Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Tire Slightly Uneven on Wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just put on my inner tube and clincher tire onto my rim, and filled it up.

The tire is seated inside the rim all the way around, but if you look at it closely, some parts of it are higher or lower than other areas slightly. I'm hoping that it'll balance/level out symmetrically when I ride on it a bit?
Old 06-25-08, 12:41 AM
free mallocs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually put about 10-20psi into it, then go round pushing the tyre into the rim a little where it sticks out until it's nice and even (make sure to do both sides). Once it's in evenly, then I pump it up the rest of the way. It helps a lot to have the wheel off the ground until it's pumped up (either with the bike in a stand or upside down, or with the wheel off the bike and lying down), so that the wheel's weight doesn't push the tyre in too far on the bottom and cause it to rise out on the top.
Old 06-25-08, 05:39 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
There are a variety of ways of solving this. One, as stated, is too inflate the tube to its maximum pressure. This usually causes the tire to pop out of its low spots. High spots can be caused by the tube being caught between the tire and the side of the rim. If you have a low spot, with no air in the tube, mix up some soapy water and apply to the tire under the low spots. As you inflate, the tire will pop out of its low spot. One in a thousand shot is that the tire was molded badly.
Old 06-25-08, 06:04 AM
EATS

Bikes: We own a Santana Arriva S+S pulling a Burley Nomad, Qty 2 70's Raleighs updated, C-dale hybrid, Fuji hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also be sure that you are looking at the tire tread and not any reflective strips along the sidewall. Those can bounce around quite a bit even though the tire carcass is fine and well seated
Old 06-25-08, 08:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure you seated it properly where the valve is?
Old 06-25-08, 06:15 PM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
If you spray some water on the tire bead before you start to inflate it, the bead will slip into place with less air pressure.
Old 06-25-08, 06:44 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
How about lets determine if there even IS a problem first. Look at the tire when it's spinning, note top and sides, there should not be huge bumps sideways or up/down.

If there's just minor back and forthing it probably is alright.
Old 06-25-08, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is something that I check for every time I remount a tire. Most tires have a witness line close to the rim, and since you noticed the unevenness you have probably seen that already. If the tire is high near the valve then yes the thick valve tube joint is probably below the bead and keeping it from seating. You can deflate the tire, push the valve in to get its base above the bead. For the rest of the tire you can just push and pull and fiddle and get it even. This is important. If you don't the tube will come out under the bead where it is high, then when the tire is no longer containing it, it turns into a bubble and blows. Sometimes does sound like a gunshot. It is usually not long after you bring up the pressure that this happens, but it can be days.