Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Would I be a Big Dummy for selling my Thorn Sherpa

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 08:22 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I currently have three bikes I can tour on easily:

- 700c LHT
- Surly Big Dummy
- Thorn Sherpa

I've used the first two for tours and enjoyed them. My LHT is definitely my go to bike for long road tours as it's fast, fun and can carry my typical touring load without a second thought... When I bought the Thorn Sherpa I wanted a 26" wheeled touring bike for rougher roads and international travel. I built it up, but haven't toured with it yet. Then earlier this year I got a Big Dummy - something I hadn't really planned on.

I had been planning on taking the Sherpa up to the arctic with me in a couple weeks to ride the Dempster Highway. I took it out on a group ride this week to make sure everything was in order and frankly the whole time I was out riding I wished I was on my Big Dummy. It's not that the Sherpa is a bad bike...in fact everyone that rides it loves it, but the Big Dummy is just such ridiculous fun... The BD can carry as much as the Sherpa and then some, it's long wheelbase makes it stable and very comfortable, it takes 26" wheels/tires so would be great for off paved road tours - the only two downsides I see are weight and ability to travel by air. When I got home from my ride on the Sherpa I pulled all the crap out of the Big Dummy's bags - I couldn't believe everything that was in there! When I lifted the empty bike it wasn't much heavier than the Thorn. Air travel would definitely be an issue with the BD. I'm contemplating adding S&S couplers to make the bike much easier to pack, but it won't ever pack as small as the Thorn.

I've pretty much decided to ride the Big Dummy on the Dempster Highway tour. After all this is a holiday and I might as well ride the bike that puts the biggest smile on my face. My dilemma is what is the point of keeping the Thorn if I have a great road touring bike [LHT] and a great dirt road/off road touring bike in the Big Dummy? Selling the Thorn is pretty sad..., but I'd rather use the money for something else than let a fine touring bike sit gathering dust in storage. Keep in mind that I live in a small downtown apartment so if I'm not going to use it the Thorn will sit in a storage locker 50kms away with my sea kayaks!

Anyways I thought I'd throw this out there and get some feedback before I did anything drastic... I'm going touring for 4 days on my LHT this weekend so I'll use the time to ponder the fate of the Sherpa and I'll see what wisdom you fine folks have to offer. If I do decide to sell the Thorn Sherpa I'll post the details on my blog.

Have a great weekend everyone....

Last edited by vik; 06-27-08 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to sell it.

You could just give it to me

But honestly, if you don't have any desire to ride it, there's not much point in keeping it. Although if I were you, I would take it on tour just to see how you like it. The newness of your BD might wear off sometime and you could be left regretting it. If you don't think you'll tire of the BD, I would sell.
Old 06-27-08, 09:31 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I say sell it, as long as you can get a good price for it. Or strip it for parts and sell the frame. Sounds to me like there's a ton of overlap between the LHT, BD and Thorn.
Old 06-27-08, 10:11 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I say sell it, as long as you can get a good price for it. Or strip it for parts and sell the frame. Sounds to me like there's a ton of overlap between the LHT, BD and Thorn.
Yes there is...I'd probably strip it and sell the frame/fork....I really like the Surly Nice front rack and the Tubus Cargo rear rack....they could find homes on other bikes no problemo. I wouldn't get good value on the nearly new components if I sold the bike whole and they are all quality items I'll use down the road.
Old 06-27-08, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im am extremely jealous of your bike collection. I myself am about to pick up a new 26" wheel LHT complete and can't wait. I also hope to have a BD in my surly family also. I kind of adopted a moto as "keep it simple keep it surly". But that thorn is a beautiful bike, I can see why you're having such a tough decision.
Old 06-27-08, 11:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't do it. Well, not unless you have to or if it's an emergency or you just won't ever ride it or something.

You'll never get as much money as you paid for it and for the extras you put on, plus, once it's gone, it's gone. When that happens it's too late to change your mind. I remember my friend selling his hard tail Giant bike (really nice) for a song, and then later realizing he could have really used it -too late!

It's not that I'm advocating keeping every single bike you have, just that when you have a quality bike I'd be much more careful (particularly since it is relatively unique as well). As you said, you'd probably have difficulties flying with the BD unless you put couplers on (how much? Add that to the money you'll probably lose when you sell the Sherpa). You can use that Sherpa right now without that additional cost.

Keep it and ride it.
Old 06-27-08, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Thorn Sherpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigeyy
Don't do it. Well, not unless you have to or if it's an emergency or you just won't ever ride it or something.

