Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

bike in the $300-$600 range - NEED HELP to choose

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All. Great Forum. I'm in the market for a new MTB. I am getting back into biking and plan on using this bike to ride the local path/trails with my kids, commuting at times, no extreme riding, but most of the paths near me are either paved, light gravel or wood chips. Back in the mid 90's I used to ride a Trek 820 rigid fork which I liked and also had a GT MTB (can't remember the model) but it was an equivalant to the trek in price and also had a rigid fork. The variety out there is mind boggling! I plan on buying from a LBS to ensure the bike is set up correctly and I find the right size. Bikes manufacturers I like and seem to be pretty available in my area are: Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, Giant and Cannondale. I read alot on this forum about MTB tires vs 700c tires(I think). I'm a novice to all that, both my last two bikes had MTB tires. I'm 5'6' and 250lbs so I need a sturdy bike that can handle my weight so I don't know if that will make a difference in my choices. I know this price range is probably low-mid end of bikes, but I think it will be a good start. Are there any advantages to have a (rock shox) type fork compared to a rigid fork? I have looked on line and like some of the following:
Trek Soho
Trek SU2.0
Trek 820 and others above this model within the $600 range
Specialized Hardrock
Gary Fisher Wahoo (Colors schemes suck for this bike)

I know there is a lot in this email. Any info. would be appreciated. I live in the western suburba of Chicago so if anyone out there from my area has a suggestion of a really good LBS let me know, I'll throw my business there way!

Thanks - JP
Old 06-29-08, 10:42 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'd go with the Specialized Hardrock. We see a lot of them come into the shop i work at. Not because it's a bad bike but because the owners ride them hard and the bikes need a little tlc from time to time.

Why not post something in the Great Lakes regional subforum? You should find lots of locals who can steer you toward a good bike shop. You may also find a few folks to ride with.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 06-29-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-29-08, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that you should know is that a 600 dollar bike is a lot better than a 300 dollar one. It will have a better fork, wheels and components. You can buy a pretty good hard tail bike at this price from any of the major companies.
Old 06-29-08, 12:40 PM
Chi-Chi Monger

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Synapse, 09 Marin Alpine Trail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
One thing that you should know is that a 600 dollar bike is a lot better than a 300 dollar one. It will have a better fork, wheels and components. You can buy a pretty good hard tail bike at this price from any of the major companies.
Yeah, if you really don't need suspension (and it sounds as though you don't) you can pick up a decent hard tail with nicer components and lighter overall weight...