Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Digital Displays and no Bifocals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a bifocal wearer that currently does not have prescription sun glasses and was wondering if youall have any advice on reading the digital displays on bicycle computers.
Old 07-07-08, 12:20 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Without glasses, I can barely tell time on my watch. Far vision is good enough to not require glasses to drive. I've recently been wearing cheap bifocal safety glasses (tinted for day and clear for night) from https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html. (My prescription progressive addition glasses are lousy for bicycling.)
Old 07-07-08, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Several years ago I cheaped out and got a pair of non-bifocal sunglasses. You never realize how often you check your bike computer or try to refer to a map while you're driving until you can't focus on the things. I wear bifocals all the time now - even my cycling sun glasses.
Old 07-07-08, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I use Optx 20/20 reading lenses (www.neoptx.com). They stick to the inside of your existing lenses, and work like a charm. 10 bucks a pair at Wallgreens.

SP
Old 07-07-08, 12:44 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
I use Optx 20/20 reading lenses (www.neoptx.com). They stick to the inside of your existing lenses, and work like a charm. 10 bucks a pair at Wallgreens.

SP
Thanks for the tip. I can read most of the info on my Cateye Astral 8 (if I am riding in the sunlight), but, have a bad time with the ride maps!
Old 07-07-08, 12:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ride with a mate and ask him how many miles you have done.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-07-08, 01:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that polarized sunglasses are also a hindrance to reading LCD displays - so having bi/multifocals may not help.
Old 07-07-08, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks bobbycorno will try the stick on ones. If they do not work it is only $10.
Old 07-07-08, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. I have to wonder how many bifocal wearers could get along fine without them. Since losing her (expensive) bifocals on an outing recently, Mrs. CW has been getting along just fine by using, as I do, a pair of cheap 'magnifying' reading glasses purchased at a budget chainstore. I hadn't been aware that her 'far vision' is perfectly fine, just as mine is. Damned if I can see the sense, actually, in spending a lot of money on prescription glasses if all they're gonna be is clear glass at the top and a magnifier at the bottom. I sorta think it's a bit deceitful and dishonest for the Optometrist to be prescribing those without clarifying that that's all they do - reinforce your 'laziness' about grabbing a pair of reading glasses from your pocket when you want to read something!

2. I use a quite simple and inexpensive cycle 'pooter. It's a 'wired' one which provides odometer, trip meter, trip time, average speed etc. Actual speeds and distances are large character display, and when riding I can't read the small text underneath. (Don't need to though.) Like all LCD displays it's unreadable when the sun is reflecting off it, so I shade the thing with my hand when I'm affected that way. Most of the time, though, it's fine.
Old 07-07-08, 05:17 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I wear progressive lenses off the bike but my cycling sunglasses are single vision set at my distance prescription. I have no problem reading the display on my Cateye computer. Unlike Catweazle, I can't see for s#^& without my glasses. I can read without them.
Old 07-07-08, 05:24 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Catweazle
1. I have to wonder how many bifocal wearers could get along fine without them. Since losing her (expensive) bifocals on an outing recently, Mrs. CW has been getting along just fine by using, as I do, a pair of cheap 'magnifying' reading glasses purchased at a budget chainstore. I hadn't been aware that her 'far vision' is perfectly fine, just as mine is. Damned if I can see the sense, actually, in spending a lot of money on prescription glasses if all they're gonna be is clear glass at the top and a magnifier at the bottom. I sorta think it's a bit deceitful and dishonest for the Optometrist to be prescribing those without clarifying that that's all they do - reinforce your 'laziness' about grabbing a pair of reading glasses from your pocket when you want to read something!

2. I use a quite simple and inexpensive cycle 'pooter. It's a 'wired' one which provides odometer, trip meter, trip time, average speed etc. Actual speeds and distances are large character display, and when riding I can't read the small text underneath. (Don't need to though.) Like all LCD displays it's unreadable when the sun is reflecting off it, so I shade the thing with my hand when I'm affected that way. Most of the time, though, it's fine.

You and your wife are so fortunate!
Old 07-07-08, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Several choices as mentioned.
Clip-ons another idea.
Puter with larger numbers.
Ride a tandem and stoker gets computer.
Old 07-07-08, 06:30 PM
Feelin' ten again!

