Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike selection advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 09:42 PM
Cute, fluffy, and illegal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike selection advice

Hello. I have a friend that I'm trying to get to go biking with me. The issue is that he's enormous - 6'10" and 350ish pounds. Most of his weight is muscle so while he's currently trying to lose some fat, his overall weight probably won't go down all that much even as he gets more fit. Could anyone suggest a frame that might stand up to the stresses someone of his size would obviously put on a bike?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-08, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Normally the super tall people go for custom steel bikes if they can afford it. (lots of money)( > $2k i would think but have never looked at it)

Biggest (64 cm?) touring frame they can get, which built for handling extra weight for loads so it should be a nice road bike for him (Middle expense) ($600ish-1500)

Or Largest mtb he can get, can take the weight and be comfy (cheapest option) ($300-alot)
Old 06-29-08, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Steelman road bike, '81 Schwinn Le Tour single speed,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a mountain bike, check out the Kona Hoss or Specialized Hardrock. For something more road-worthy, check out a cyclocross bike and be sure on anything to get a good solid wheelset built up. A good shop will happily do this and only charge the difference between the custom and stock wheelsets. I've done this on 2 bikes so far and it's been a matter of about $150 more.