You'll never get as much money as you paid for it and for the extras you put on, plus, once it's gone, it's gone. When that happens it's too late to change your mind. I remember my friend selling his hard tail Giant bike (really nice) for a song, and then later realizing he could have really used it -too late!

It's not that I'm advocating keeping every single bike you have, just that when you have a quality bike I'd be much more careful (particularly since it is relatively unique as well). As you said, you'd probably have difficulties flying with the BD unless you put couplers on (how much? Add that to the money you'll probably lose when you sell the Sherpa). You can use that Sherpa right now without that additional cost.

Keep it and ride it.
+1
Old 06-27-08, 12:28 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Keep it and ride it.
You make some good points, but the factor that is really important is that I live in a small downtown apartment at the moment I've got 9 bikes in it [2 are a friend's so they'll be leaving shortly]. Space is at a premium so if I keep the Thorn it will live in a storage space and essentially never get ridden.

One use that has occurred to me is as a loaner for friends/GFs to ride on tour. That's the best reason to keep it I've come up with so far, but it's an expensive bike to keep around as a loaner. OTOH being able to get people out on tour with me may just be worth it.

I don't think I'd really take much of a loss on selling the frame/fork. I might be smoking dope here, but I think selling it for the MSRP would be reasonable as the buyer would save themselves the cost of shipping and taxes/duties over buying a new frame from Thorn in the UK that would amount to $200. The frame/fork are in mint condition with very low mileage.
Old 06-27-08, 12:40 PM
Life is simply timing...

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep it and ride it.
+ 1 more
......although it seems like you have already made up your mind
Old 06-27-08, 01:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I see your point about keeping it as a loaner -and if it is in storage it certainly won't get ridden. Only you know what you really want to do -and I assume from your response you didn't pay for shipping originally, or else the exchange rate has negated this.

Other things to consider: it sounds like you won't be losing any money by keeping it, nor does it sound like you are in urgent need of the money that would be raised by selling it. It also sounds like you haven't really given it a fair trial (I'm not a Thorn evangelist when I say that, just that it doesn't sound like it). As someone else posted, it might be a good idea to give it at least one tour to see what you think before you make a potentially hasty decision.

What about your other 4 bikes? Is there any overlapping functionality and are any of those bikes lesser quality and uniqueness? Might be worth it to get rid of one of those if it is a space issue. Could you make your Thorn a commuter bike instead?

Having said all that, if you aren't going to use it, you might as well liquidate it and spend the money on something useful, and I see no problem with that.

Originally Posted by vik
You make some good points, but the factor that is really important is that I live in a small downtown apartment at the moment I've got 9 bikes in it [2 are a friend's so they'll be leaving shortly]. Space is at a premium so if I keep the Thorn it will live in a storage space and essentially never get ridden.
Old 06-27-08, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you will be sorry,down through the years iv'e sold everything worth selling for next to nothing simply because i thought i needed the money or space at the time( wrong) but your a big boy now so you will make your own mind up one way or another ,hope its the wright one good luck.
Old 06-27-08, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm swimming against the tide here, but I'd say sell it. The bike wants to be ridden. It won't be happy languishing away in some storage hidey hole. Also, there is someone out there who will love this bike and ride it and take it on wonderful adventures. Give that person the chance.

Speedo
Old 06-27-08, 02:25 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just wanted to clear up one point for the sake of Thorn and all Thorn owners out there. There is nothing wrong with the Sherpa at all. So going on a tour with it isn't likely to change my mind as I don't feel it lacks anything or is under performing. The thing is the Big Dummy is just more fun to ride [for me]. It's sort of like having to choose between Jessica Alba and Cameron Diaz for a week long date at Club Med. We each might pick a different partner, but no one is going to suggest anyone took "the ugly girl" - if you get my drift!...

I think the trouble is that there are so few Big Dummies on the road that few people can really appreciate why the long wheelbase and Xtracycle add-ons make it such a sweet ride. I also think the weight difference between a Big Dummy and standard touring bike is over estimated. If I didn't buy a Big Dummy we wouldn't be having this discussion and I'd be happily riding the Thorn. Frankly it's not a bad problem to have so many great bikes to take on tour. It's just a shame when you see a nice ride sit and gather dust.

In response to what the other bikes I've got in my apartment:

- Surly LHT
- Surly Big Dummy
- Thorn Sherpa
- Schwinn MTB
- Bike Friday Tikit
- Challenge Fujin SL [European low racer recumbent]
- RANS Street [crank forward] - test bike

I do appreciate all the feedback and I'm not sure what I'll do. Keeping the Thorn as a loaner has merit, but so does selling the frame/fork and using the $$$ for another bike project that will see more use. I'm heading home to pack my panniers and ride the LHT through the Rockies for 4 days so I'll have lots of time to consider all the options....

