Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Knee problems off the bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 10:21 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I've been riding quite a bit (80+ miles per week) and while on the bike I have no discomfort at all, whether grinding up hills or standing on the pedals. The problem is that when I climb stairs or get up from a chair, my knees creak and are uncomfortable (kind of a weak feeling). This occurs post ride and on non-riding days. I'm thinking of taking fish oil suppliments after reading about them on BF. Does anyone else experience this? Any thoughts or constructive comments?
Old 06-24-08, 11:46 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I pushed to hard a gears and ended up with some pain in the left knee. Time off the bike hasn't helped and I can hit the treadmill for three + miles with no problem. Just sitting, crossing the legs or pulling a sock off is uncomfortable.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 06-25-08, 04:37 AM

Bikes: Bianchi road bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that when I just ride the bike, and I do not do other leg exercises, I have knee problems walking stairs and hills. What helps me are squats (both regular and single leg). Maybe it helps to balance the muscles in the leg. I also take fish oil capsules every day, and I think that helps, too.

Last edited by bw77; 06-25-08 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 04:44 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I've been riding quite a bit (80+ miles per week) and while on the bike I have no discomfort at all, whether grinding up hills or standing on the pedals. The problem is that when I climb stairs or get up from a chair, my knees creak and are uncomfortable (kind of a weak feeling). This occurs post ride and on non-riding days. I'm thinking of taking fish oil suppliments after reading about them on BF. Does anyone else experience this? Any thoughts or constructive comments?
MAK,

Check this post, especially #12 and 13 for links to conditions that may be similar to your symptoms.
Old 06-25-08, 04:49 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Monday 81 miles, Tuesday 71 miles. 66 Y/O take Vitamin E 1600 Units a day for Knees.
No Pain No Problems. Give it a try. Let me know.
Old 06-25-08, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fish oil has just gotta be good for the knees...ever see a fish with knee problems????
Old 06-25-08, 11:16 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fish Oil: I forget what the deal is, but you have to read the ingredients on it. There's certain fish oils which are made from fish which carry an overload of mercury. You should choose the "other" fish oil. Sorry I can't remember which is which...I don't take it because my dog's acupuncturist doesn't like it.
Old 06-25-08, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this helps, many Euro pro riders refuse to climb stairs. Claim it hurts the knees. Install an elevator in your house, just like the pros. If that option is a non starter, exercises that strengthen the legs will help.

Yoga has worked for me.
Old 06-26-08, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not neglect eating actual fish, including the eco-friendly (not threatened by over-fishing), low-mercury, and super high in Omega 3 oils Mackerel

https://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=15834

Many of the oiley & cheap fish that usually get no respect are the healthiest such as sardines and anchovies.
Old 06-26-08, 07:29 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Many of the oiley & cheap fish that usually get no respect are the healthiest such as sardines and anchovies.

Umm, there may be a reason for that! Then again, there's no accounting for taste....

Old 06-26-08, 02:00 PM

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Umm, there may be a reason for that! Then again, there's no accounting for taste....
smoked mackerel + little sour cream + wedge of lemon + cracker = yum yum
Old 06-26-08, 02:21 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain. I caused myself a problem that sounds very similar to what you describe. I've been calling it bursitis and I think I know what caused it. I inadvertently had my seat just a tad too high for a couple of months: not high enough to set off hammy alarms, which I am familiar with--that would have stopped me before anything too serious happened. For me, however, the seat was just high enough to finally result in a problem--sort of a combo hammy/ITB/tendonitis/joint problem combined.

Oh yeah and, I too am doing the fish oil, eating herring, glucosamine and chondroitin, Vit. C, Alleve ...