Bikes: Rans Enduro Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also wear bifocals but have the progressive lenses - I work with computers so the top is for distance, the middle for computer/desk work, the bottom for reading. They are a little more expensive than regular glasses, but they fit my lifestyle better so they're worth a few extra bucks. We just started biking, but I have had no trouble reading the bike computer with these. I also have contacts just for distance (and vanity ) and I just use reading glasses from the dollar store when I wear those. I haven't used my contacts while biking as they tend to really dry my eyes if it's even a little windy.
Old 07-07-08, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviatrix58
I also wear bifocals but have the progressive lenses - I work with computers so the top is for distance, the middle for computer/desk work, the bottom for reading. They are a little more expensive than regular glasses, but they fit my lifestyle better so they're worth a few extra bucks. We just started biking, but I have had no trouble reading the bike computer with these. I also have contacts just for distance (and vanity ) and I just use reading glasses from the dollar store when I wear those. I haven't used my contacts while biking as they tend to really dry my eyes if it's even a little windy.

I am the exact opposite.
My progressive glasses are fine off the bike - but I find I am usually looking OVER the top when riding my road bike.

I ONLY wear my contacts while biking- my eyes get too dry if I wear them indoors. I can read the bike computer okay with contacts but I can't read maps (or menus- if I stop for lunch.)
Old 07-07-08, 09:30 PM
deep stuff

Bikes: Road, Touring, Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got some $7 Wal-Mart stick-on bifocal lenses for my $5 sunglasses and they are marvelous! Now I can read everything on the bike computer! I even think I can now change a flat without bringing along another pair of glasses.
Old 07-07-08, 10:54 PM
I make stuff up

Bikes: '85 Ritchey Commando, '96 Specialized Sirrus, '06 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Without glasses, I can barely tell time on my watch. Far vision is good enough to not require glasses to drive. I've recently been wearing cheap bifocal safety glasses (tinted for day and clear for night) from https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html. (My prescription progressive addition glasses are lousy for bicycling.)
+1

Lots of choices, great service.

As far as prescription glasses go, I wear them all the time, mostly for the multiple levels of bifocals (trifocals). Also have a very slight astigmatism that doesn't really affect distance vision, but the 'scrip glasses definitely sharpen things up.

Mr Catweazle sir, you are entitled to your opinion, but drug store reading glasses just don't cut it if you do lots of close work.

Last edited by MrPhil; 07-07-08 at 11:02 PM. Reason: I had more to say.
Old 07-07-08, 11:31 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPhil
Mr Catweazle sir, you are entitled to your opinion, but drug store reading glasses just don't cut it if you do lots of close work.
Hi MrPhil. I wasn't trying or seeking to force an opinion on anyone with that comment above. I was only reflecting upon the scenario in relation to those people for whom 'drugstore reading glasses' DO cut it.

People like me, who has now handled several years of professional writing as well as all the other fine, fiddly and tiny tasks that daily life throws up, using only cheapie reading glasses. People like Mrs. CW too, who can get by just as well as I can. As Dnvr said above, we're lucky!
Old 07-08-08, 04:48 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used the stick-ons this year, and they've worked out great. Now I can actually read the cue sheets they hand out on organized century rides
Old 07-08-08, 04:01 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPhil
+1

...but drug store reading glasses just don't cut it if you do lots of close work.
Curious. I have avoided bifocals in favor of separate reading glasses because both are just magnification and the reading glasses give a bigger field of view. So how are bifocals better than reading glasses?
Old 07-08-08, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Curious. I have avoided bifocals in favor of separate reading glasses because both are just magnification and the reading glasses give a bigger field of view. So how are bifocals better than reading glasses?
The reference was to drug store reading glasses, not reading glasses made to a prescription from an optometrist. Bifocals let you do things like read the TV Guide and watch the TV without fumbling around switching glasses...

I wear bifocals for most purposes, including reading...the small field of view is no problem, except when I'm using my computer. Then, the near vision portion of the bifocal is in the wrong place, and I have to crane my neck to read the monitor. The problem is not magnification but rather focus...both my eyes have had their lenses removed and replaced with plastic implants, and no longer are capable of changing focus. So, for computer use, I had special computer glasses made, with the full lens set to focus at the distance of the monitor. They prevent a literal pain in the neck.