Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

stage 15 - Embrun Prato Nevoso 183 km Spoiler

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

stage 15 - Embrun Prato Nevoso 183 km Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinb
By reputation, I thought Evans was a fairly competent descender, though he's no Falco Salvodelli. I seem to remember him being much better than Chicken last year. Am I wrong?

The Schlecks... well, yeah.

Who out of the top 6 could possibly gain some time on tomorrow's descent?
watch last years lombardia, then you'll say he's (Cadel) no rasmussen on descents.

I doubt anyone will gain enough time on the final run in tomorrow to make too big a gap, unless Super Jens can get over top the 2nd climb in a break, sastre/schlecks beat up cadel and get away, then Super Jens takes whoever is with the CSC survivor to the line.

Cant wait to see what plays out tomorrow!
Old 07-21-08, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would love to see Jens win a stage this tour. That would be an awsome way to do it too.
Old 07-21-08, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Columbiafan

And is it just me or does kohl look like a bulldog when he climbs mountains lol...?
"Nodding like the dog in the proverbial car window" - Liggett
Old 07-21-08, 08:28 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowjeep
I would love to see Jens win a stage this tour. That would be an awsome way to do it too.
I like Jens too, but it won't happen on stage 16 or 17.
Old 07-21-08, 10:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh I know, its fun to think about though
Old 07-22-08, 12:15 AM
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you guys must have watched a different section of the race to the 20 km of flattish stuff where pate sat at the back, but then i guess he could well have just been there waiting for some garmin fellers to make it up to the front.

it is funny though that you americans like to bag the crap out of other riders like cadel evans for 'wheelsucking' even though there may be very valid tactical reasons for it, but then when someone points at an american rider wheelsucking (though there may also be equally valid reasons for that) you won't have a bar of criticism. what's with all these "double, or sliding, standards"?
Old 07-22-08, 01:04 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Honestly I have no problem with wheelsucking. I just dislike Cadel.
Old 07-22-08, 01:08 AM
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
at least you're honest! thanks. cadel isn't my favourite either, for those who think i carry a photo of him in my wallet.

i want big jan to come back, and indurain.

and robbie. where did he go this year?
Old 07-22-08, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
watch last years lombardia, then you'll say he's (Cadel) no rasmussen on descents.
He claimed his vision was effected by getting something in his eye coming of the Ghisallo IIRC. Still, he's not the worlds greatest descender by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-22-08, 04:54 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
Those guys he was riding with were better climbers than he was. And stronger. He even admitted that he almost got dropped on the first climb without doing anywork. He was just hanging on. Did you actually ride a bicycle? Have you ever climbed with stronger riders just trying to hang on to the back? Sometimes all you can do is hang on. That's what Gerrans was doing the same on the final climb until right at the end, but he won so good riding. Martinez was the strongest of all the four, but lost because thats racing. Further, Pate did equal work on the flats. You can go back to snuggling with your Cadel Evans doll now.
+1 on Pate doing his share and actually a bit more on the flats. The commentators even suggested he needed to work a bit less in case he was needed by Vandevelde. On all but the last climb, he did his share, not quite a 25% margin but close enough to satisfy the other riders. On the last climb, nobody would expect Pate to pace the stronger climbers to the top.

Cadel handled the attacks as best he could and lived to fight another day. Good thing for Andy Schleck the rest day arrived; he must've gone 110% with all those attacks.

Menchov, Sastre, Schleck know they have to gain more time on Cadel if they want to win this thing. I'd rather see Vandevelde also attack and have a time advantage to protect in the TT than to have to come from behind to win it. If it isn't sorted out on Stage 16, the Alpe D'Huez should settle it for the TT.

All in all, an awesome stage for what is a very exciting Tour.
Old 07-22-08, 10:33 AM
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urodacus
you guys must have watched a different section of the race to the 20 km of flattish stuff where pate sat at the back, but then i guess he could well have just been there waiting for some garmin fellers to make it up to the front.

it is funny though that you americans like to bag the crap out of other riders like cadel evans for 'wheelsucking' even though there may be very valid tactical reasons for it, but then when someone points at an american rider wheelsucking (though there may also be equally valid reasons for that) you won't have a bar of criticism. what's with all these "double, or sliding, standards"?
we americans like to bag the crap out of people who are clueless...like you. The race graphics had a workload distribution....it was equal.
Old 07-23-08, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by key
that was a very very scary crash.
What a crash. / Cycling pros are my hero figures. What a life that would be.? / Reason I am a wuss rider. Descents scare the hell out of me. Pros are not allowed to burn their brake pads. ?

^ Since January 1, 2012