Happy Canada Day - to those of you living in The Great White North....
Old 06-27-08, 02:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ooooh, you got some nice bikes there Vik! Enjoy your weekend tour.
Old 06-27-08, 05:26 PM

Bikes: RANS Stratus XP (2008)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Vik

Seems to me the answer is clear -- sell the Sherpa and use some of the proceeds on the S&S couplings. It's not just that I'm a fan of the BD for touring, your icon says it all -- put your money into the bike that does it for you. Re keeping the Sherpa as a loaner, chances are it'll end up being the wrong size for the right person. That said, you're about the smartest person on the forum so I'm sure you'll make the right decision!
Old 07-04-08, 09:53 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well upon lots of reflection on tour and reading your comments I've decided I'll sell the Thorn Sherpa. I've posted sale details here. If it doesn't sell for what I'm asking for it then I'll just keep it and use it as a loaner for friends.

I appreciate everyone that took time to reply to my post. You all made very valid points. What finally made me decide to sell was having a few friends come over to my apartment with their bikes and we could barely move there were bikes everywhere! I need to streamline my fleet so any bike that isn't getting used needs to be sold or go to storage. It just seems such a waste to put a fine bike like the Sherpa in a far away storage locker.

Nothing would make me happier than getting photos of the Sherpa on tour with its new owner...

BTW - beware of the Big Dummy she can be a home wrecker!....
Old 07-04-08, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of taking the LHT on a 4 day tour to think about selling the Sherpa, why don't you take the Sherpa on the tour???
Old 07-04-08, 11:10 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DukeArcher
Instead of taking the LHT on a 4 day tour to think about selling the Sherpa, why don't you take the Sherpa on the tour???
Because the LHT is one of my favourite bikes and it hasn't been out on tour with me in a while. It was also the perfect bike for that tour. For a paved road tour the 700c LHT is hard to beat.

As I stated earlier it isn't a matter of trying the Sherpa out more - I know it's a great bike, but it simply isn't nearly as fun [for me] as my Big Dummy and my Big Dummy can do pretty much everything the Sherpa can + more. This is just a subjective personal opinion - I'm not suggesting the Thorn is bad bike, but amongst my fleet of three touring bikes it has too much overlap with the Big Dummy and my apartment isn't huge so something has to go.

If I had not bought the Big Dummy I'd be happily riding my Thorn and this post would never have happened. However, I've been seduced by the temptation of the longtail bike!

Interestingly both the Bog Dummy and Xtracycle kits are both sold out until the end of the summer - clearly I'm not the only one with longtail fever...

Last edited by vik; 07-04-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 03:29 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The frame sold to a new owner who'll put it to good use...
Old 07-04-08, 05:41 PM
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That was fast! Didn't you just put it up this morning?
Old 07-06-08, 04:46 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ya - it only lasted a few hours. I'm just happy that it's going to someone who'll put lots of miles on it and I'm happy to have more space in my apartment! I rode my Big Dummy on a 2 day tour this weekend and I'm sure I made the right decision.
Old 07-06-08, 07:42 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
So how does a loaded BD handle? Did you put all the weight in back, or balance it out a bit?
Old 07-06-08, 08:26 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
So how does a loaded BD handle? Did you put all the weight in back, or balance it out a bit?

I used front panniers on my Big Dummy on an Old Man Mountain Cold Springs rack. Just like on my LHT this slows down the steering quite a bit. The longer wheelbase makes the whole unit very stable and takes the edge off bumps and road imperfections - note I also run Marathon XRs at 45-60psi on this bike for a comfortable ride. Overall I'd describe the ride like a cross between Cadillac and a 4x4 pick up - plush all terrain cargo fun...

For the ride home the Big Dummies [my friend Joel also rides a BD] gobbled up all the group gear and hardly noticed the weight - allowing the rest of our group to ride with light loads.

I can't say enough good things about the Big Dummy.

Old 07-06-08, 08:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Vik, what size Marathon XR's are you riding on the Big Dummy? I just bought a pair of 35's.
Old 07-06-08, 08:42 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BoiseShwin
Hey Vik, what size Marathon XR's are you riding on the Big Dummy? I just bought a pair of 35's.
50-559 Marathon XRs [26 x 2.0"] - love those tires!...

I run 35mm 700c XRs on my LHT....great ride and tough as nails.....