Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Staying cool in summer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Staying cool in summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 11:54 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Staying cool in summer

Our weather for the last week has been 100+ each day. Unfortunately I live out in one of the hottest spots so I haven't done any riding around here for a few days. I can take the bike down to the coast and ride, but that would make for a 50 mile round trip in the car and with the cost of gas, I don't want to do it to often. Tomorrow they said it is suppose to cool down to about 85 in my area, that I could probably tolerate. I'm thinking of taking my camelbak with ice and water in it. I will also probably take an empty water bottle that I can fill along the way so I can pour the water on my head if I need to. I have a buff I will take that I could soak in water and put around my neck and hopefully all these things will make the ride a little more pleasant. I plan on doing my usual hilly 40 mile ride, any other suggestions for staying cool.
Old 06-23-08, 12:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Humidity is the thing that will get me so 100 with High humidity would finish me. BUT if humidity not too bad- I can ride up to about 100 (Maybe wishfull thinking over here) Plenty of water and I am talking at least 1 litre per hour. 50 % of this would also be an Isotonic as that helps rehydration. Temperature of the Water or drink doesn't really matter (Black Coffee works just aswell for me). You still have to eat and I find that this is one time when Gels really work. They slip down the throat easily so no drying out of the mouth. (But take plenty of water with the gels aswell.) Sweat from the head running in the eyes is where I would wear a bandana or cap. And if I felt that I was overheating- dampen it down a bit.

And Hydration starts today. Couple of extra pints of fluid today will mean you start with a hydrated body.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 06-23-08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-23-08, 12:12 PM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leave early. around here its light enough to ride w/o lights at 5:30. You can get a pretty decent ride in before it gets hot
Old 06-23-08, 12:15 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Lightweight (white if possible) technical fabric in the jersey and even you shoe uppers. Its amazing how much cooling evaporation can do. Now you need more water.
Old 06-23-08, 12:24 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buddyp
Leave early. around here its light enough to ride w/o lights at 5:30. You can get a pretty decent ride in before it gets hot
I would love to start my ride around 5 am, but that isn't possible tomorrow. I'm meeting a friend for breakfast so I won't start my ride until around 9 am. By then all the "working" people should be where they are suppose to be and hopefully will leave fewer cars on the road for me to contend with. I also walk my dogs in the morning before the heat starts.

At least I know I have a couple of spots I can stop for water along the way to refill my camelbak or water bottle.
Old 06-23-08, 01:53 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We're hot up here as well, with about 12%-27% humidity. Keep moving, as your sweat will evaporate quickly and you'll make your own breeze. When you stop moving is when the sweat pours. Try to take a sip of water every 10 minutes while riding so you won't become dehydrated. I wear a Halo skull cap to help absorb sweat and keep the sun off my head.

You sound well-prepared for the ride, so enjoy it and don't worry too much about the heat -- you'll be fine.

In summer my favorite time to ride is between 6 and 10 a.m., especially on those triple-digit days.
Old 06-23-08, 02:03 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some useful stuff in this thread from a couple of years ago on commuting in the Mojave Desert, especially this post. I would have been out this past weekend, but the tubes in both my tires burst from the heat so I took it as a sign.
Old 06-23-08, 03:34 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-23-08, 05:00 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best way to stay cool is to stay inside in the air conditioning. On the other hand, when I want a great workout, I do a long bike ride on one of these wonderful 100 degree Texas days.
Old 06-23-08, 05:36 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Litespeed,

From a medical standpoint trying to ride too much in this kind of weather might not be the best idea anyone has ever had. I have cut my rides down to early morning or later afternoons and figure that two hours will be pushing it. Our school districts will restrict out door activities for our kids and they issue advisories for adult employees. I know that it gets pretty hot here as well. But I believe the heat near Rancho Bernardo is about as hot as I have ever been. Remember this is the weather they warn us about with heat stroke and heat exhaustion. I think your best bet is to let the heat wave pass and cut your riding down to times you can manage. I try to remember a simple rule. Would I ask a friend to ride their bike 10 miles to the store in excess of 100 degrees? If the answer is no why would I do it my self? Hemet and Temecula are just as hot as Lakeside.

Bob
Old 06-23-08, 06:38 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in middle TN it is normally 95 day in and day out so it is uncomfortable to get in the needed miles. It stays like this from mid June thru mid to late Sept. Lots of liquid and short, but frequent rides. If you stop sweating you are in trouble. Find a shady spot and sit for 30 min. if you need to.
Old 06-23-08, 06:52 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since it only got to 95 today, I'm hoping that tomorrow will drop to 85 or less. I know my limits in the heat and will definitely stop and find shade if I feel the least bit overheated. I always tell myself that I can turn around anytime and go home if I'm not enjoying myself, so far I have only done that once. My husband on the other hand can handle the heat and has even ridden in 115 degrees. I try to talk him out of it, but he won't listen. He does take plenty of water and knows all the watering holes around and says he will stop, find shade and take off his shoes.
Old 06-24-08, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Its good to know your route and where the nearest gas station/convenience stores are located. If it gets too hot, you will know that you have a Plan B.

