Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Brooklyn Bridge to the East Side path

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 06-23-08, 05:58 PM
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

A friend of mine just started commuting from Park Slope to Wall Street. He's got his route down pretty well, but he's confused about what to do when he hits the end of the Brooklyn Bridge. Once he makes his way over to the bike path, he's fine. It's the intermediate route that he's unsure about.

I don't know that area, and I don't see anything immediately useful on bikeradar.com. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 06-24-08, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did this the other day for the first time (after going North many times).

He has to cross the street towards City Hall, go left a bit, then cross back over Park Row, as if heading towards J&R Records -- but staying closer to the bridge.

The road which goes down closest to the bridge is I believe Frankfort -- there are signs "to the FDR". Take that one, it's a pretty straight shot downhill to the waterfront. It becomes Dover, then you hit the Seaport and the path. A little trafficky but doable.
Old 06-24-08, 10:27 AM
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks very much!
Old 06-24-08, 11:15 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Try this:

https://www.ridethecity.com/index.php
Old 06-25-08, 07:02 AM
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Also appreciated. I forgot about ridethecity. Thanks.
Old 06-25-08, 07:07 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
this is my exact route. park slope to wall street. so, is he having trouble on the manhattan side, going down to the water?
Old 06-25-08, 07:17 AM
Drops small screws

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, exactly. He gets to the end of the Brooklyn Bridge and isn't sure how best to get over to the path. Any tips?

I commute to Wall Street too, and on the days when I tow my kids to preschool in a trailer, I end up over on the East Side path, southbound from 23rd (so I get to dodge all the Chinese people doing calisthenics). Which person on a bike are you? I've been the tall white guy folding his Dahon Matrix in front of 120 Wall, but I'm probably buying a Xootr tomorrow.
Old 06-25-08, 07:27 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noteon
Yes, exactly. He gets to the end of the Brooklyn Bridge and isn't sure how best to get over to the path. Any tips?

I commute to Wall Street too, and on the days when I tow my kids to preschool in a trailer, I end up over on the East Side path, southbound from 23rd (so I get to dodge all the Chinese people doing calisthenics). Which person on a bike are you? I've been the tall white guy folding his Dahon Matrix in front of 120 Wall, but I'm probably buying a Xootr tomorrow.
ah, i see. that's a little awkward. i think the best way would be do take a left onto broadway after the bridge and then take a left down either John St. or Liberty pl.... they should go straight down to the bike path.

Personally, i just take broadway to exchange pl. (one street below wall) to avoid the bulk of the tourists, and then migrate back up to wall and park. I'm at 14 Wall (I'm also a tall white guy with a scott moutain\commuter bike).