Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Pre/Post supplementation...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 08:24 AM

Bikes: 07 Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...So Im going to give Endurox a try. So tell me if I have this right. Endurox accelerade (with caff) Pre ride/during, and Endurox R4 post ride? Where does Cytomax play into it all.

Im just looking for extended energy during long rides, and somthing with l glutimine/protein in it for proper recovery etc post ride. Should I add anything else?

Great fourm by the way!

Thanks in advance.
MattyNJ
Old 06-27-08, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nothing???
Old 06-27-08, 04:44 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't really use supplements to help me.

if you're having problems with energy during the ride, and you need drugs... well, caffeine is usually a first for most people. drink a flat coke or something while riding.

if you're looking for complete protein in a natural form, go for a can of pink salmon. depends on your area, but maybe 1.20$ for a can, which has 44g of complete protein in it, as well as other nutrients (i find pain is reduced the next day if i eat salmon the day of the ride)
Old 06-27-08, 10:19 PM
Pokes On Spokes

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly dude, I can't afford all that stuff. I do my 50-100+mi rides and races on fig bars, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and an occasional banana. Water is all I can afford.
Old 06-28-08, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. The real worry for me is just something anti catabolic (sp) from all this massive cardio (I run 5k's every wknd also). I dont want to end up looking like a marathon runner!, and the other worry as stated is, RECOVERY... I need something that can help me to do what i do everyday. My quads from cyling have been sore for as long as I remember! lol
Old 06-28-08, 09:23 AM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well try this:

do you stretch? i'll assume you do, but if you don't, try it.

eat more bananas. high in potassium; help to stop muscle cramps. they're cheap, too. you'll also need sodium, but in this day and age it's really easy to get a lot of it!

do you take a multi-vitamin everyday?

try out the salmon. see if it helps to reduce pain for you. i'd take it on days when weight lifting and cycling and working. as i said, i found it helped to reduce the soreness... but that might've been all in my head (but hey, placebos are great! it did the job!)

make sure you eat enough; your body shouldn't go into a catabolic state. be sure there are plenty of carbs!
Old 06-28-08, 06:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zan....I eat bananas everyday of my life alone with a very healty deit which include Omega3 good fats, from salmon, avacados, & nuts. I also take fish oil, flax oil with a multi vit., and approx. 1g of Isopure protein per my lean body weight. (For me), it is IMPOSSIBLE to to not loose muscle mass when doing this much cardio. I hate it because as a life long body builder (not freakish), I want to keep my symetry (sp), but from all the cycling/running which i love, my legs are like toothpicks!... RIPPPED toothpicks.

I fight back with the only weapon I believe that works...Tons of protein & L glutamine!. The probem with the carbs is that you burn "them" and not the body fat....Thanks for the reply
Old 06-28-08, 07:44 PM
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely do not need anything high tech at that level of exercise. I don't even carry a water bottle for a 5k run. I just drink some water before and and after the run. I don't start doing anything high tech for rides until they are over two hours. After that, HEED does well.

It really seems like you just need to gradually crank up your routine. Protein really isn't that important for aerobic exercise. Most cyclist and runners get plenty of protein from a regular diet.
Old 06-29-08, 07:05 AM
Zan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattyNJ
I fight back with the only weapon I believe that works...Tons of protein & L glutamine!. The probem with the carbs is that you burn "them" and not the body fat....Thanks for the reply
I know you didn't really quantify how much protein you actually consume here, but beware. If you're joe athlete, you only need up to two grams of protein per kilo of body weight per day. if you consume too much protein, you'll ruin your kidneys.

just in case you needed the heads up.
Old 06-29-08, 07:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I also take fish oil, flax oil with a multi vit., and approx. 1g of Isopure protein per my lean body weight"

thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-29-08, 07:38 AM
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zan
if you consume too much protein, you'll ruin your kidneys.
Yep, I nearly lost my kidneys last year, not specifically from tt much protein, but the powdered protein shakes were a major contributing factor. According to the Diabetes association's website, red meat is much harder on your kidneys than white meat.

Az
Old 06-30-08, 05:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great energy drink for rides

So there is a new healthy energy product that you might want to try before a ride. It is a powdered drink mix called phix, made from yerba mate, ginseng, water soluble vitamins, anti-oxidants and electrolytes. I've been using it for a few months now for cycling and swimming and it definitely picks me up. I've given it to a bunch of my friends who are cyclists around the Portland area and they are really digging it for hard, hot rides. It is sold in Whole Foods in the Pacific Northwest and also online at www.phix.com.