Starting early is the best thing. Maybe not 5 am but at least 6 am would be sufficient for a good ride.
Old 06-24-08, 09:57 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Drink plenty of water and on longer rides drink something like Powerade to replace salts. Don't push too hard when it is really hot. Dousing with water helps. Wet bandannas on the head and around the neck helps. Occasional stops in the shade helps.
I recently rode 420 miles across Georgia during a week when the daily high temps ranged from 90 to 103. Almost all of the 1800 riders managed to make it without big problems.
Old 06-24-08, 12:50 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a mountain ride Sunday... 1) we started too late (9a), 2) we pushed too hard and 3) did I say we started too late? The temp at our turnaround point was 107 degrees!!!! Yikes! Thankfully it was "dry" out. I got slightly dehydrated and had alittle heat exhaustion (whomping headache!). At lunch I drank 6 large ice teas and was still thirsty. Probably a foolish thing to do but I had fun.

Edited to add: I foolishly grabbed my 72 ounce Camelbak instead of the 100. I won't make that mistake again!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-24-08, 03:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In a way this is bike related- as it works just aswell on a bike.

Many years ago I used to race Karts in Europe. Had a few problems where the humidity was high and a Friend who worked in Malaya put me onto Salt tablets. Went to Le Mans for a race meeting and got to the circuit at midday and it was hot. In the enclosed area it was well over 100 and humidity was very high. Just unloading the van and I was dead. Sat down- cup of coffee- glucose tablet and a salt pill. 30 minutes later and I was on the track. Me and the co-driver got the engines run in- got the gearing sorted and were finished by 6 pm. We had the track to ourselves all after noon. No-One else ventured out. Kept getting comments about Mad Dogs and Englishmen- but those salt tablets worked. The other teams had to practice at 6am next morning and we rolled up to the track at 9- race started at 11 and we set a new distance record.

Not suggesting salt tablets with the Healthy Diets we have to abide by now- but Isotonic drinks- Salted nuts- cheesy biscuits or crisps all have a high salt content. They do keep the essential salt intake higher than you are going to use on a ride. Salt aids rehydration and run low on salt and it takes a lot more water to keep hydrated.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-24-08, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCIpam
Did a mountain ride Sunday... 1) we started too late (9a), 2) we pushed too hard and 3) did I say we started too late? The temp at our turnaround point was 107 degrees!!!! Yikes! Thankfully it was "dry" out. I got slightly dehydrated and had alittle heat exhaustion (whomping headache!). At lunch I drank 6 large ice teas and was still thirsty. Probably a foolish thing to do but I had fun.

Edited to add: I foolishly grabbed my 72 ounce Camelbak instead of the 100. I won't make that mistake again!
In warmer months several of us in our club freeze some water in the Camelbak bladder (100 oz) so it is a block of ice, being careful it doesnt cover the tube. It is really nice to have cool water for most, if not all of the ride (we normally ride about 50 miles on Saturday mornings).
Old 06-24-08, 03:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litespeed
Since it only got to 95 today, I'm hoping that tomorrow will drop to 85 or less. I know my limits in the heat and will definitely stop and find shade if I feel the least bit overheated. I always tell myself that I can turn around anytime and go home if I'm not enjoying myself, so far I have only done that once. My husband on the other hand can handle the heat and has even ridden in 115 degrees. I try to talk him out of it, but he won't listen. He does take plenty of water and knows all the watering holes around and says he will stop, find shade and take off his shoes.
I remind myself to take it easier than normal when it gets that warm. and remember to hydrate!
Old 06-24-08, 03:55 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I did manage to get out for a ride today. Took my camelbak filled with ice and water which was REALLY helpful. I had not done this particular ride for about a month and I was surprised that I actually had to stop on the next to the last hill. (There were 5 hills on the way out and 3 on the way back). I drank more water and rested for a minute or two and then was able to finally get to the lake. I circled the lake a couple of times, stopping in the shade twice but didn't eat a Cliff bar like I usually do. I had an EXTREMELY big breakfast (at least for me) so I didn't think I would need it. Had a nice breeze 90% of the time which helped also. By the time I got back home after 41 miles, my arms and legs were hurting. The temperature ended up being 86 degrees when I got home. Glad I went, but my muscles will be sore tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if I had eaten a Cliff bar during the ride if I would have had an easier time overall.
Old 06-24-08, 04:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you might consider clif bloks too. I have been eating them on rides for the past month, and they seem to help. They also have electorlyte replacement in them. I also switched from gatorade to accererade in my water bottle (this time of year I carry the 100 oz of water and accererade)