once we get back to riding weather, I'm going to try the bike commute from West O, 166 and Pacific, via Pacific. riding on the road. Still working out the route after Elmwood Park, but it looks like picking up Levenworth on the inbound route. Not that I don't like bike trails, but I used to bike commute a lot, and it seems the best way is to be another vehicle on the road, not a bike path. Additionally, is there any way to complain about whoever did the crossings? they seem to be designed for kids on tricycles going slow, not bike riders. Some are nearly impossible to make on a tandem! Of note, it also seems the crossings are behind the light actuators in the street, making it a very touchy situation for bike riders.
Old 01-12-09, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Additionally, is there any way to complain about whoever did the crossings? they seem to be designed for kids on tricycles going slow, not bike riders. Some are nearly impossible to make on a tandem! Of note, it also seems the crossings are behind the light actuators in the street, making it a very touchy situation for bike riders.
Isn't that the truth. Try some of those crossings on an eleven foot tandem tadpole trike!

Glenn in Omaha
Old 03-04-09, 03:00 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What crossings are you guys referring to? Bridges and such? If so, keep in mind that some of those fixes can cost hundreds of thousands of bucks. Thus they may not run right out and fix them... but if people bring it up, it may get on a list for long-term planning. A list of known "design issues" might be a good idea. PM me if you want to know who to contact.
Old 03-07-09, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am talking about ordinary street intersections. Many of them now have new "wheel chair" ramps that have the rough (raised circles of concrete about 2(?) inches in diameter) surface for traction. The problem for me is that they are relatively narrow and have a sharp drop off on the sides. I need to approach them straight on in order to keep from dragging a derailleur. They are often turned at the wrong angle for this or are too close -- for my long trike -- to a traffic light pole or some other obstruction. It presents no problem for someone in a wheel chair or a short bike, just for my monster.

Glenn in Omaha

What crossings are you guys referring to? Bridges and such? If so, keep in mind that some of those fixes can cost hundreds of thousands of bucks. Thus they may not run right out and fix them... but if people bring it up, it may get on a list for long-term planning. A list of known "design issues" might be a good idea. PM me if you want to know who to contact.
Old 03-09-09, 07:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
street crossings at intersections-

for instance 180th going south just past Millard West intersection with S176 comes to mind- crossng button is unreachable on bikes if you want to stay on (mounted). Along Pacific from 156 to 144 the crossing area is behind where autos have to pull up to activate the lights...
Old 04-14-09, 10:25 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm going to guess that Public Works is in charge of that kind of thing... and it's the old story. They are only used to thinking about cars and pedestrians/wheelchairs. Planning for bikes is too much for them and there is not the political will to force a change in that. Trails are parks and recreation. Anything else... well good luck.
Old 04-20-09, 04:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you riders monitoring the Omaha-Lincoln Bike path? Is the trail done to Schramm ? thru Springfield all the way to the Lied Bridge? Anyone ever ridden that trail?
Old 04-21-09, 09:14 AM
Everyday Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn Supersport single speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno, I have not heard of any completion on the trail. I did ride Highway 6 down to Lincoln a couple weeks ago. It served as a good route.