Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike fit

Old 06-30-08, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike fit

short people, i need your advice. i've been seeking a 50 - 51cm frame with the only requirement that it's an older bike. i prefer that aesthetic, and i like good-quality steel bikes, and blah blah blah.

but it seems like bikes made in the '70s (that weren't entry level models) usually came in sizes 53-54 and up... do you think it'd be possible to find an '80s frame in my size, or should i not bother?

and is there any particular brand i should be watching for? i notice centurion and some other japanese manufacturers offered smaller frames, so if there are certain names i should be on the lookout for, please enumerate them.
Old 06-30-08, 10:45 AM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure it is possible. But the greatest number of bikes made are 54-55. SO of older bikes those will be the most common to find. But there were smaller bike made in the 80s. 50-51 is not that uncommon. Just keep your eyes open.
Old 06-30-08, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring CL for a suitable bike for weeks. If you need a smaller frame, your used options are pretty limited. This is especially true for road bikes.
Old 06-30-08, 01:23 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Post your request in the Classic & Vintage forum, I know there are a couple of riders there who have sought out smaller frames. ANd they definitely understand the aesthetic for the classic styling.

I know one of the moderators, East Hill, rides a smaller frame, I don't recall specifically how small, but she may have some suggestions as well, and she hangs out in that forum.

Oh, and the C&V people will keep their eyes open for you too.

Just do a search for East Hill Alerts...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-01-08, 11:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madcalicojack
I'm in the same boat. I've been scouring CL for a suitable bike for weeks. If you need a smaller frame, your used options are pretty limited. This is especially true for road bikes.
yeah, I think it's particularly hard now because no one seems to want to sell their bike in the summer. a few months ago there were bianchis going for 120 on craig's list because of the high volume of ads during spring cleaning or whatever it was.

ebay's even more frustrating, none of the prices ever fit my budget or come close. and you know most of the people bidding on bikes/frames that size are probably looking for projects to build up for their girlfriends. psshhh, some of us need bikes for ourselves!

you should post a want ad on CL, those prove to be surprisingly effective.

Last edited by leerish; 07-01-08 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 11:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Post your request in the Classic & Vintage forum, I know there are a couple of riders there who have sought out smaller frames. ANd they definitely understand the aesthetic for the classic styling.

I know one of the moderators, East Hill, rides a smaller frame, I don't recall specifically how small, but she may have some suggestions as well, and she hangs out in that forum.

Oh, and the C&V people will keep their eyes open for you too.

Just do a search for East Hill Alerts...
noted! thank you. i pretty much live on C&V when i come around here, i'm actually not sure why i didn't post this there in the first place. hmm.

and on a completely unrelated note: are you really from wilks-barre? i know a lot of philly people who are from there, mostly ex-hardcore kids.